Close

Default 88 Turbo Bird rough start up

I have a 1988 Turbo TBird, and the car runs pretty good for its age but it has a very persistent issue on start up. The car will stutter several times from 250 rpm to 1250rpm but will stop after running for about 15 seconds and run fine after. I have tracked down a few bad parts but nothing seems to be affecting the main start up problem. Timing is set at 10, it is a hotter coil, 8mm wires and copper plugs. I have taken the car to another shop and even they could not identify the problem.

FEP Super Member

Have you checked fuel preasure .
    I am assuming you are stating this happens when cold after sitting over nite ?
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

It happens at random. sometimes it happens on cold starts and sometimes it happens when the car has been running. I am running about 35psi of fuel pressure. I had this problem before, and found the alternator was over charging cutting the spark. but now it is back and it is not the spark that I am losing.

Check grounds.

How many ground wires are there in the engine bay? I have checked the, ground above the break booster, left of the cylinder head on the fire wall, battery grounds, head light and horn grounds. I know that I missed some, where else should I look?

Codes.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I will check for codes, but I am going to put the car off to the side for awhile due to the turbo seals going out. Waiting on parts