Close

Default Cobra steering rack install

As the title says, I’ve bought an 03/04 Cobra rack, and realize I have to buy the MM hybrid steering shaft to connect it to the column. Now the tricky part. I keep coming up with mixed “how to’s” on what else is required. This car has the 94/95 spindles on it, and if I’m not mistaking, I can just buy sn95 tie rod ends and be good to go. I’ve read everything from needing to replace the tie rods with fox units, to a shorter 93 Taurus tie rod end, which hasn’t been tested. I remember Mr. Hidley saying something about installing the rack, and then determining if the tie rods should be simply shortened. Any input would be appreciated.

Go to MM's website. I bet there are instructions there.

Generally which tie rods you will need will have more to do with what front control arms you are running than anything else as that will dictate your front track width.

The outer tie rod and possible bump steer kits can depend on multiple items such as spindles, ride height, K member, rack bushings, etc.

More information about what your setup is would be helpful. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Trey

I’m running the stock front control arms, H&R Super Sports, factory K member, 94/95 spindles, with standard poly rack bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gt351w View Post
    Thanks Trey

I’m running the stock front control arms, H&R Super Sports, factory K member, 94/95 spindles, with standard poly rack bushings.
    Sounds almost identical to my setup in my 82 GT and I am running the 03/04 Cobra Rack too!

I honestly have not gotten to the point of worrying about tie rod ends, etc. I am still trying to fit the Hyda-Boost with the wider 5.4 DOHC.

The SN95 R&P use Metric thread Tie Rod ends where the Fox are SAE threads, so you can not intermix the two. Most likely the SN95 setup will be too long/wide for your car and require modification (cutting a section off the Tie Rod end(s) ) or swapping the Tie Rod ends out for the Fox setup.

First I would verify the condition of your inner tie rod ends. If they are not in great shape, then you already know you will need to install a pair of inners and that may help with your decisions. I personally recommend using the MM outer tie rod end setup so you can tune out any bumpsteer you will have with your combination. The kit is a quality setup and well worth the money. You don't have to do the bolt thru setup unless you feel the need, as the tapered kit works pretty well IMHO for most Fox setup unless you really slam the car or plan on Road Racing/Autocrossing the vehicle. Hope that helps a bit and I can post up my setup when I finally get around to, although you will most likely beat me to it!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

The tie rods are in good shape. I think I’ll order the bump steer kit for a sn95, and simply cut off the difference on the tie rods (inners) file them, problem solved. If I had to guess, you’d have to remove about 3/4” to an inch. Would literally take 5 minutes with a sawzall.

There are two downsides to that plan of action.

1) When you need to change the inner tie rods in the future, you will need to buy new SN95 tie rods, then shorten them to install them. About 1.15".

2) You need to clean up the threads very well, especially if you are using a bumpsteer kit. The sleeve in the bumpsteer kit is aluminum and if the inner tie rod threads have any deformities in them, the outer tie rod sleeve will be machined as they are screwed in and out.

My general recommendation in this case is therefore to use Fox inner tie rods with Fox outer tie rods or a Fox bumpsteer kit.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

I'm in the middle of doing the exact same conversion on my car. I decided to change my tie rods back to the Fox style for 3 reasons; 1. I know the rack has over 90,000 miles on it so I felt better about putting in a fresh part (I used Moog from Rockauto). 2. It took out the question as to which tie rod ends to use - either stock or MM bumpsteer kit - no thread removal. 3. This seems petty, but I like that the fox tie rod ends have the retaining pin - which the SN95 tie rods ends do not.

Oh and right now the steering shaft is on a weekend sale at MM. (In case santa forgot to bring it down the chimney).

Good luck,
    Howard

The next critical piece to the Cobra rack has arrived. Installed Fox tie rods, which were a breeze with the rack out. Now it’s time to follow the destructions, and center the rack, and clock the wheel. Name:  5D6FF85D-EE47-4D7F-B4B4-A93B93C10C93.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  75.8 KB

Of course Jack could fly out here and hook up half a dozen things and make life a lot easier.

The next critical piece to the Cobra rack has arrived. Installed Fox tie rods, which were a breeze with the rack out. Now it’s time to follow the destructions, and center the rack, and clock the wheel. Name:  5D6FF85D-EE47-4D7F-B4B4-A93B93C10C93.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  75.8 KB

Of course Jack could fly out here and hook up half a dozen things and make life a lot easier.

I only travel to Northern states once all of the snow and rain is gone. And even then only when the customer supplies plane tickets.
    Jack Hidley

Blog Entries

Well, hell, I'll split the ticket price with him and you can put in my tubular K member, too.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Snow and rain is never gone in Mich.
    Warm maybe 5 months out of 12.
    Got icy slush now.

Not to sound like an idiot, but looking at the rack, which one is the pressure, and return? Can’t find my manual.

Not to sound like an idiot, but looking at the rack, which one is the pressure, and return? Can’t find my manual.
    Top fitting should go to the PS cooler loop (Return Low Pressure) and the lower fitting is the Pressure line.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

If you were an actual idiot, you would guess, hook up the hoses backwards and blow things up
    Jack Hidley

Lol !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    If you were an actual idiot, you would guess, hook up the hoses backwards and blow things up
    Don’t forget then after you damage it you have to call the supplier and complain that the parts they sold you were crap !
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

The fluid is ATF Type 4, correct?

The fluid is ATF Type 4, correct?
    Use Type F fluid for the power steering. Works the best.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Lol, why the heck did it auto correct to 4?!?!? I meant F.

Lol, why the heck did it auto correct to 4?!?!? I meant F.
    Sure!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller