Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Man if you want your day ruined go to Dennis' Facebook page and read the comments. Yeesh, I didn't know so many people violently hated foxbodies...

I'm sorry I started this thread. I didn't mean to get everyone's blood pressure up.

No worries....my BP is high naturally. As long as I take my meds each morning I can continue to participate in posts about Barrett Jackson
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FEP Power Member black1980fiveoh's Avatar

Auctions like these hurt the car hobby more than helps. It over inflates the prices so good salvageable cars don't get saved.
    1980 Cobra http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2364382
    11.82@115 mph - 2015 - retired due to cancer
    1981 Cobra
    reborn with a lot of new go fast parts and time to make it look pretty
    11.80 @114 mph - 2016

Bet there will not be a Single Capri
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

wish it were closer so i could attend the show. i go to mecum indy and lousiville every year to sell and buy. if you take it for what it is you can have a great time at these events. a lot of cars are bought and sold by dealers but a lot go to individuals as well. you can usually tell who is who.

mecum is a better real world true value than bj .

Quote Originally Posted by 86darkside View Post
    mecum is a better real world true value than bj .
    With ALL the "Bid Jacking" that goes on at Mecum on their RESERVE auctions?

Ya right!

Spend the last 15-20 years going to these classic car auctions all the time, meet the auctioneers, ring men, Dana, Frank and you REALLY see what goes on such as air bids running the vehicle up close to the reserve. Yes it's legal!

BJ is a true NO RESERVE auction with very few exceptions (Million Dollar Cars). Yes bidders do get into moment and pageantry that is BJ and can and do pay to much sometimes HOWEVER there are some of the best deals of the year on collector cars at BJ. Get there early and bid often cause that vehicle is GOING TO SELL! Just like when you consigned your vehicle for auction at BJ 2-3 months earlier. That's when they tell you "Congratulations You Just Sold Your Car"!

All you have do at BJ to get a GREAT DEAL is sit your butt by the auction platform and wait for the good deals to come by and come by they do!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 01-07-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    Yes bidders do ... pay to much sometimes ...

All you have do at BJ to get a GREAT DEAL is sit your butt by the auction platform and wait for the good deals to come by and come by they do!
    FALSE. It was BJ who mega-inflated the values of all those cars to begin with so they could cash in while driving the prices of those cars SO FAR out of the reach of the people who would actually enjoy them, it's beyond ludicrous. Even the best "deals" you describe are STILL super-mega-BJ-inflated-BULLS*** prices. "Bidders do pay too much" EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. And it's somehow okay to drive bids up? Why the F*** is anyone okay with that?!!! Just because they might be on TV showing off how wealthy they are?! "Yeah, I didn't really want to pay 4 mil for that Shelby, but it was just so darned exciting, and I've got it to spare... ". F*** YOU.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Well spoken from someone who has NEVER been to the BJ auction in person to see the reality that is BJ!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 01-07-2018 at 02:25 PM.
    Mike

www.musclecardeals.com

I've seen enough to know I'm right. Even what may SEEM like a good deal, is only so compared to the super-mega-BJ-inflated-BULLS*** price that is now the standard. Ever since that day how ever many years ago that was, when the news got around "did you hear how much that Hemi 'Cuda convertible sold for at auction?!" Every single person wanting to sell a muscle car got dollar signs in their eyes and based their price off that one 'Cuda. And presto, you have today's muscle car market. That is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT the fault of Barrett-Jackson and Mecum. Even if Barrett-Jackson is somehow slightly less crooked, they are still crooked. This goes beyond simple supply and demand. They created this falsely inflated (you said it yourself) circus environment and continue to profit from it. No, the auctions aren't the only ones involved, obviously, there are the ones doing the buying and selling, but they ARE involved and are RESPONSIBLE for creating these conditions.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The question I always want to know is how many of these cars ( especially the corvettes) are run across the block year after year.
    Case in point is the two Sonny and Cher 1966 Mustangs. I remember them selling at BJ just a couple years ago. It pisses me off that these stupid wealthy idiots decided that cars should be traded like stocks Wall Street and then letting them sit just deteriorating. It's the worst thing to do to any car letting sit and not driving them

i have bought around 20 cars in recent years at these auctions and resold them and made a profit on all of them so auction prices are not always inflated. just need to know the market and do your homework and be disciplined. i have sold about 20 as well and made money on most but lost on some due to the fees. its a highlight of my year to go to the auctions. its like electricity in your blood when you are on the block buying or selling. like nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    The question I always want to know is how many of these cars ( especially the corvettes) are run across the block year after year.
    Case in point is the two Sonny and Cher 1966 Mustangs. I remember them selling at BJ just a couple years ago. It pisses me off that these stupid wealthy idiots decided that cars should be traded like stocks Wall Street and then letting them sit just deteriorating. It's the worst thing to do to any car letting sit and not driving them
    Yep. Even if the people who buy them would have otherwise enjoyed them, they are afraid to because the damned things are so valuable now. If anything happened, they'd be out SERIOUS coin.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I record both Mecum and BJ and fast forward thru cars that don't interest me. I dislike Mecum and their "the bid goes on" crap. I have seen a lot of great deals on BJ no reserve cars under $15,000. One day I would like to go in person.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Yep. Even if the people who buy them would have otherwise enjoyed them, they are afraid to because the damned things are so valuable now. If anything happened, they'd be out SERIOUS coin.
    That's why wealthy car collector's BUY insurance to transfer the risk of loss to someone else for a small fee!

That's why they are wealthy!
    Mike

www.musclecardeals.com

FEP Senior Member

Crap Mike, you shared the secret to success.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

ANY smart car guy should have collector car insurance on cars that are not daily drivers. The collector insurance is cheap. And right now with the under hood fire I recently had I'm glad for it.
    But let's not hijack this thread.

I don't think there is any argument that there are some good deals to be had, and for the most part it is fun to watch the action and see what the cars sell for.

I think the point that derailed this post is the Dennis Collins cars. Does anyone on this board (or elsewhere) REALLY BELIEVE....or better yet, have ANY PROOF...that any of his Fox's actually traded $$ for titles at the ridiculous hammer prices from last year? I will never be convinced as such.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FEP Senior Member

Jason, right with you on that. I would like to see how many were truly sold and money and titles were exchanged.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

I would like to see the proof that ALL the cars sold no matter the price ridiculous or not. I don't believe much of anything I see on tv.

I have to say in recent years I have paid more and more attention to the televised Barrett Jackson auctions. My wife and I went to the one at Mohegan Sun last year to finally see what it was like in person. I would go again, I thought it was a neat overall experience. THE MAIN reason I wanted to go was to see these cars up close in person. As many have said, most of the cars are overpaid/inflated (ALSO THIS is subject to a "book" value...realistically ANYTHING is worth what anyone is willing to pay for it), but there was a few vehicles that I thought were sold much cheaper than expected. Now that being said, I saw these cars go across the block, and then had a chance to personally inspect the paint/body & finish work and based off of what I saw, there were a few that ended up being very good deals, but most of them were over inflated and way overpaid (in my opinion) just because its a GT500, SS454, HEMI, etc you get the idea. Many of those cars had poor quality restoration but still sold for well over 50k....it's one thing to be poor (still good) original unrestored condition, but when its a poor (not great) 15 year old restoration with cracking quarter panels, the price and description should reflect that. Particularly I recall a triple white 1990 GT (recall it well because it was an automatic with poor body gaps, eh paint work,re-upholstereled white leather and pony wheels...NOTHING about this car said Original and numbers matching to me but it sold for 25k iirc! Anyways, I will be paying attention to the upcoming auction regarless of hating the fact that a knowledgeless (on 79-93 cars) owner is selling them, i'd still like to see what the sell for, Most of all I think that it's cool that these cars (79-86) foxes are finially getting respect in the collector world. As someone mentioned previously, these cars got a lot of hate. Im 33 yrs old and Ive loved these cars since I was real young, and in the many random conversations talking to people about fox body mustangs, for years it's always been ew, you like the slow ones (too bad they dont know year to year changes like i do) why dont you just get a real fox with the rounded front end. "ive owned plenty of 87-93's id never touch a 86 and older" ive heard from a few people, I never cared personally because I like what I like, but reception was generally poor up until a few years ago when "average" car enthusiasts started seeing them as, oh thats kinda neat havent seen one in a while.
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude
    1997 Ford Explorer 5.0L
    1985 Ford Mustang GT
    1983 VW Rabbit GTi 16v
    1983 Mercury Capri CC

Veering somewhat, BJ #3006 (a Mustang) looks interesting: https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBI8hKn?m=en-us

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    I would like to see the proof that ALL the cars sold no matter the price ridiculous or not. I don't believe much of anything I see on tv.
    The sad part is, it doesn't matter. Joe Mullet with his '76 Camaro thinks he gets to cash in now because of the prices those cars on Barrett-Jackson's Flying Circus command on TV. And that falsely drives up the price of cars the rest of us may want.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Truth is coming out on a few of dennis's cars. One has been repainted, one notch isn't stock, been a factory drag car for most of its life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast