Close

Default RIDE OF THE MONTH 2018 Possibilities

Happy New Year Everyone!

The Ride of the Month had some issues the later part of last year, then with my personal family issues, I wasn't able to find the time to resurrect it and keep it going for that I would like to apologize. I believe there are many of us here that enjoy the Ride of the Month and would like to see it continue as a way to enjoy and give a little bit of recognition to our fellow members and their rides.

I know one common issue has been getting enough nominations each month as well as getting a unique field of rides every month. Unfortunately there seems to be a bit of a stigma for some that their cars aren't nice enough, cool enough, finished enough, or popular enough to compete much less win the voting. I also am aware that we had the same cars nominated multiple times that caused some issues.

I am also aware that more and more Forums are losing members and visitors to the FB pages which is a constant issue for not only this Forum but many others. I personally am not on FB and really have no desire to join the masses as I have too much going on my life already and adding one more daily chore of checking my status and that of all my friends just doesn't work for me. Please don't take that as FB Bashing. My wife is on FB all the time and I really don't care either way. I am sure being a bit older (49 this March! ) I am just not the social media type and I am fine with that. With that said, I would really like FEP to have the ROTM and have a great one every month to help showcase not only the Four Eyed Pride that we have, but to help show the rest of the internet what cool cars they are and how much we enjoy them.

So . . . . The reason for this post is to try and get some input on how we can improve the ROTM and make it easier, more enjoyable, and more inviting to as many members as possible. I have posted questions like this before and we have had some good suggestions, comments, and ideas. We have also had the Anger, Disappointment, Frustrations, and Irritations too! Unfortunately all the great Administrators, Moderators, etc. here on FEP are unpaid and unsung Heroes. This is all done in spare time, after hours, when possible, and at times labors of love for the FEP Website, members, and the cars. That means that unfortunately everyone involved still has to earn a paycheck somehow/somewhere else which always limits their time on FEP. For me personally in regards to the ROTM I generally spend 30 minutes to an hour to get the First Nominations Open post of the month up. Then the Voting Poll Thread can take on average 1-2 hours depending on photo issues, etc. (Thanks! PHOTOBucket! ) Then there is the Ride of the Month Feature Article on the Home page that can take multiple emails, PMs, etc. to get the information needed and then sometimes a couple of hours to put it all into some semblance of a readable/interesting article. Then finally 30 minutes to an hour to actually post the article on the home page. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing all of this and actually enjoy the process when I have willing and helpful nominees and winner. When the nominees are MIA and the winner provides me with little to no information or details about the car, well then it becomes much more difficult and less enjoyable. I stated all of that not to whine and cry about this, but to give some of the behind the curtain issues that myself and others deal with when doing these types of "Projects" I hope that will entice others to put forth a bit more effort and thought into their participation in these "Projects" as well.

That's enough about all of that, so the big question here is what do the members want to see, want to do, how do we move forward, how do we make this better, Do we even mess with this at all?

The last couple of years I have tried to put together a calendar for FEP members to enjoy and help support the site as much as possible. The ROTM is an excellent way to get the photos needed to put together a nice, decent calendar. Again we need the help of the members and the participants. Decent quality photos are a MUST! Now not everyone owns a professional camera, but some people do. You probably even have a friend that does. The cameras on our phones these days are pretty impressive in many ways, but again we as the photographer need to do our best to take good/great pictures of our cars. This isn't really that difficult it just takes a little bit of extra time and planning to make an ok picture turn out to be a really good if Not Great picture. There's even a sticky at the top of the thread to help out those of us who are inexperienced and/or challenged with taking good pictures. Bottom line is if we can all help out with this then I believe we can keep the ROTM going and also have the ability to put together a nice yearly calendar to enjoy all the Four eyes every month and help support our favorite Mustang site.

Thanks for reading thru all of this! I appreciate it and look forward to the discussion and ideas that hopefully I have stirred up!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member burntorange84's Avatar

Trey

I just got back on today and was curious how your Dad was doing. Don't feel you need to answer here...

My lack of participation if also due to the season of life, and I am grateful for all you put into FEP, thanks Trey.

Suggestions on ROTM:
    1. A quick link on the home page when voting is requested. Or even a member email (to those who request to be emailed on ROTM threads). ( I frankly vary when I get on to FEP these days)

2. Do away with voting and just make a large pool of fellow members who submit someone's car. This way a ROTM comes out each month b/c you have time to get what you need from the submitter and owner, hopefully the first time at submission. This also takes the contest away obviously, but I just like reading about someone else's ride without an entire 4 page show-in-tell thread; which I enjoy those also.

my quick 2 cents,

-j

Thanks for the response. Dad is doing ok, I won't get into all the details here, but things are not getting better unfortunately. I will be back down in Round Rock the end of the month to help out with Dad and their house.

I agree, I probably need to work on getting the ROTM better promoted this includes the Home page and the FB page.

The discussion of picking a Ride to feature every month instead of the nominations and voting poll have been brought up behind closed doors here on FEP. The concern has been "How do we decide which car?" "Who gets to decide which car?" "What is the process, rules, etc. for choosing said car?" "Last how do we ensure that the process is as fair and equitable as possible?" Unfortunately just as with the member lead voting poll and nomination process there are some that feel they have been cheated, overlooked, etc. and therefore the whole process is flawed. Yes, I know this doesn't happen every time, nor every month, but we do still have problems and issues with members not being happy with the process nor the outcome.

Please understand, I am not so disillusioned to think that we can please all the people all of the time. Although I would love to please most of the people here on FEP most of the time! Good start, so let's keep the discussion going! Thanks!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I personally liked the way it was being done before. I to am a bit aged "50" and have never used FB nor plan to. I would like to see maybe 2 or 3 times out of the year some under construction ROTM's.

The past method has been pretty good. And your efforts are much appreciated.

PB is my big issue as you really have to dig hard to find photos. A few suggestions
    1) limit RoTM to 3 cars max per month.
    2) 2 photos min per nomination
    3) don’t get too hung up on publishing the ROTM winner. If the winnner cooperates, great. If not, just post a few photos and move on.

In other words, keep it simple.

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

The biggest problem I have with nominating is remembering who the car belongs to. I might think of a car I would like to nominate, but can't find the pictures. Maybe a thread with pictures of members cars and a little description. Could be a thread for each year and model. Say you feel like nominating an 1985 Capri, you could go to that thread and find one you like. The Photobucket mess is beating up all the car sites I go on.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    The past method has been pretty good. And your efforts are much appreciated.

PB is my big issue as you really have to dig hard to find photos. A few suggestions
    1) limit RoTM to 3 cars max per month.
    2) 2 photos min per nomination
    3) don’t get too hung up on publishing the ROTM winner. If the winnner cooperates, great. If not, just post a few photos and move on.

In other words, keep it simple.

JT
    I personally like the nominations coming from the crowd if you know what I mean. I don't want to be responsible for it every month nor do I want the issues that come with that either.

I am not opposed to limiting the field to 3 cars a month. That may make things easier, but even then we have had issues get that number a few times.

The rules state 3-4 photos per nomination. I constantly have issues with either too few photos or someone that wants to post 5, 6, etc.

I have considered not worrying too much about the ROTM write up. I greatly appreciate it when the winners cooperate and give me plenty of material to work with. I enjoy trying to make the article interesting and informative for the readers, but once again I need the details and information to work with.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    The biggest problem I have with nominating is remembering who the car belongs to. I might think of a car I would like to nominate, but can't find the pictures. Maybe a thread with pictures of members cars and a little description. Could be a thread for each year and model. Say you feel like nominating an 1985 Capri, you could go to that thread and find one you like. The Photobucket mess is beating up all the car sites I go on.

Jess
    Jess, that isn't a bad idea. IIRC, there used to be a photo directory for each year and model a few years ago. I think that may have been lost or corrupt when there was a server change or something else. It was nice to look thru A LOT of different Foxes when you felt like it. I can talk to the powers that be here on FEP and see if maybe we can try and rebuild/resurrect/start anew a photo gallery of the different years and models. The biggest issue once again in regards to the actual ROTM article is nominating a car owned by an active member that will participate. Maybe we can do something with the list that requires them to give the basic details about the car upon initial posting, Engine size, transmission, interior, optional equipment, etc. That would be cool and very helpful if we could make it work. Not sure what all is involved, but maybe we can come up with something.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I personally like the nominations coming from the crowd if you know what I mean.
    Yes, that's what I meant. Keep the nominations coming in from the members.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Here once again is an issue IMHO that we have here on FEP. I understand that not everyone will have input or comments, and often someone else will have the same idea or comment as others and therefore there's no reason to double post.

But . . . we have 4 members that have commented in this thread yet 46 members that have at least read/looked at it. So once again we have less than 10% participation from the crowd. I would really like to get more than that if possible. I fully understand that we won't get 100%, but is 50% really too much to ask. Even if you don't have any new or different ideas/comments/etc. I would appreciate it if those that agree or have the same thoughts/ideas/etc. as those that have been posted can at least post stating as much. That helps us determine what changes if any we make.

Thanks!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Trey,

I have always liked the ROTM but miss the deadlines more often then not. Maybe have Color of the Month and Then a Custom color month. I woo would like to see daily drivers and car being worked on.

Posting pictures is a lot easier on FB then here. But maybe it's just me.

And I have not gotten a email about a topic from FEP in months and still don't know why. And have asked with no help
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Can't say anything about ROTM, since I haven't been here so often. But if you are using Tapatalk, pictures are send as easy as FB. Those good quality pics are "hard" to download everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by plumkrazy View Post
    Trey,

I have always liked the ROTM but miss the deadlines more often then not. Maybe have Color of the Month and Then a Custom color month. I woo would like to see daily drivers and car being worked on.

Posting pictures is a lot easier on FB then here. But maybe it's just me.

And I have not gotten a email about a topic from FEP in months and still don't know why. And have asked with no help
    Thanks for the reply.

I understand that FB is easier for some, but there are some downsides to FB also. I think I need to do a better job of promoting ROTM on FB, but I don't feel we want to move it to FB just yet.

I generally don't have issues loading photos here, maybe because I do it so often that it's pretty easy. I will admit that the new image attachment setup is different than before and I am not a fan since I seem to have to load pictures one at a time rather than being able to load up to 5 at a time.

We have considered and a few times done things such as a specific color, specific model, convertible, T-top, etc. I tried doing a Work in Progress/Project Car and that was an EPIC Failure! Not sure why but it was, I was hoping to get a lot of participation and attention with that one, but . . . .

As for the site sending out Email updates, I am not sure what is going on or what might be wrong. That is above my pay grade. I occasionally get email updates, but definitely not on a regular basis. I can try and check into that with the powers that be.

Thanks!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Firebolt View Post
    Can't say anything about ROTM, since I haven't been here so often. But if you are using Tapatalk, pictures are send as easy as FB. Those good quality pics are "hard" to download everywhere.
    I completely understand the difficulty with loading large or Hi Def pictures and I am not asking for that with each an every Nominee.

I would like to get at least one or two Hi Def pictures for each Winner that makes doing a Calendar much easier and better. The other option is that members/owners can send me their pictures directly via email (provided by PM) and I can post the picture here on FEP and/or save it for use in the Calendar/etc/

Thanks!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Senior Member burntorange84's Avatar

I don't use FB, but have thought about using tapatalk just for this site on my phone...but that doesn't solve anything.

-j

I like the ROTM idea and tried to at least vote for them. I never nominated a car though and I think that is the part of the process that need to be simple. Would it work to have a nomination pool that three or four cars could be selected from each month. People could nominate cars at any time and submit it into the pool. Multiple nominations would bump a car up in the list for earlier selection for the monthly voting. If the nomination levels were sufficient it could even be a requirement that a car receive more than one nomination to be eligible for voting. It would be far easier for members of the forum to nominate a car as they see it in a thread rather than try to remember to do it when the nomination thread opens up.

I always make sure to vote and I read the follow up articles as well. I am not on FB and I'm more of a reader on here than active participant. I know I need to start an actual build thread for my '83 on here. There are probably some more like me that should do the same, that would likely make the nominations easier just by having more awareness and up to date build threads. I do like the idea of a theme for the month but I totally understand how that might actually diminish participation.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    I like the ROTM idea and tried to at least vote for them. I never nominated a car though and I think that is the part of the process that need to be simple. Would it work to have a nomination pool that three or four cars could be selected from each month. People could nominate cars at any time and submit it into the pool. Multiple nominations would bump a car up in the list for earlier selection for the monthly voting. If the nomination levels were sufficient it could even be a requirement that a car receive more than one nomination to be eligible for voting. It would be far easier for members of the forum to nominate a car as they see it in a thread rather than try to remember to do it when the nomination thread opens up.
    Yes, the Nomination process seems to be the more difficult task. The idea of a pool isn't bad, but once again we are back at the problem of SOMEONE () has to make up the pool of Nominees. That is just one more thing that most likely would fall into my lap. Then we have the whole issue the ultimately comes up of "Why didn't you pick my car for the pool?" No this type of stuff doesn't happen every month, but still I constantly get hit with the well, I wanted to nominate this car or my car after the voting poll is up and why I can't just add theirs in after the fact. We have time restrictions for submitting photos and changing photos out and yet still I have nominees contacting me after those times have expired asking me to still let them add a photo or change one out, etc.

I would much prefer the nominations come directly from the members if possible. If I have to put a pool together, then most likely due to Monthly time constraints, I would probably just put 3 cars in each month and let the voting begin. STILL NOT HOW I WANT TO DO IT! Just to be clear!

The whole ROTM is supposed to be just for fun and enjoyment with no prizes no big award, just a little recognition and maybe a bit of a bragging rights.

So I would like to keep things as simple and easy as possible IF possible. I would love to have a gallery of cars to pick from and I have talked to the powers that be about seeing what we can do that might help in that area.

Thanks for the comments!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

The pool idea is kinda what I was talking about. The pool can be for people to submit their own car for consideration. Not interested in having your car in the ROTM, don't enter the pool/thread. When nomination time rolls around people go to the pool thread and nominate one they like.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    The pool idea is kinda what I was talking about. The pool can be for people to submit their own car for consideration. Not interested in having your car in the ROTM, don't enter the pool/thread. When nomination time rolls around people go to the pool thread and nominate one they like.

Jess
    I actually like this idea.

While it seems that most people do not like nominating their own cars for the ROTM, I think this would be the best way to get cars in the field and actually done by active members. With the decline in forum activity and the fact a lot of the photos have been hijacked and not updated, it gets really hard to nominate someone else's car anymore.
    From there, we could do like Ed and Jess have suggested and have the nominations pulled from that pool by the masses or if there are a limited #, just move on with the voting.

I'm also a fan of the theme based months (Capri, Color, Body style, Project, etc.) which we could also utilize the above strategy.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Jess
    Yes, this is what I had in mind, not for one person to select cars into the pool. The pool would be open and ongoing and cars could be submitted to the pool at any time by any member. Then all that would need to be done is selection of the appropriate number for the ROTM voting when the time rolls around. The criteria for being put into the ROTM is all that would need to be determined. It could be based on number of nominations, time in the pool, matching the months theme, etc.

I do miss the gallery of cars, i probably spent way to many hours flipping through them. It would be much easier for me to nominate if the galleries still existed.

Trey,
    First, thanks for all the work done on the ROTM and all the work on the forum by everyone involved.

I haven't been very active the past while and in 2017 I'm not sure if I used two tanks of gas...that's the way life goes sometimes.

For the ROTM, I don't think I've ever nominated anyone but I like to see the cars and try to vote. Sometimes I think of a car, based on the theme that month but can't remember where I saw the picture or who's car it is.
    As mentioned above, I like the idea of a gallery or inventory of vehicles (with the member's name) that I could refer to.
    And...if it makes it easier, maybe after someone wins, post a few pictures of their car with a link to their thread or introduction. People could get more on the car there.
    I know you mentioned that cars under construction don't work too well, but there was a picture of a fox sitting in an open barn door that sticks in my head. Maybe not because it is the best looking car that needs work, but because I can see beyond that and look at the car's potential.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    Trey,
    First, thanks for all the work done on the ROTM and all the work on the forum by everyone involved.

I haven't been very active the past while and in 2017 I'm not sure if I used two tanks of gas...that's the way life goes sometimes.

For the ROTM, I don't think I've ever nominated anyone but I like to see the cars and try to vote. Sometimes I think of a car, based on the theme that month but can't remember where I saw the picture or who's car it is.
    As mentioned above, I like the idea of a gallery or inventory of vehicles (with the member's name) that I could refer to.
    And...if it makes it easier, maybe after someone wins, post a few pictures of their car with a link to their thread or introduction. People could get more on the car there.
    I know you mentioned that cars under construction don't work too well, but there was a picture of a fox sitting in an open barn door that sticks in my head. Maybe not because it is the best looking car that needs work, but because I can see beyond that and look at the car's potential.
    Thanks!

I didn't say that cars under construction don't work, but when I did try to run a project car theme for the ROTM it was an Epic failure in terms of nominees. I am all for doing it again, but obviously I need participation from the members to make it work!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller