Close

Default beware of the craigslist license plate killer!

It has become common knowledge that by showing your license plate on craigslist will get you killed. Or even worst it could possibly get that 1971 ford pinto ripped off and then you will be out $200.00 for the price of the car. So here is what you need to do to avoid murder from the craigslist license plate killer. When taking pictures strategically place your thumb or index finger in the picture to hide the license plate or completely remove the plate and put it in a safe and lock it. If you don't have a safe you can buy one at Cabelas for a $1000.00 dollars. Trust me a $1000.00 dollars is a small price to pay to keep you safe from the Craigslist license plate killer.

I am thankful to see the overly cautious and paranoid people on craigslist using their finger to keep their family safe from the craigslist license plate killer...I know saying paranoid is a strong word to use but seriously is it paranoia if the craigslist license plate killer is really looking for your license plate so he can kill you or even worst.....steal that pristine Foxbody Mustang you want $500.00 dollars for?

Here is another very good tip when you put in your ad the phone number where you can be contacted at use a fake number because there is a new maniac on the loose he is..........The Craigslist phone number killer, he will use the internet to find out where you live by using your phone number so never put your correct phone number in the ad or you will be sorry.

If by some chance someone off Craigslist is able to make contact with you and tells you he is interested in buying the car you have for sale give him a fake address and call the police immediately and inform them you have caught the craigslist license plate killer...you will be a hero and Fox news will interview you about your bravery.

My main concern is Alice at the DMV. She has total access to my plate number and I just don't trust her....at all!

Be safe out there and know that the craigslist license plate killer is just waiting for some naive person to screw up and show his license plate on Craigslist....Don't let that person be you.

If you flag this PSA you either hate America or you are the Craigslist license plate killer...And you probably hate bacon too.
    Last edited by vintageracer; 01-08-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

FEP Member

LOL.

Never understood the whole "hide the plate number " when posting pics of your car. What if the License plate killer is behind you at a stoplight????? Best to remove the plates and always keep them in your safe at home, especially when driving on public roads where anyone could be after your plates!!!

I probably shouldn't post this on a public forum but the truth of the matter is the police are in on it. If you try to safeguard your car by removing the plates before driving they will pull you over.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Ahhh crap! I have a feeling I'm next on this list, as I always forget to stick my finger in the photos to cover up my plate.

Man I'm an idiot and must change all my plates, phone #, my name and move to a new state now to avoid becoming the next victim. Thanks for the advice Vintageracer!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

DPPA

Google it. Read it. Understand it.

Gone are the days you can "track somebody down" with a just a VIN or license plate unless you have a legitimate reason to do so.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Two years ago I posted a euro Mustang for sale for a buddy of mine. I didn't hide the plate, he was pissed at me! I said, "that's a BS statement about hiding plates".

Couple of weeks later a buyer flew in from Texas to buy the car, brought cash. My buddy said, "weren't you kind of worried about who you were dealing with?"

He said. "no, my buddy is a police officer, we ran the plates from the video and found out all about you."

LOL... true story... Needless to say I hide all my plates just in case.

So that means everyone in the world has a "Buddy" who is a police officer?

I think not!

All the cops "I" know now are very reluctant to run anything on anyone not related to issues dealing with their work/shift as they "The Police" NO LONGER have "Carte Blanche" to run searches on whoever they choose and whenever they choose without just reason or cause. This can and will get them FIRED from the Police force!

They are also limited to a degree by the Privacy Laws set in place by the Clinton administration and the DPPA law as noted above by Foxchassis. Here is a link to read for you "Edification":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver...Protection_Act

All this just goes to show you what "FUNNY ANIMALS" we humans really are as the "Heard Mentality" is alive and well. You see one person do on CL so that (thumb over license plate) must mean that EVERYONE (The Heard which is the rest of us) should do it and damn if most folks follow right along with "The Heard"!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 01-09-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

FEP Senior Member

LOL. My favorite are the ones where they hide the plate numbers in one picture and then they are clearly visible in another. I'm surprised the authorities have not caught on to this fiend yet.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Power Member

You guys keep mocking this, but there's got to be something to it. I was watching Counting Cars earlier and they blur the plates of the people he pulls over to talk about their classic. Why do that for no reason?

As for the cop talk. Every squad car has a computer to run plates. Cops I know run plates whenever they want, just to see if anyone driving by has wants or warrants.

I had a crown vic for sale last summer on craigslist. I asked the person that bought how he found out about ( I also had the car for sale in my front yard ). He told me he seen the car on my craigslist ad and was able to find my information ( name and home address) by running the license plate thru Carfax. He told me if you paid extra, that you could run a limited number of plates with them. Not sure if that is true, but it is something to think about.

I'm still covering my plate, just not comfortable with it. Don't have my correct date of birth on FaceBook or websites either. No land line phone. Not that I'm hiding under a rock with a tinfoil hat, I'm just not putting any more info out there than is necessary.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Good, with the cell phone always on, they don't need to worry about where you might be and can track exactly where you are and record all conversations. I use my real name on most stuff, online or not. Forums are an exception, I signed up for most of then when I was still in high school. Everyone called me haystack then.

It is technically illegal to run someones plate unless you pull them over for breaking the law. But even this varies by state and is constantly challenged in the courts. just to make it more confusing, some states also use traffic cameras to enforce reg and insurance and have auto plate readers further muddying up the water.

Don't want to get pulled over all the time? Get a dash cam and mount it in plain sight. I now have two in my daily driver after getting pulled over 6 times in a month with no ticket. First two months I was driving my car, I ended getting pulled over 12 times. I put together a montage and emailed it to the chief of police in my city asking why I was being pulled over so much without getting a ticket. Now the cops almost avoid me.

What's really funny, the cop that pulled me over the most lived at the top of my street. One day she got a pizza delivered from my work. When I pulled up in front of her house she asked me if I was lost and told me I couldn't park there, as I was getting out with her pizza. For some reason, i havent had a problem since those two things.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

FEP Senior Member

Follow me over the cliff......Oh and I like Bacon.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You guys keep mocking this, but there's got to be something to it. I was watching Counting Cars earlier and they blur the plates of the people he pulls over to talk about their classic. Why do that for no reason?
    This is done for the same reason that they blur out faces on certain shows. Unless the owner of the face, or in this case license plate, gives the producers explicit permission to use their unique identifier (face, license plate, etc.) then they are required by privacy laws to block certain things. Shows like Counting Cars may just do it anyways to be proactive to the car community and try and protect the owner. Does it really matter much when they usually put the person's name and city up there for the world to see anyways? If someone really wanted to find the owner, it would not be that hard at this day and age.
    Brock

This is the funniest thing I've read all year Mike! I know...its only 10 days in I find the whole thumb/finger over the plate hilarious. I mean, how hard is it to remove two screws and the plate for pictures in the first place, or open the picture in PAINT (Elementary level, not Photoshop skills requried) and but a black blurb over the plate.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

It suddenly occurred to me that I have been driving around this whole time with my license plate clearly visible! On every vehicle I have!
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Well...at least it's not a finger!

Brock

My license plate number is RS Capri so I think I'm screwed either way!!!

Robert

1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

The pizza slice photo bomb is very funny.
    Way better than the typical thumb covering. Almost Made me laugh outloud

That's not true... they will think it is a Mustang.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

That's not necessarily true... they will think it is a Mustang.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Can anyone run a license plate for me? I need the name of the title holder but don't worry NOT to kill them.

These people were friends of mine and also members of my local Georgia Regional Mustang Club. We had dinner together at a club meeting the night before they were murdered. They almost bought one of my Mustangs but really wanted an earlier model.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...eorgia-couple/
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon