Close

Default No crank no start no fuel pump buzz.

Greetings:

After finally reassembling the 86GT timing cover/ broken water pump bolt/ repair threads fiasco, the car now will not start. No crank, no fuel pump buzz. One click from the starter relay. Have no idea and totally out of patience. What would you do?
    There are no missing or broken wires. There are no missing or broken components. All items replaced properly according to shop manual. I thoroughly examined the under hood area. Do electrical parts just go bad? It did sit for the past eight months. Thanks for the help.
    M

FEP Senior Member

Has anything been done to the battery while it has sat for the last 8 months? I would start by charging the battery. Could have just run down from sitting so long. If still no dice I would have it tested.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Senior Member

Battery negative cable re-attached to the timing cover?

Battery cable is reattached to the timing cover. But I did remove the relay and tested it. It makes no noise now at all. Plus the battery is slightly low at 11.6 volts. I plan on a new battery soon anyway. I ordered a new Motorcraft relay as the one on the car appears to be incorrect. It has four terminals where as the correct Ford part should have three, plus ground to the body if I read the diagram correctly. Its about five years old or better.
    Right now its frigid but I will recheck everything when the mercury rises a little. Thanks.

Almost forgot. I couldn't jump start the car. That's why I felt the relay went south. But a new battery is needed.

First off, the ecu triggers the fuel pump relay. Check for voltage on the tps and see if ya got anything.

Second, or maybe even first, try pulling codes to see what's going on. If the computer isnt working, the car won't either. There is a small black ground on the negetive cable that hits a grounding point next to the fender. This is the main ground for the computer and all electronics. If the computer doesnt work, check this first.

Third, one click out of the solenoid means you have a bad battery or connection, including the ground. Swap in a good battery. Check for ground supper easily, get some jumper cables and connect one to the negative cable and the other end to the block.i like the a.c. compressor, but anything metal works. If you see any sparks, you got a bad ground. Try firing it up like that.

If ya got a volt meter or even a test light, do a efi no start and see what is actually wrong if those first steps don't get ya all fixed up. It takes about 10 minutes.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Purchased a new Motorcraft battery and the Ford starter relay. And sort of kind of hooked up the ground wire more properly we could say. Did the trick. Car hasn't started that quick in years. Great battery plus the correct relay. Cleaned all connections and pow- back in business. No leaks with the gasket repair and broken water pump bolt and that fiasco. Drove it and fueled it up. Idles beautifully. Checked timing and spot on. Computer says its happy, too.
    Reminds me of a Bill Murray quote- "Its Miller time!"
    Cheers.