Close

Default New vintage USA gauge cluster

Anyone have experience with these gauges? I was looking into retrofitting my gauge cluster with autometer gauges and ran across these nvu clusters designed to replace the original cluster. At 699 for the whole cluster with sending units, that's cheap compared to buying all autometer stuff. Here's a link to lmrs website.

https://lmr.com/item/NVU-7911103/79-...-cluster-white

The price is attractive (I suppose), but they're offering perhaps the ugliest package New Vintage USA makes for theEye: http://newvintageusallc.mybigcommerc...-86-mustang-1/

Mike

Care to expand on what makes the package ugly? I think they look pretty nice. I'm not sure they're as accurate as an autometer or Dakota digital gauge but i dont see them as butt ugly. Lol. The cfr and aviator series aren't exactly what i would call beautiful... But the performance and performance 2 series look similar to autometer stuff to me.
    Last edited by 79mustang; 01-13-2018 at 10:45 AM.

From what I've seen, the New Vintage gauges offer adjustablity behind the gauge panels. The Dakota Digital unit is all one piece.

Personally I like them and think they look pretty decent. There are a couple of different options such as white face, colors, fonts, etc. So most likely you can find one that you like or goes with your interior/car theme.

I don't have any experience with them, but I would assume their accuracy is better than stock and probably on par with most aftermarket gauges. Their price point is very competitive with going with individual gauges such as Autometer, Stewart Warner, VDO, Speedhut, etc. The advantage to this setup is you don't have to modify your instrument cluster or make a custom setup to hold the gauges. Definitely something to consider IMHO.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustang View Post
    Care to expand on what makes the package ugly? I think they look pretty nice. I'm not sure they're as accurate as an autometer or Dakota digital gauge but i dont see them as butt ugly. Lol. The cfr and aviator series aren't exactly what i would call beautiful... But the performance and performance 2 series look similar to autometer stuff to me.
    It's just a matter of personal taste. I don't care for any of them, none of them are something I'd like to spend time looking at. If you like them, fine, use them.

Mike

Fwiw, I personally can't stand white backgrounds. Fwiw, the pages of newspapers, books, etc are not "white". They are at best "off white".
    I also don't like spending money on POS inaccurate 90 degree sweep gauges.

With the above said, about the gauges, I think the option below looks decent, and goes with the style of a 4-eye Stang.

http://newvintageusallc.mybigcommerc...ance-ii-black/

Stock '86 Dash:

Imho, IF the above is worth $900 and the time need to install, is a personal choice.
    I am glad that we do now have more options.
    Although, for me, the lack of an odometer means an immediate disqualification Especially, since I figure that it'll be ~2+ years before I get around to replacing the fuel level sender (now works when it feels like) along with a new tank, pump, etc. I've had all of the stuff for the past two years. It's in my big pile of Stang mods/stuff in my basement.

Fwiw, my 4-eye dash is okay. Even if the POS "amp" meter stopped working after a few years after the car was bought.
    Yea, real values would be nice on the gauges. But, for my gauges and sensors, I know the relative areas.
    If I had more time or desire for more mods, then I might consider the above gauges.
    Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 01-13-2018 at 04:35 PM.

All personal preferences.

Personally I dislike white backgrounds gauges as I find black background a lot easier to read.

The factory gauges work just fine if they are fixed correctly and maintained. I like the original stuff all dolled up and looking new and working properly. And of course switched to an 8K tach and 140 or 170 MPH speedometer.
    Last edited by erratic50; 01-13-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Font on 86 stock gauges are easy to read and still look modern.
    Better than the early style, which look kind of dated.

Noticed that company is not too far from me in Ferndale MI.
    Know the area well. Not far from loc of August WDC Mustang Alley.
    Noted listing of alternate sources to purchase product.

Personally, have no use for 140 mph speedo for daily driving.
    85 more than enough. Needle at 3 o'clock looks fast too.
    The old days. Will the car bury the speedo?
    Waste of space. Needle never gets past 1/2 way.
    A wide sweep is more accurate to read quickly.
    Like in a speed trap.

At least they show how the products look at night.
    Wish my 79 dials lit as good as my 93 Ranger.
    Font, markings are plain and sharp day or night, clearly backlit greenblue, needle match.
    Just right bright, no lighting washout. Well done without all the led jazz.
    85 Ranger had clear read speedo too.

$700 gauges for a $700 car????
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

If thats the only response you have, dont waste your or our time. People spend money on what ever they like.

Well, honestly I've twisted off the cable on the ol 85 mph a few times.

Twice during attempted car jacking and once running from some guys in a gang that were trying to initiate a new member by killing someone-- me!

The next time we met was also nearly the death of me. 8 on 1 - they had knives and chains and I had nothing. Definitely lucky to have survived that one without any punctures or broken bones. Had a case of PTSD after that one for several years. Green belt came in handy that day.

Anyway..... back to going over 85. It might have been nice to know how fast I was going for the police reports while I was running for my life, being shot at, etc.

That pin at the bottom on the cars with the trip meter stops the needle while my 86 is still in 3rd. In those situations I have had absolutely no intention of slowing down. Each time the threat faded away in the rear-view as I wound out 4th and banged 5th. Mile markers suggest somewhere north of 180.... but who knows. Those are times a 140 or a 170 are useful.

the other times something past 85 is useful are mostly at the track. Running the 1/4 or standing mile or on a road course.

Agreed - when going slower the 85's are more accurate.

Reduced accuracy won't discourage me from putting my official 170 Saleen cluster in my Four Eyed Saleen clone or throwing my BBK into my 86.

My grandpa's last words to me less than an hour before he died was literally "don't drive over 100". It's good advice. Better to drive slower, but things get more dangerous quickly as the mph increases.
    Last edited by erratic50; 01-13-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    If thats the only response you have, dont waste your or our time. People spend money on what ever they like.
    I agree! :-)
    Plus, who the in their right mind would have/buy a 30+ year old car that is needed as transportation or a daily driver?!
    In most of New England, we require insurance on all registered vehicles. Plus, we have property tax. So, even just the yearly cost of having an 4-eye is something to consider. I know that everyone has their own budgets.

I wonder how much some people pay per month for their cell phone, cable, alcohol, and/or smokes.
    I don't have cable TV - no need for me. I'm not a big TV watcher. My cell phone is less than $200/year. Again, for me, it's rare for me to get get even close to 10% of my monthly limits. And, if ever needed, I could add minutes, texts, or data for the month.

My cars are also my toys, my hobby, my way to enjoy life.|
    Some people drink, gamble, smoke, go to hookers. I don't do any of those. Fwiw, *I* never ever liked the taste of alcohol.
    Now, sugar, and Chocolate - I could eat either of those until I exploded from eating!

Although, *I* actually like the gauges that I listed more than my stock gauges, I honestly don't know when I'd ever get around to putting them in. I have mods/parts that I bought over 10 years ago, still waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Like I said, my cars are my hobby and my fun.

And, I recently bought another toy(car) to play with. It reminded my of my rear wheel drive hatchback coupe Stang, but in a newer style.
    Similar to super nice Cougar ( http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Mercury-Cougar ) that erratic50 stole from me! ;-)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...4&d=1514933695

I personally really don't like the 85 mile per hour Speedos mainly because I have areas in almost every direction where the speed limit is 80 miles an hour. the reason for the hundred 40 mile-an-hour speed indicator is so that the gauge is in the center so you can quickly look at a glance when you're going freeway speeds and all the gauges are pointed the same direction
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar