Close

Default Rear end swap question

So on to the differential. Is there any 8.8 differentials that will swap into a fox body that does not require a lot of modification? I would like to keep it close to the stock look as possible.

Any 86-93 mustang 8.8 will swap out directly. No modifications required. A 94 - 98 you will need to swap your old axles. If you have a non quad shock 7.5 you will need to cut the mounts off if you want a completely stock appearance.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

^ Actually 94-98 were rear disc and require a lot more work..

Mustang rear ends should be plentiful, more so than anything else. An 8.8 can be had for $100-$150 from drum to drum usually, and sometime with shorter gears.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

The 8.8 from a 94-98 is the same. It will work with his stock 7.5 backing plates and axle shafts. It is a direct swap.

True, with his "does not require a lot of modification", I was leaning towards a direct drop in. The housings are the same though you are correct on that. And it can but done and keep the disc brakes, but needs a better booster, master cylinder, and brackets for the brakes if using fox length axles.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    True, with his "does not require a lot of modification", I was leaning towards a direct drop in. The housings are the same though you are correct on that. And it can but done and keep the disc brakes, but needs a better booster, master cylinder, and brackets for the brakes if using fox length axles.
    You are correct that the 94 and later rear end assemblies to require additional work to install properly. A good working Fox booster will match up just fine with the later brakes, and often depending on front brake caliper changes the stock M/C in good shape will work too.

If swapping the axles and keeping the rear disc brakes, then either the OEM brackets will have to be swapped side to side and modified or a setup like North Race Cars brackets will be required. The disc brakes require either specific E brake cables and/or modifications to the E brake handle attachment for all of that to work.

Obviously brake line changes on the body of the car will be required for any 86-04 rear axle swap as the brake line location changed on the axle due to the dual exhaust set up, so that needs to be addressed.

Quad shocks can be left off, the mounts cut, or the frame rail brackets can be added to the car by drilling the required holes and using short sections of tubing inside the frame rails and require bolts to install the frame rail mounts. This allows the addition of the quad shocks to an earlier Four Eye. A bit of a pain to install, but can be worth the trouble depending on what the owners is trying to do.

To the OP, as stated above the 86-93 8.8 will be the simplest and easiest swap. The 94-98 8.8 would be next, but with swapping over your axles, backing plates, and drum brakes would be next. The 94-98 with Discs will require additional work and more parts depending on if you want to keep the stock rear axle width or use the 94-98 wider axles. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

He can swap all the original brake lines to the 8.8 also. Including the block mounted to the vent on the right axle tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    He can swap all the original brake lines to the 8.8 also. Including the block mounted to the vent on the right axle tube.
    That is true and probably the best thing to do if staying with single exhaust.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller