Close

Default 1979 5.0 auto w/ 90k miles (PICTURES ADDED!)

I bought this car with the intention of doing some work but due to the rust in the towers and around gas tank and thinking someone would be interested in restoring I'm thinking of selling or trading for something without rust. The car is largely unmolested. The wheels and new headliner are the parts that stick out that aren't original. Mostly everything works, even the 8 track. The body and and interior are in decent shape and the underneath isn't all bad but too much for me. What do you think I should ask for it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Fshawn; 12-29-2017 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Fshawn View Post
    I bought this car with the intention of doing some work but due to the rust in the towers and around gas tank and thinking someone would be interested in restoring I'm thinking of selling or trading for something without rust. The car is largely unmolested. The wheels and new headliner are the parts that stick out that aren't original. Mostly everything works, even the 8 track. The body and and interior are in decent shape and the underneath isn't all bad but too much for me. What do you think I should ask for it?

Having trouble getting pics uploaded from my phone.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fshawn; 12-29-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: adding photos

This is the best pic that shows the worst of the rust

FEP Supporter

Decent looking car on first look. Glad to see another Tangerine What is the build month on the door sticker? I see the cowl plate is painted - although the car could have been repainted somewhere in its life. Most got them black but it seems like early 79 cars were painted body color (like ours was). I don't think the sail panels should be black either.

To me, the rust doesn't look too bad in the pictures. The undercoating might have partially done it's job! What I see is hopefully superficial and surface otherwise it could affect the value the most as possible buyers will see the work involved to eliminate.

What are the front frame rails like? Seems that most rust by the shock towers/K member. You didn't specify and only showed pictures of the rear from underneath so was wondering.

I see the valve covers are newer and the air filter was changed to a dual snorkel. Was it upgraded to a 4 barrel?

I'm not sure what the value would be. Has a clean title?

My first guess: $2000 - $3000

Good luck with the sail if you choose to sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Decent looking car on first look. Glad to see another Tangerine What is the build month on the door sticker? I see the cowl plate is painted - although the car could have been repainted somewhere in its life. Most got them black but it seems like early 79 cars were painted body color (like ours was). I don't think the sail panels should be black either.

To me, the rust doesn't look too bad in the pictures. The undercoating might have partially done it's job! What I see is hopefully superficial and surface otherwise it could affect the value the most as possible buyers will see the work involved to eliminate.

What are the front frame rails like? Seems that most rust by the shock towers/K member. You didn't specify and only showed pictures of the rear from underneath so was wondering.

I see the valve covers are newer and the air filter was changed to a dual snorkel. Was it upgraded to a 4 barrel?

I agree with this. The shock tower rust may be a deal breaker for some, but this seems to be a nice enough car to save even if the shock towers need work. It's just that repairing the front frame/towers is pretty involved, so it limits the amount of interest in it. It would make someone a nice project car, if you decide not to keep it. It was always one of my favorite colors and looks great with the black interior, which is also sought after.

I will look at the build month and get a couple more pictures of the towers. I think front rails are pretty good and overall front was much better. I thought the paint might be original since it matches the code on the door and looks original in most places, but also noticed the cowl plate. I wondered too if the stripes were original. What are sail panels?

Still 2 barrel carb. Didn't realize the dual snorkel wasn't stock on 79. Yes valve covers are mickey Thompson. The engine may have a rebuild. I am surprised on how good it sounds.

I do love the interior. I am tempted to keep the car just for that, but it would seem a shame to put it in another car if someone could restore this one. I don't think I'm a good candidate to do it myself.

I am asking $2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    I agree with this. The shock tower rust may be a deal breaker for some, but this seems to be a nice enough car to save even if the shock towers need work. It's just that repairing the front frame/towers is pretty involved, so it limits the amount of interest in it. It would make someone a nice project car, if you decide not to keep it. It was always one of my favorite colors and looks great with the black interior, which is also sought after.
    Thanks for the comment. I will post some more pics of the rust areas.

FEP Supporter

Good luck with the sale! You should post a link to the ad in the classified on here.

Hopefully there are those out there that see the potential. Without looking at it in person I think this looks like a very decent car to buy and restore or buy and modify (please don't).

Our 79 turned out to be extremely solid underneath some years of neglect and well worth a little investment of time (and some $). The sail panels are the bolt on parts behind the rear quarter windows. Ours as well as the window frames are body colour along with the cowl.

Name:  IMG_3688.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  104.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_9568.jpg
Size:  113.4 KB

For reference, here is a picture of an almost stock 79 5.0 engine bay with AC and cruise.

Name:  DSCN1449_zps4103f527.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  115.3 KB
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 01-01-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

That's an awesome specimen of a 79. How was the interior?

I will look at the build month and get a couple more pictures of the towers. I think front rails are pretty good and overall front was much better. I thought the paint might be original since it matches the code on the door and looks original in most places, but also noticed the cowl plate. I wondered too if the stripes were original. What are sail panels?

Still 2 barrel carb. Didn't realize the dual snorkel wasn't stock on 79. Yes valve covers are mickey Thompson. The engine may have a rebuild. I am surprised on how good it sounds.

I do love the interior. I am tempted to keep the car just for that, but it would seem a shame to put it in another car if someone could restore this one. I don't think I'm a good candidate to do it myself.

I am asking $2000.

Ah think I finally figured out why I was having so much trouble with loading photos!

Good luck with the sale! You should post a link to the ad in the classified on here.

Hopefully there are those out there that see the potential. Without looking at it in person I think this looks like a very decent car to buy and restore or buy and modify (please don't).

Our 79 turned out to be extremely solid underneath some years of neglect and well worth a little investment of time (and some $). The sail panels are the bolt on parts behind the rear quarter windows. Ours as well as the window frames are body colour along with the cowl.

Name:  IMG_3688.jpg
Size:  104.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_9568.jpg
Size:  113.4 KB

For reference, here is a picture of an almost stock 79 5.0 engine bay with AC and cruise.

Name:  DSCN1449_zps4103f527.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  115.3 KB
    I took a close look at the sail panels and window frames. They really look to be stock black.

I took a close look at the sail panels and window frames. They really look to be stock black.

It's been sold