Close

FEP Power Member

Default Steering Rack limiters

I did a search and found a little info. At what Wheel size are steering rack limiters needed? I tried looking at the interchange of steering racks but they changed often. It would seem that different wheels would require different stops.

I’m thinking of putting 10 holes on my 84 GTTurbo. I’m not sure if it has limiters on it. It came with TRX wheels from the factory.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

The issue with the Rack limiters is that it varies from vehicle to vehicle. Your suspension setup, ride height, alignment, wheel choice, offsets, tire size both width and height all affect the need for or lack of need for rack limiters.

Then add in rack swaps due to age, mileage, etc. and there is no way to know for sure. Unfortunately there is no way to guarantee how many rack limiters are currently on your vehicle (if any) without removing the inner boots and visually verifying.

In my experience I generally don't see a need for rack limiters on most average Foxes with 10 holes when using 225/60 or 235/60 tires. Again depending on if your vehicle is lowered, alignment, etc. this may or may not be true.

I would install the wheels and see how everything works out. If you do have some rubbing at wheel lock, then you can always add the rack limiters to your vehicle. If you don't then no harm no foul. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

The question was if the 84 GT would need them.

I believe I saw them on my 85 which would have come with 10 holes but ASC removed then and put their own wheel on. My guess is the TRX wheels did not require limiters as they were used since day 1 of the Fox body.

My 86GT came with 10 holes and 225/60/15's and no limiters.

235/60/15's up front rubbed just slightly before I took a jack to my fenderwells and screwed them in place when they were out of the way.

Ive heard Lincoln LSC fenderwells work lots better with big tires, but today I run 245/45/17's on 95 tribar rims using 95 spindles, X2 balljoints, caster/camber plates, stock A arms with new bushings, stock struts, camber bolts, and stock low miles springs. I run struts centered in the openings side to side with -2 camber and have maxed out positive caster. The tires only ever barely rub at aggressive turns at lock and there are no limiters present.

If you pay attention to wheel offsets and tire sizes, etc, no. You won't need them.

A friend runs 17x9 rims with 255/40/17's on his car with +28 offset. He needed them but keep in mind his rims were known to touch his A arms on hard cornering at lock too.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    My 86GT came with 10 holes and 225/60/15's and no limiters.

235/60/15's up front rubbed just slightly before I took a jack to my fenderwells and screwed them in place when they were out of the way.

Ive heard Lincoln LSC fenderwells work lots better with big tires, but today I run 245/45/17's on 95 tribar rims using 95 spindles, X2 balljoints, caster/camber plates, stock A arms with new bushings, stock struts, camber bolts, and stock low miles springs. I run struts centered in the openings side to side with -2 camber and have maxed out positive caster. The tires only ever barely rub at aggressive turns at lock and there are no limiters present.

If you pay attention to wheel offsets and tire sizes, etc, no. You won't need them.

A friend runs 17x9 rims with 255/40/17's on his car with +28 offset. He needed them but keep in mind his rims were known to touch his A arms on hard cornering at lock too.
    The steering racks changed every year or two. I think they come into the equation as well. I thought it would be a simple answer.

My 79 came with TRX wheels and did rub upfront. The wheels pull the steering wheel to full lock also the last end of the stroke.
    Put newer type rims on, see pic, same issues.
    Is it normal for your foxes too to pull deeper into the turns when driving in the parking lot?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

Yes, that is due to the combination of lack of caster and high SAI. If you add positive caster to the front alignment, this will go away to some degree and the car will drive better in every respect.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Thanks Jack!
    I will get it aligned then.
    Regards, Hans.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

In stock form, there is no caster adjustment. You need to install c/c plates to be able to adjust caster.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support