Hello, all:

I finally got the 86 back together with the timing cover difficulties, broken water pump bolt, leaks, repairs, etc. New battery and starter relay. Runs strong, timing spot on- very happy. But I still have a clunk underneath the right rear on rougher roads. Haven't been able to road test it much but may try again.

I spent some time underneath and tried to move everything I could get my hands on. All four shocks are solid. Control arms don't move but the small portion of the rubber bushings I could see- 32 years old and counting- seem very dry and brittle, especially the uppers. I know finding correct factory rubber bushings can be a chore. I have a replacement set of rear lower arms with good bushings all around. That might save a few dollars and hours.

I can push the right rear corner down and get a mild clunk/ squeak from behind the wheel. I pulled both wheels off and the only thing that moved was each axle maybe an eighth of an inch if that. Which I found odd. The differential was rebuilt maybe five years back and maybe 40,000 miles. I have heard nothing from it and no wheel bearing noises either. Springs intact and mounted correctly. Brakes looked good as well. New shoes and hardware two years ago. Exhaust system hardly budges and no loose brake or fuel lines, not even the filter. All good.

Chances of the culprit being the bushings? Wouldn't hurt to change them so I'll likely plan to replace them this Spring. Any other checks I could do while the temp here is still nice?

Thanks everyone.
M