Close

Default new to me 1985 3.6 coolant leak

I am in the process of buying 1985 XL convertible. It has the 3.8L v6. During the test drive, I noticed some coolant leaking. As I investigated, it is coming form just under the throttle body, under the air filter. I see a pipe with hoses clamped to either side. The coolant is coming out of that pipe. What is this part? Looks like a simple repair, but I want to make sure its not something major that I am missing. Thanks in advance.

This part?

Leaked coolant in the area could come from a leaking thermostat housing gasket, loose/stripped thermostat upper rad hose clamp, elbow (that I have a copper plumbing end cap with 1/4" hole in for restriction so heater cores don't pop) fitting screw threads into the intake manifold, fitting screw threads of the temperature sensor up top of it, and/or loose/stripped heater hose clamp threads. I'd check the clamps first for being loose or stripped... then if not, checking the other areas while idling warming up and cooling system pressurizing are next in troubleshooting this.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Wait a minute... if you're talking about the (ridiculous cramped into position, nonsense) steel pipe that runs along the passenger side of the intake manifold front to rear, that's attached with nuts to intake studs (that will painstakingly rotate 1/8 of a wrench turn at a time if trying to simply remove the nuts), connected at the front and rear with short rubber hose pieces to the intake and to the heater core... sorry, I took no photographs, and temporarily blocked the trauma of it all and the hair-pulling cursing involved in getting it the hell out of there back before I ripped all of the CFI out of 'er... long story, short... if that thing is giving you trouble, and it's not just a loose hose clamp, I'd stay away from it, and would suggest removing the short rubber hose pieces and bypassing it with a simple no-nonsense length of 3/4" ID heater hose and clamps, like this:

Just be gentle (no hard twisting or bending action) if/when removing/installing heater hose at the heater core tubes. We could use less popped leaking Fox body heater cores around here, lol. (Removal of the frequently stuck on old heater hoses from the heater core tubes is much safer done if the hose is carefully split lengthwise with a razor blade or exacto knife prior to gentle twist and pull...) Good luck with it.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Wait a minute... if you're talking about the (ridiculous cramped into position, nonsense) steel pipe that runs along the passenger side of the intake manifold front to rear, that's attached with nuts to intake studs (that will painstakingly rotate 1/8 of a wrench turn at a time if trying to simply remove the nuts), connected at the front and rear with short rubber hose pieces to the intake and to the heater core....
    That is the part. So bypass with tubing. Thanks. Perfect answer!!