Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mufflers too loud!

Looking for some muffler suggestions for my 5.0 83 Capri (340HP Ford racing crate engine). Currently have shorty headers, catted H pipe and dual Dynamax mufflers. Althought he mufflers sound good, they are too loud for pleasure driving. No one wants to drive with me lol. Anyway, I know I will forfeit a bit of performance but looking for mufflers that will give more of a factory sound or slightly louder. Want to get rid of the drone.
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird

FEP Member

Which Dynomax mufflers do you have? Their Super Turbo's are usually pretty quiet. Race bullets are basically like a straight pipe. Are you running tailpipes or dumps right after the muffler?

If you don't have tailpipes add them before doing anything else. You could also add a Dynomax bullet muffer to side(inline with the mufflers you have) to cut a few decibels.
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

I personally like the Magnaflow line of mufflers. They have a nice deep tone, but generally aren't too loud and obnoxious. When you really lay into the throttle you will get some noise, but too much IMHO. The have that nice low deep tone when cruising down the interstate and at idle that I like so much. I believe they are the XL line of mufflers that are multi chamber that work/sound the best and have the correct sizes and offsets for our Foxes. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Just got done putting Flowmasters Super 44's under my 83. They were a lot quieter than I expected, but coming from long tube headers and glass packs to a full exhaust system I didn't really know what to expect. I can now hear my radio without cranking the volume all the way up at highway speeds, and they have a nice idle tone and will make some noise when you get on it, but a normal driving they won't drive you crazy with loudness. Just my 2 cents.
    Foxes:
    1983 Mustang GT--Forum Outlaw
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    Other Fords
    1955 F100 351W
    1998 Ranger

"Pink isn't well, he stayed back at hotel."

I have the Dynamax Ultra Flow SS
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    02 Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by Bison View Post
    Just got done putting Flowmasters Super 44's under my 83. They were a lot quieter than I expected, but coming from long tube headers and glass packs to a full exhaust system I didn't really know what to expect. I can now hear my radio without cranking the volume all the way up at highway speeds, and they have a nice idle tone and will make some noise when you get on it, but a normal driving they won't drive you crazy with loudness. Just my 2 cents.
    Really trying to get rid if the drone at cruising speeds. How is it with the flowmasters?
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    02 Thunderbird

+1 for Magnaflows. I had a Flowmaster 44 cat back set on the vert - stock headers, cats & H-pipe. The drone at highway speeds & cruising around town was brutal! I swapped over to Magnaflows & can actually have a conversation driving around town with the top down. At highway speeds I can still hear the radio. Full throttle runs get louder and sound bad ass! Very happy with them...

Quote Originally Posted by DougTx View Post
    +1 for Magnaflows. I had a Flowmaster 44 cat back set on the vert - stock headers, cats & H-pipe. The drone at highway speeds & cruising around town was brutal! I swapped over to Magnaflows & can actually have a conversation driving around town with the top down. At highway speeds I can still hear the radio. Full throttle runs get louder and sound bad ass! Very happy with them...
    What Magnaflows do you have. The drone mine have is brutal
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    02 Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Matt View Post
    Which Dynomax mufflers do you have? Their Super Turbo's are usually pretty quiet. Race bullets are basically like a straight pipe. Are you running tailpipes or dumps right after the muffler?
    Dynamax Ultra Flow SS
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    02 Thunderbird

If you don’t mind “junkyard parts” look for a set of take-off mufflers from a new 5.0 Mustang. I found them on the local Craigslist. 2-1/2” offset in/out and fit nicely under the car. Here’s a video of them behind a healthy 331 stroker on my old Saleen. I read somewhere that they don’t become a back-pressure issue until you get close to 500 horsepower.

https://youtu.be/_DreSKMX5oU

FEP Member

Magnaflows or Dynomax Super Turbo's are both a lot nicer to drive around with than Ultra Flows. I had Ultra Flows on my Lightning, sounded amazing with them but it was brutally loud for a DD. That truck did make 697/734 RWHP/RWTQ though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsccat View Post
    What Magnaflows do you have. The drone mine have is brutal
    I’ve got the MF Performance straight throughs, part #11236. At idle they’re almost too quiet, but sound great at full throttle and absolutely no drone. Most importantly, the wife likes riding in the vert now...

Really trying to get rid if the drone at cruising speeds. How is it with the flowmasters?
    I just drove it Wednesday and for the life of me I can't remember what the drone is like mainly because I wasn't listening for it, but apparently it wasn't much for me to notice at around 1800-2000 rpms.
    Foxes:
    1983 Mustang GT--Forum Outlaw
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    Other Fords
    1955 F100 351W
    1998 Ranger

"Pink isn't well, he stayed back at hotel."

Had a 67 Mustang verti 289/C4 68-73
    Replaced straight thru Thrush dual dumped with factory dual, manifold to tailpipe back just before selling it.
    Car felt faster, smoother, sounded good, less CO in car.
    Got tired of having the loudest car at a light, or being heard 1/2 block away.
    The closer the exhaust exit is to the engine, the louder it is.
    If had the money would have done the full system sooner.
    To me, carbs make better music than loud mufflers.

Stock 302

Shorty headers, magnaflow cats, flow master 40’s. 2.5”. A little loud for me.

Went to building centre and purchased some metal tiling underlay. Cut a 5 inch wide section about 14 inches long. Wrapped it around a broom handle and shoved it in the tailpipes. Once I was happy with sound, drilled a small hole in the tailpipe by the hanger and screwed in a 1 inch stainless steel screw.

Car still sounds great, no drone. Wife even approves considering we drive it to the cottage about a 100 miles away regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by DadBox View Post
    If you don’t mind “junkyard parts” look for a set of take-off mufflers from a new 5.0 Mustang. I found them on the local Craigslist. 2-1/2” offset in/out and fit nicely under the car. Here’s a video of them behind a healthy 331 stroker on my old Saleen. I read somewhere that they don’t become a back-pressure issue until you get close to 500 horsepower.

https://youtu.be/_DreSKMX5oU
    That's what I put on mine and love them. They are quiet, no drone, and really come alive when you put your foot in to go pedal! You can pick them up cheap almost new as alot pull them quickly...I bought mine for $30 with less than 300 miles on them. They are good for 450 ponies from what I remember about the research I did. I had an offroad H-pipe but later installed an offroad X-pipe with stainless shorty Ford Racing headers.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    That's what I put on mine and love them. They are quiet, no drone, and really come alive when you put your foot in to go pedal! You can pick them up cheap almost new as alot pull them quickly...I bought mine for $30 with less than 300 miles on them. They are good for 450 ponies from what I remember about the research I did. I had an offroad H-pipe but later installed an offroad X-pipe with stainless shorty Ford Racing headers.
    Does the inputs and outputs line up with the existing exhaust? I have 86 style dual exhaust and want mufflers that I can just install in the place of the Dynamax without redoing the remaining exhaust.
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    02 Thunderbird

Does the inputs and outputs line up with the existing exhaust? I have 86 style dual exhaust and want mufflers that I can just install in the place of the Dynamax without redoing the remaining exhaust.
    You have to cut the ends off both sides...where they bolt up and the chrome tips. However, they are like any other offset/offset style muffler. So once the ends are cut off they can either be welded in place (this is what I did) or have the pipe flared and then secured in place.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Another vote for Flowmasters. Always have them on my foxes and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by BlownMerc View Post
    Another vote for Flowmasters. Always have them on my foxes and love them.
    Whats the drone level like?
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    02 Thunderbird

Whats the drone level like?
    In my experience with Flowmasters and Foxes, the drone level and acceptability varies with which Flowmasters you have, X pipe or H pipe, and what gears you are running.

IMHO an X pipe helps to alleviate some of the stock Fox Drone no matter which mufflers you use. Doesn't necessarily get rid of it entirely, but does help to lower the annoying factor if the drone is still present.

The gear ratio can determine if the OEM drone is in the "Cruising" or Highway Speed range. Moving up or down depending on gearing can take you out of that drone RPM and make the car more tolerable.

The Flowmaster 40 Series and the Super 44 series seem to be the most offensive In My Experience with the Drone issue. As you move up in the muffler series the drone factor seems to lessen. I have had good luck with the 40 Delta Flow Series, but that was with a mostly stock 5.0. If you are running a more aggressive cam that can sometimes make the drone worse.

So that should be clear as MUD right! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    In my experience with Flowmasters and Foxes, the drone level and acceptability varies with which Flowmasters you have, X pipe or H pipe, and what gears you are running.

IMHO an X pipe helps to alleviate some of the stock Fox Drone no matter which mufflers you use. Doesn't necessarily get rid of it entirely, but does help to lower the annoying factor if the drone is still present.

The gear ratio can determine if the OEM drone is in the "Cruising" or Highway Speed range. Moving up or down depending on gearing can take you out of that drone RPM and make the car more tolerable.

The Flowmaster 40 Series and the Super 44 series seem to be the most offensive In My Experience with the Drone issue. As you move up in the muffler series the drone factor seems to lessen. I have had good luck with the 40 Delta Flow Series, but that was with a mostly stock 5.0. If you are running a more aggressive cam that can sometimes make the drone worse.

So that should be clear as MUD right! Good Luck!
    Maybe less muddy and more murky lol. I'm into a nice note but not the loud droning. Yes the drone does vary with the RPM at the speed your cruising but generally its just plain annoying. When I got the Dynamax, I spent a lot of time on the phone with LRM to choose the right muffler but as fate would have it they were exactly what I didn't want. Guess I should have leaned on you guys earlier. Many thanks
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    02 Thunderbird

I have BBK long tubes, H pipe with Magnaflow hi flo cats, Flowmaster 40's, and 2.5" pipes. With 3.73 gears it drones pretty annoyingly at 2000-2100 RPM which unfortunately puts me at around 70 mph-what would be a nice cruising speed on the highway. Before that and after that its OK...and I love it around town.

I'm curious about the above solution regarding a broomstick?
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Me too, explain this metal you stuffed in there. Sounds easy and harmless if it doesn't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast