Close

Thread: No start

Default No start

Finally trying to get the SVO running. Everything is pretty much new. I’m not getting spark when cranking. It gives me a small jolt when I stop cranking. I’ve swapped in a known good ignition switch, distributor and coil. Still no go. This is an LA3 swap. I double checked my pin swap. What does the computer need to see from which sensors. Does the computer send a signal to the pip or tfi to fire off the coil? I have 12v at the coil w the key on. I also have 2 wires at the tfi w 12v but one powers up while cranking. I also see a resistor wire on the - side of the coil. Last thing...looking at the wiring diagram it says the wiring to the distributor goes thru a breaker less ignition module...is that the same as the TFI? Because the plugs they call out on the diagram don’t look to match anything in my wiring harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FEP Super Member

Yes , breakerless ignition , is the tfi.
    Have you set the distributor and rotor to tdc ? Try bumping up the advanca a bit .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Check for the injectors firing. If the injectors don't fire, then something is messed up in either the pip or tfi. Could help pinpoint wiring issues.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Injectors are firing. I have a wiring issue somewhere between the pip and the ecu. If I pull the spout I get full spark. So I’m willing to guess that the pip signal isn’t getting back to the computer.

So, what codes does the computer pull up?

If a sensor isn't working to the point the car won't start, it should probably be throwing a code.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Went and bought a new TFI plug harness from NAPA this morning. Rewired everything up to the strut tower including all the grounds at the battery. Fired right up. [URL][https://youtu.be/ET23IobAEW8/URL]