Close

Default Ported vacuum switches

Does anyone know what the differences are between all the different colors of ported vacuum switches in the back of the intake? My 85 has two. One just has vacuum connections and the second one also has an electrical connection. That one has different colors on the tops.

On my 85 5.0 "M" code engine the thermo vacuum switch with the electrical connector is Red/brownish and the color signifies what temperature it switches at. In this case the vacuum switches ports at 160* F. The electrical connection is for the dash mounted Upshift light. Below 160*F the circuit is open and at 160*F it closes the circuit. The vacuum only thermo vacuum switch is Green and switches vacuum ports at 128*/130* F.

So you have the same setup as I do. Is the vacuum only switch green?

Yes it's the green one and mounts closest to the valve cover. I'll try to email you a couple of pic's that I took just before replacing the intake manifold.

The gray thermo vacuum switch (red/brown top) with electrical connection is getting harder to find. I had to replace mine because it wasn't switching closed the electrical contacts thus preventing the dash upshift light from coming on. This part is the replacement. "Wells" E927 Switch interrupter.

I called Wells today. "That part number was discontinued in 2007"
    i called my local Ford dealer. They showed three listed yet in the country. One dealer actually had and said he wouldn't sell it because it is "rough" and he wouldn't use it on his own car. I'm trying to figure out how a new part on the shelf can be rough. Whatever that can mean.

Okay I need some help.
    Is the electric ported vacuum switch on an 85 5.0 carb car considered red top or brown top? Does anyone have the correct Tomco part number? There are several on ebay but I need to know which one is right. Google seems to be failing me tonight.

Never mind. I found a Tomco on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Okay I need some help.
    Is the electric ported vacuum switch on an 85 5.0 carb car considered red top or brown top? Does anyone have the correct Tomco part number? There are several on ebay but I need to know which one is right. Google seems to be failing me tonight.
    Not being a wise guy but, the top to me does look a redish brown to me. You need a 160*F switch

JacksAO, I think you are right. I wasn't sure if the color was distorted by the fire and heat or not. I found a new Tomco part on eBay this morning. So that is on the way.