Close

Default 1985 mustang heater assembly

I have a 1985 mustang lx 3.8l convertible. The car didn't have a heater core or heater hoses when I bought it. I put in a heater core but don't have the hoses. If anyone has any pictures or information about what hoses I need, where they connect to the radiator, how or just any instructions on how to put in the hoses it would be greatly appreciated. My biggest issue is that I haven't found any good photos or anything to tell me what I need and how it's supposed to look.

Mine's an '86, and no longer CFI, so should be same enough to yours. This photo shows the best view pic I've got online right now of the regular no nonsense heater hoses I put onto it. They don't go to the rad, but to the intake and the water pump. The left out of the core, smaller (5/8" (ID)) heater core hose goes over the alternator, in front of the distributor, and connects to the front tube fitting in the water pump. The right out of the core, bigger (3/4" (ID)) heater core hose goes to the fitting behind the distributor into the intake manifold's coolant passage...

... do that new heater core of yours a favor, as well as taking it easy and not forcing too much when twisting and maybe lubing the insides of the hoses when installing them onto the core tubes, and install a pressure restrictor such as the 1/2" copper plumbing end cap with a 1/4" hole drilled in it, that I tapped into the intake coolant fitting in mine seen in the picture below, so that the core is no longer constantly the place where full cooling system pressure affects the core that the water pump and especially when the thermostat is closed create... a common reason the cores in these frequently pop...

Good luck with it .....
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 12-30-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/