Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Those are the only pics I have currently. Just got the interior out of it today. It’s a very solid car everything it’s there and works. Zero rust on the body or underside. Frame rails and shock towers couldn’t be cleaner. It has been sitting since 06. The guy I got it from got it gifted to him for his graduation present from his grandparents. He drive it a few months and the 3.8 locked up. I have the original motor for it but am going to be putting a 302 in it. But I plan to build the motor back up and keep it on the engine stand just to have. All the trims there, headlight covers etc. headliner had seen better days and driver seat has rips and the dash has the typical sun cracks. But for the price I got it I could not complain. Other than the 302 this thing will be all original. Not sure what rims came on it from the factory but I’m thinking ten holes would give it a nice stock look with a fresh coat of black paint.
    80 Capri built 5.0 single turbo manual trans
    86 mustang coupe built 351w single turbo manual trans
    84 t bird built 5.0 c5 auto

84, I can tell by the orange turn signal lenses. What are your plans for it? Bet you didn't find a buck tag.

No buck tag. And I’m gna just put the v8 in it and paint it and cruise it around. Nothing special. Keep it as original as possible minus the motor

makes me miss my '86 Elan... sweet project!
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

There really neat cars. Something different. I can’t remember the last time I saw a four eye thunderbird. I almost bought another one last week. It was a 86 with a 302 and aod had a blown headgasket for 300 bucks. Still debating it.

There might still be a buck tag somewhere, we just don't know where it is yet if there is one. Atlanta was making at least four different vehicles during the 1984 model year: Ford LTD, Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar, and Mercury Marquis. The Chicago assembly plant, which built the 1983-86 LTD/Marquis, put the buck tag on the top face of the BOTTOM of the radiator core support, before the radiator was installed, and then bent the tag down over the front face of the bottom of the core support, so only part of the tag was visible.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I looked for it all over and couldn’t find it. Any other places it might be?

No Atlanta built Thunderbird owner I've ever talked to found a buck tag. If there is one, I'd like to know where to look too.

I know in the vintage Mustang world, some Ford assembly plants used buck tags and some did not.

Some of the plants put them in places that are tough to see when everything is assembled. San Jose assembly (Capri/Mustang) put them in the middle section of the core support, and they get covered up by the bumper and header panel, and are very hard to see and get off with the front end completely assembled. Chicago assembly (LTD/Marquis) put them on the bottom of the core support and bent them under the radiator. Many Chicago-built units have nothing left but a screw and the corner of the tag.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I disassembled most of the front of my 83TC, built in Atlanta, and never found a buck tag or the signs of one.

It will be interesting if anyone ever finds one.

I haven't owned a tc, but I have seen buck tags on the top of the radiator support on my cougar birds before.

When I was 16 or 17 I ripped on off when I cut my hand on it, not knowing what it was for.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    I haven't owned a tc, but I have seen buck tags on the top of the radiator support on my cougar birds before.

When I was 16 or 17 I ripped on off when I cut my hand on it, not knowing what it was for.
    My 83 Thunderbird Heritage, built in Lorain, has a buck tag right where your hand landed.

Yes, the Lorain-built C/T had the buck tags in an easy-to-find spot. I have a few of them because people could find them easily abd photograph them. Either the Atlanta-built C/T and L/M never had buck tags or they're in a very tricky spot to find.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12