Close

Default Spring isolators

Quick question.. other then price.. anyone see any difference from using sve, bbk or porthene brands of spring isolators.. ive always used prothene but decided to try sve.. thanks

I used BBK on my 84, simply because they were on sale. No issues to report with them.

I'm not really sure it matters much though. Anything should be better than the old rotten rubber ones that are usually on these cars.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I have usually bought either Energy Suspension or Prothane and mostly Prothane lately. Haven't noticed any real difference between the two. As Brock stated, Anything new is most likely better than the old rotten original pieces.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

If price is a concern, Amazon carries a lot of urethane components. I did front and rear spring isolators, sway bay, end links, etc at a fraction of the cost expected.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foxkiller View Post
    Quick question.. other then price.. anyone see any difference from using sve, bbk or porthene brands of spring isolators.. ive always used prothene but decided to try sve.. thanks
    I've never tried porthene or prothene, but the Prothane isolators work well.

Haha porthene.. sorry for the miss spell.. ment prothene.. just was curious on the differences.. ive always used energy or prothene for all my poly suspension parts.. but this time i wanted to try other brand and see.. sometimes i get the feeling its all about advertising that ur paying the higher price for when there are multiple companies making the same thing..

I have noticed when using urethane parts over stock rubber that it add inches to ur suspension.. so sometimes ill use a mix of new/ old rubber and urethane on the spring to get the height im looking for..
    Last edited by Foxkiller; 01-06-2018 at 03:23 PM.

In a pinch hit your local plumbing department. There are seals that stand up to water for a very long time and smash out nicely for a lowered look.

Other than more road noise is there any issues with not using the spring isolators? I only ask because out of the 3 i have none of them had the isolators in place.

Metal on metal contact Springs would over a long time wear a holes in arm and body, also spring would bind from spring ends digging into parts.. my guess..

How hard is it to change the Rear Spring Isolators? I looked at mine and they are rock hard. I ordered these.

Thank you