Close

Hybrid View

Default 1979 rear brake lines

I swapped a v8 into my 4 cyl pace car. I'm getting ready to swap in a 4-lug 8.8 with drums from an 88gt. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? I'm running dual exhaust and it's my understanding that the soft hose will rub with dual exhaust. My brake lines also run inside the car and exit under the passenger side rear seat. I'd like to avoid replacing the entire brake line system, if possible. All of the hard lines appear to be in great shape, with the exception of the rear hard line that runs across the rear axle. It has a small leak somewhere toward the middle.

If you have the proper tools and are willing, you can cut and flare the rear line at a convenient location. Then using a union run a separate line from the original to the location where the hard line attaches to the rubber line that goes down to the axle.

I would recommend running the hard lines that are on the 8.8 rather than reusing the original axle hard line. If you don't have the hard line on the axle, you can again consider making your own to connect from the wheel cylinders to the junction on the driver side of the differential. Otherwise new pre bent lines will be needed.

Here is the upper hard line/rubber line union that you will need.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2073BRKT/mu...-bracket-86-93

You will need an 86-93 V8 rear brake hose from your local auto parts store or online if you wish.

Here are the rear axle hard lines if you don't want to make your own.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-MU1016C/mus...ake-line-87-93
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

That's great info! Once again, thanks for the tips! But I'm still a little confused. If I was home (I'm working on the river currently), I could look at my 88 to compare. The main brake line that leads to the union, aren't they different when comparing 79 to 86-93? It seems like the 79 hard line wouldn't reach the rubber brake hose unless I made an extension out of brake line tubing. Am I mistaken? I'm sure I can figure something out once I get under it, but I'm trying my best to get everything I need so I can knock it out quick and get it in for paint.

FEP Supporter

I think that is what Trey was trying to explain that you needed to cut the existing line back, then flare and add a union or coupling fitting. From there "run a separate line from the original (location) to the (new) location (where the banjo bracket it to connect to the flex to new axle)"

I honestly am surprised that no one has offered to supply a conversion kit for this. A lot of whole brake line kits but this would be a good mod kit.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I think that is what Trey was trying to explain that you needed to cut the existing line back, then flare and add a union or coupling fitting. From there "run a separate line from the original (location) to the (new) location (where the banjo bracket it to connect to the flex to new axle)"

I honestly am surprised that no one has offered to supply a conversion kit for this. A lot of whole brake line kits but this would be a good mod kit.
    Ok, then yes, that would work fine. I just didn't know if there was a kit like you mentioned. Basically, it would be a close copy of the 8.8 drum brake hard line but the connection for the rubber line would be on the passenger side. Thanks for clarifying. I mentioned in my original post that the hard line had a small leak and I thought he was suggesting I splice in a piece of brake tubing to repair it and then use it by swapping over to the new rear end.

I do have a flaring kit and can make my own line. I think I just need a tubing bender for doing sharper bends without kinking it.

84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

If you are only doing a bit of brake work the tools linked to above will do just fine.

If you are doing a lot of custom work or just want a really nice set of benders then I recommend something like these:

https://www.eastwood.com/tubing-bend...liers-kit.html

Name:  Brake Tube Benders.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  38.5 KB

I also have two different sizes of this style and recommend them too.

https://www.eastwood.com/tubing-bender-rolling.html

Name:  Brake Tube Bender.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  24.8 KB

All of these can be used on any hard line including brake, fuel, transmission, etc.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Yes, what I was trying to say was cut your existing rear brake line at a convenient location. Install a new fitting over the line and flare the line. This will allow you to connect the line at that point to a union and then make a new extension from the original line to the required location for the dual exhaust brake line fitting that I linked to.

This is exactly what I did on my 79 PC. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the work and honestly I don't think I can get any good pictures of the brake lines with exhaust, etc. in place under the car.

IIRC, I cut the line under the car just after it comes out around the tunnel/lower torque box. I don't remember the exactly location since its been a few years. I believe I left enough line to be able to cut/hold/flare/etc. I installed the new fitting and flared the line. Then after that was done, I carefully bent it back towards the body and added the union. Then I made my own custom line the extended from the union over to the new hard line/rubber hose fitting. My PC has a Cobra IRS, so after the fitting my brake lines are a bit different, but everything before that is the same as the solid axle V8 dual exhaust cars. Hope that helps to clear things up a bit and good luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks. I just ordered a tubing bender similar to the Eastwood one. I'll have plenty more brake line to run, I'm sure. The one I ordered was from summit. They're only a couple hrs from the house and they have good stickers lol

Default reusing original brakeline

Ive attached some pics for reference.
    Original brake line with a new line that runs over to LMR's bracket on frame by rear diff
    The rear flex is for the 8.8. I modified it a bit so it sits better on the 7.5 diff mounting point.
    I added a couple of holes to angled the bracket for better flex motion.

Name:  rear hard line mtg.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  87.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    'BP 347, Weiand 8124, 1.6rr, 4180, shorty headers, 2:1 3" exhaust, 7.5" 3.73,
    http://s875.photobucket.com/user/pet...?sort=3&page=1