Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default T-Top Owners I'm Looking for Input

I know this has been discussed several times. I did a search by T-top in the body section and nothing came up so I thought I'd start one here in the lounge.

I'm in the process of buying an 86 SVO with the Cars & Concepts T-Top conversion. Since this wasn't a factory option for SVOs I thought I would ask for input from the GT folks who have so many of them.

1. Does anybody have any copies of the original paperwork from the factory in the form of window stickers, dealer purchase orders, or build sheets showing the option for T-Tops?

2. Does anybody have pics of their cars "as delivered" to the dealer / brand new?

3. How about some pics of door stickers and buck tags?

4. Any other stickers on the car in the door jambs, maybe glovebox, or on the T-Top glass itself?

5. Any service manuals, usage guides, or safety literature from Cars & Concepts?

I also did a Google search but the results dealt mostly with Aero hatchbacks. There wasn't much about the earlier four eyed GTs much less SVO installations.

I'm just trying to consolidate the info into one thread. Any input would be appreciated.

Here is a pic of the Cars & Concepts sticker on the glass on my soon to be SVO T-Top.
    Last edited by Ken P; 06-26-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

FEP Power Member

E-bay has the service manuals and leak repair manuals usually for $15 or so. Car and Concepts was the only one that made t-tops for Mustangs, weather factory installed (Ford ordered) at there factory in Brighton or installed at the local t-top shop or body shop with a kit. You could also drive your mustang to Cars and Concepts in Brighton and they would put them in there also after you bought it. The door data sticker has a (D) on it for being ordered from the dealer with t-tops. A place called Sunroof Doctor bought out all of Cars and Consepts stock. I have contacted them and they do not have any more kits and really didnt have anything much left. I also asked them about brochures from Cars and Consepts and they did not have any of them either. One of mine had them installed at the T-top shop down the road form the dealership in Texas. My other one is from the Atlanta area, I contacted the Dealership but they had distroyed all of there old records when they changed owners. It did have a C&C sticker on the door, but it could have and most likely came with the instalation kit. All the fox body t-tops will interchange although some have locks and some dont.
    Kendal

there were t-top kits? for people how dont have t-tops.

I never thought to take pics of the stickers or tags on my old 86.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken P View Post
    I know this has been discussed several times. I did a search by T-top in the body section and nothing came up so I thought I'd start one here in the lounge.

I'm in the process of buying an 86 SVO with the Cars & Concepts T-Top conversion. Since this wasn't a factory option for SVOs I thought I would ask for input from the GT folks who have so many of them.

1. Does anybody have any copies of the original paperwork from the factory in the form of window stickers, dealer purchase orders, or build sheets showing the option for T-Tops?

2. Does anybody have pics of their cars "as delivered" to the dealer / brand new?

3. How about some pics of door stickers and buck tags?

4. Any other stickers on the car in the door jambs, maybe glovebox, or on the T-Top glass itself?

5. Any service manuals, usage guides, or safety literature from Cars & Concepts?

I also did a Google search but the results dealt mostly with Aero hatchbacks. There wasn't much about the earlier four eyed GTs much less SVO installations.

I'm just trying to consolidate the info into one thread. Any input would be appreciated.

Here is a pic of the Cars & Concepts sticker on the glass on my soon to be SVO T-Top.
    If you find out an accurate/believeable estimate for the number of T-top coupes that were put out in 1986 (especially 5.0/5-speed cars), PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

I'd really like to know where my car "ranks" in the pecking order ("one-of-XXX made")!

Thanks, dude!

I have the orignal window sticker from my 84GT,the T-roof option is listed,it cost $1074
    I have the T-top instruction manual that came with the car also
    On the build sheet its listed as Body Type 61B,Tops Roof H.
    I will look at the tags on the car over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Jones
    If you find out an accurate/believeable estimate for the number of T-top coupes that were put out in 1986 (especially 5.0/5-speed cars), PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

I'd really like to know where my car "ranks" in the pecking order ("one-of-XXX made")!
    Right now, I'm gonna say none were made by Ford. According to all of their literature, the T-roof option was N/A on coupes after the '84 model year. Would you like to be the first one to show me an '85+ T-roof coupe's Body/Buck Tag with a "TR" code and Vehicle Certification Label with a "D" sunroof code?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker
    E-bay has the service manuals and leak repair manuals usually for $15 or so.
    Both are scanned and posted in the library here.

T-Roof Waterleak Repair Manual

T-Roof Diagnosis and Service Manual

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Right now, I'm gonna say none were made by Ford. According to all of their literature, the T-roof option was N/A on coupes after the '84 model year. Would you like to be the first one to show me an '85+ T-roof coupe's Body/Buck Tag with a "TR" code and Vehicle Certification Label with a "D" sunroof code?
    Well, it's "one-of-XXX" made by whoever. I guess that's not super relevant, 'cause a Ford dealer sold it (as a T-top coupe) to the original owner. Whether it was a dealer's option after '85 and all T-top coupes were modified by their selling dealers and then sold is a huge unknown. Like I'm saying, that doesn't matter to me. I'd just like to know how many were out there, 'cause I'm sure the number of '85+ T-top coupes that are still around has got to be pretty small.

Wish I did have Buck Tag info on that car. It sure would help answer the questions about it. Buck Tag/Build Sheet/etc...all gone.

Damn...was afraid your original tag and label were missing.

If it is indeed true that the T-roof was N/A on coupes after '84, we will never know how many were converted by Car & Concepts after they left DAP. Ford obviously isn't going to have that info, so they couldn't have possibly given it to Marti Auto. Cars & Concepts doesn't exist anymore, and their records seem to have disappeared forever.

Now if the T-roof was available on coupes after '84, despite Ford's literature saying it wasn't, Marti will have that info, and it should be available once they get done sorting through each year's worth of Ford's own records.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 01-30-2009 at 08:47 AM.

Does this help? It's the top half of the original window sticker for my 85.

FEP Member

Damn...was afraid your original tag and label were missing.

If it is indeed true that the T-roof was N/A on coupes after '84, we will never know how many were converted by Car & Concepts after they left DAP. Ford obviously isn't going to have that info, so they couldn't have possibly given it to Marti Auto. Cars & Concepts doesn't exist anymore, and their records seem to have disappeared forever.

Now if the T-roof was available on coupes after '84, despite Ford's literature saying it wasn't, Marti will have that info, and it should be available once they get done sorting through each year's worth of Ford's own records.
    That works for me. It's basically a "wait-and-see" deal. No problem. While I'd really love to know what the real deal is, the bottom line is that I truly LOVE my car, regardless of whether only one of 'em was made (by Ford, Cars and Concepts, etc)...or more than a million of 'em were made! T-top coupes rock!

Quote Originally Posted by 85GT-79FJ40 View Post
    Does this help? It's the top half of the original window sticker for my 85.

Good documentation there, however your car is a GT hatchback, and there is no disputing whether 85 or 86 GTs were able to be ordered with the t-tops from the factory. Ford labeling it as a SEDAN can unintentionally confuse people though.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

There are two conversations going on here...first was Ken P asking for any T-roof documentation, and then there was the T-roof coupe thing between KJ and me. That windows sticker may have been posted per Ken's request and not regarding the T-roof coupe thing.

Blog Entries

Ken, if you'd like us to split off the T-top coupe discussion to make the thread easier to handle, just let us know.

There are two conversations going on here...first was Ken P asking for any T-roof documentation, and then there was the T-roof coupe thing between KJ and me. That windows sticker may have been posted per Ken's request and not regarding the T-roof coupe thing.
    Yes I'm just trying to pull together any and all T top info

Thanks very much for the window sticker pic and water leak repair / diagnosis service manual links. I've never had or rode in a T top Mustang before so I'm getting into unknown territory. Since it will actually spend some time at Kendal's before I get to finally see it in person I want to compile as much info as possible.

Since Mike B. / 85Ttops doesn't post here very much I'm sure he won't mind me putting up pics from his 85 9L SVO.
    Last edited by Ken P; 06-26-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by evlgt85 View Post
    Ken, if you'd like us to split off the T-top coupe discussion to make the thread easier to handle, just let us know.
    Thanks anyway but I don't mind. Maybe if I could get KJ to post some more pics with the tops out with close-ups of the mechanicals / attaching points? Also any other details about removal / reinstallation / storage tips? Any cleaning or car washing issues?

Any and all info is appreciated.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Thanks FoxChassis and Ken for the clarification.

Either way, any t-top info is interesting.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Wow I just started reading those service manuals and there is a BUNCH of info in there. That should keep me busy for a while. HAHA

Thanks very much.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Jones View Post
    That works for me. It's basically a "wait-and-see" deal. No problem. While I'd really love to know what the real deal is, the bottom line is that I truly LOVE my car, regardless of whether only one of 'em was made (by Ford, Cars and Concepts, etc)...or more than a million of 'em were made! T-top coupes rock!
    KJ, I just wanted you to know that I really enjoyed following along as you built this car. It turned out wonderfully and I hope you get alot of enjoyment out of it. I am letting it serve as partial inspiration for my T-top 1986 GT.
    1986 Black GT with T-tops

mmm so sexy
    1985 Mustang GT:
    347 stroker
    Holley 750 double pumper
    xe274hr comp cam
    Victor jr. intake
    RPM aluminum heads
    roller rockers
    equal length shorty headers
    electric fan
    afco aluminum radiator
    american thunder series flowmasters
    pace setter off road h-pipe
    chrome OEM cobra rims

Gorgeous ride.. What wheels are those? very nice..

86 GT T-Top
    12.69 @ 111mph

Hey Ken have you ever thought of getting in touch with Kevin Marty? He is the guy that does the "Marty reports" for the older Mustangs. He told my son that he has all the info for the Fox cars but he has to do something with it first before he can start selling the reports.
    If he has all the original paper work from Ford I woud have to say that he would be the one you might want to talk to.
    I think my son has his contact info if you need it.

John
    A bunch of 85gt's

Quote Originally Posted by jleews6 View Post
    Hey Ken have you ever thought of getting in touch with Kevin Marty? He is the guy that does the "Marty reports" for the older Mustangs. He told my son that he has all the info for the Fox cars but he has to do something with it first before he can start selling the reports.
    If he has all the original paper work from Ford I woud have to say that he would be the one you might want to talk to.

John
    Yes I plan on getting in touch with him at some point in the future as I also need door stickers reproduced for 3 of my other SVOs. In the case of my soon to be delivered T top SVO he probably won't have much info. Since it has been pretty well established they're a dealership or owner ordered option only I'm probably on my own. The SVOCA registry is also based on true Ford production info and is a fairly comprehensive data base but it doesn't track T tops either.

It's just one of those statistics that has to be compiled outside the normal sources. When I do close the deal on this new one I'll update the registry and add the T top documentation to the VINs history.

The next show I do get to attend I'll be scoping out the show field for T tops... HAHA
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by jleews6 View Post

John
    I could get really excited about a report such as that. I just LOVE documentation!
    1986 Black GT with T-tops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast