Close

Default 88 Turbo Bird rear window trim

I have a 1988 Turbo Coup, the car is in good shape, except for the rear window trim. I don't know if it was a common option or an end of the year thing for the car, but the rear window trim is rubber and it is sun baked, chipped, and cracked. But I am afraid to mess with it, because I don't know if I can replace it with the Aluminum trim form another car I have trim from a parts car but I don't know if it needs the small pegs for the clips or if I will have to ruin beautiful 30 year old Vermillion red paint to weld.

The 87 cars with the aluminum trim do require the studs that aren’t on the cars with the rubber/vinyl trim. The soft trim is near impossible to find as you probably know. After a long time looking, I found one several years ago through a glass supplier.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

I am no expert on the T Birds since I have never owned one, just lusted at them from afar.

If going to the metal window trim is the only option you may be able to spot weld in the rivets needed for the molding clips. You will need a stud welding gun such as this: https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/uni...0-p-10299.aspx

Name:  Uni-Spotter-Stinger-Plus-Kit---5500.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  117.6 KB

You don't necessarily need this extensive a kit, but you do need the Body side molding Rivets and the Required tip for those Rivets. You could purchase one of the smaller kits and possibly add those items separately. Otherwise find a shop that has the setup and pay them.

If don't carefully and correctly, you should be able to spot weld the required rivet/stud in without damaging the exterior paint. You will need to use cold wash clothes soaked with water around the area for each weld, but it can be done.

The other option is to carefully drill a hole for each clip and pop rivet them into place. That is a way some repairs are done to prevent having to weld with new or existing goo paint. It works just fine other than if the clips need to be replaced at some point in time, the rivet has to drilled out rather than just popping the clip off the stud. Hope that helps and Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Welding is my last option, but thinks for info Wraithracing. But I will look around for the rubber trim replacement, by any chance do you remember the name of the glass supplier Fearnot?

Quote Originally Posted by EverydayBirdStuff View Post
    Welding is my last option, but thinks for info Wraithracing. But I will look around for the rubber trim replacement, by any chance do you remember the name of the glass supplier Fearnot?
    I don't blame you on that one. It would be my last option too, just wanted to make you aware that it can work if attention and care is exercised, so at least you have options. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Pop rivets is the direction I would go as it's longer lasting.. The 87 trim looks better anyway imo.

Talk to a local glass shop that does auto glass. See if maybe they can come up with some universal rubber moulding that would work. Wouldn't be factory correct, of course, but might be feasible if you just want it looking better. If you find something that fits ok, I doubt most people would notice the difference unless you point it out. My buddy owns a small glass shop and did something similar for an old camaro, iirc. Turned out great and, although not correct, looked better than factory on that particular car.

I second the glass shop. I found a place here in Tucson that had a universal gasket they could install. They said they'd have to remove the glass to do it, because the molding mounts around the glass. It was about 4 yrs ago, and I think they quoted about $75. I never did get it done since my car is in need of paint. I would rather have a newer, not quite correct seal than a 30 yr old original that probably won't last very long once it's exposed to the elements

Quote Originally Posted by EverydayBirdStuff View Post
    Can’t remember off hand. I’ll look at the box it’s in and see if there’s a shipping label with the name on it.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

I will look into the universal molding kit, don't really have a local glass shop near me, the only shop is 50 miles away so that may take me some time to get there.