Close

Default A Couple Electrical Gremlins since finishing the reassembly

So, my car was totally gutted when I got it last May, and I have recently finished swapping in all harnesses except for the roof harness, and got the dash and interior completely installed last week.

I have a couple of anomalies that have showed up (besides the headlight switch issue, which my other thread seems to be addressing).

First - My brake light is all at all times. I checked the connection at the E-Brake, and it looks fine, but will check continuity to make sure the switch is ok. The brake switch on the proportioning valve is intact, and is connected to the harness. Are there any other items that could be keeping this light on? It should go off when the E-brake is not engaged, correct?

Next - When I turn the headlight switch on, the headlight buzzer comes on, and regardless of whether the door is open or closed, it stays on. So driving down the road, its on at all times if the headlights are on. My guess is that it is probably one of the door switches?

So far, I think that's it for now.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

Iirc there is a switch on the ebrake that may be adjusted. It looks like the door jamb switch I think. Check to make sure the brake handle pushes on it and make sure the ground is good.
    Also. You do have brake fluid in the system right? If so maybe give the brakes a good bleeding and see what happens. You might simply have a bad switch on the prop valve too

Hi Vdubn and all,

I had (have) this problem. After tracing everything out and finding all the components ok, I figured the signal must be getting grounded somewhere. All the wiring was accessible except for where the bundle goes through the dash. I ended up cutting the tape that wrapped the bundle on both sides of the firewall and loosened things up and the problem went away. It isn't a solution I like, but I won't go any farther with it until I have to take the dash out for a heater core or evaporator replacement. Fire extinguisher install should be next!
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Iirc there is a switch on the ebrake that may be adjusted. It looks like the door jamb switch I think. Check to make sure the brake handle pushes on it and make sure the ground is good.
    Also. You do have brake fluid in the system right? If so maybe give the brakes a good bleeding and see what happens. You might simply have a bad switch on the prop valve too
    I checked the ebrake switch, and its opening and closing, but it may not be making good connection. I will jump it, and see if anything changes, and also jump the one on the prop valve, and see if anything changes there.

Brakes feel great, and I just bled them, and there is no level sensor wiring in my 1986 engine harness, so I don't think there is anything that checks the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir.

WilliamCapri, that is strange. I checked all of my wires before running them back through the firewall, so hopefully there aren't any issues there.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).