Close

FEP Senior Member

Default 28 or 50oz balance mystery

I picked Up this flywheel a few years ago as part of a top loader setup. I plan on using a toploader in a 50oz build soon, and can’t tell what the balance of this flywheel is. It’s a 157 tooth, and has 6 holes for a long style clutch. There are no markings anywhere to tell if it’s 50oz or 28oz. Can it be determined from the balancing holes in the backside what this is? I’m hoping it’s a 50oz, as that’s what I need for my build.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Super Member

Since all top loaders were connected to a 28 oz flywheel , that is what i would assume this is
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    Since all top loaders were connected to a 28 oz flywheel , that is what i would assume this is
    EXACTLY what I was going to say...
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

FEP Senior Member

It’s an aftermarket piece, so I’m not going to assume.

The guy had parts and motors from several generation of cars, including HO 50oz stuff.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

So there was a slim possibility he had the topload and flywheel in a 5.0 HO? That's the ONLY way this would be 50oz.. I'm no gambler, but I'd bet it's 28oz. Without any part numbers, it's gonna be hard to say honestly. No way I'm aware of to 'check'. And judging from the resurfacing it needs, I'd look into a new SFI piece myself regardless. Good luck
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

FEP Senior Member

There’s a high possibility he had a 50HO with the toploader in his supercharged 65 fastback. The surface you’re seeing is the backside, where the balancing holes are drilled. From the front, it shows normal wear from the clutch. It looks like a really nice part from the front.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)