Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Haha cool.

Yeah, it's not that i don't think it will run well with speed density. Just that it doesn't seem as sophisticated to me.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Haha cool.

Yeah, it's not that i don't think it will run well with speed density. Just that it doesn't seem as sophisticated to me.
    It's more its ease of turbocharging and the historic use of Bosch L Jetronic with a VAM meter that has looked after Speed Density. European Turbos.

The Mitsubishi method was Karmen Vortex. The Ford style Speed Density makes things simpler, but its MegaSquirt that works in with the very smart TFi, PIP and EDIS style igntion that allows some smooting over of the coarse calculative saw cuts in the Ford EECIV.

IMHO, it was only the LSC that sorted those issues out. In the EECIV, it potentailly makes a lot more torque, and not all Speed Densities have a safe zone for transmision protection on upshifts.

http://www.revvedmag.com/engine-tech...tering-choice/

The comparitive issues are about how close you can match the volumetric efficency when you turn up the wick real high. The idle quality is easy to solve if you use MS2 or MS3, or use the later EECIV 5.0 LSC computer, and pull out the AOD or T5 torque protection algoritim that pulls out timing.

The neatest thing is how easy it is to make a MegaSquirt or EECIV Speed Density hit hard with a turbocharger. You've got some really smart Americans loafing around who can make these humble old PIP and 60 pin plug systems sit up and beg with just a smartering of stock EECIV Ford and GM sensors.

First item of mention has to be Mike1157's Glia Monster...he and others here find there are "Steves" and "Dans" and jrichker's around who have all the support now missing with EECIV. People come out of the woodwork with MS2 and 3 in way they don't with EECIV. Especially helpfull is a many accounts of files sent by email, that then fixes the idle quality.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffdiver86 View Post
    Its DIYautotune's MegaSquirt 2 v.3,..(im assuming the "v" stands for version?)
    email address is danb525@yahoo.com
    Im using the stock igntion/tfi
    As far as mods goes,...40 bob custom inline intake manifold with 65mm tb, 42lb injectors, La3 ecu and big vam (for now) 50 trim t3/t4, ported and externally wastegated E6, 38mm stinger wastegate-open dump tube, 3in stinger elbow, 3in stinger down pipe/ mid pipe, borla XR-1 muffler, Hallman manul boost controller, big front mount intercooler, racer walsh adjustable timing gear pulley, bbk 255lph fuel pump, k&n cone filter, hks ssqv 3 blow off valve, new motorcraft plugs, distributor and wires, 135amp alternator, and i think thats it? Thanks
    Daggysvo-i was thinking the same thing,...$500 for a tune would be pretty reasonable
    Quote Originally Posted by martin0660 View Post
    .......The question is, how do you plan to accomplish this? It's NOT plug and play into a stock EEC in any way. It can be done with a chip and something like quarterhorse and binary editor software, but the "community" has long ago moved on from that and support is very thin. You mentioned a PE, and most of the better definition files are for the LA series stuff. My main point is by the time you source the EEC, The tuner, the software, even if you have the MAF, you still have a fair amount of $$'s, and end up with a MAF tuned combo that will be troublesome. I lived it 5 or more years ago, I had mine as blow through mass air and it was just frustrating. The bulk of he 2,3 world runs MegaSquirt based solutions ... cost effective, speed density based (no maf), and mot importantly, a wide range of support options......

Very interesting. And I was under the impression the support/knowledge would be BETTER with EEC. Guess I'm wrong!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Very interesting. And I was under the impression the support/knowledge would be BETTER with EEC. Guess I'm wrong!
    I think "knowledge" is better with EECIV, but its no longer Supported as well as Fords code is not open source, and people have to work with the stock methods of Fords very strict protocols. J3 binary Editor stuff is not ever going to fix fundamental restrictions on the operation of Speed Density unless its the last Live Data Lincoln LSC computer code with some "Sailor Bob" mods. That dudes name keeps on comming up time and time again, so I'm sure its not snake oil.

Down here in New Zealand and Australia, these EEC systems were done a little differently, and were unpicked by Ti Performance. I offered to port and gasflow cylinder heads for him, and Tristan took my phonecall, and told me with the alloy heads around, no fool would ever make money porting iron heads. On ECU's, he said Ti Performance was the only option, with the US EECIV's well backed up. And that was it for me, never took it any further, just learned the Shop Tech.

On the basis of other peoples dealings, the Aussies and some Kiwis have made these stock Ford 5.0 EFi things work brilliantly. Ford Australia went to EECV with non OBDII, and the base system has always been MAF, no SD. xafalcon from http://www.fordmods.com has used the US and Aussie 5.0 Computers, normally with MAF. Its past 350 hp that the system dips out, but a common 350 to 425 hp transform exists to make it work. Same in the USA.

From 225 to 325, the MAF size diameter is determined by engine power - 55mm = 275HP, 73mm = 350HP, 80mm = 425HP.

MegaSquirt or EECIV or EECV, MAF transform's exist that are bullet proof and are a good bet. So do SD ones, but its a backward step if your ECU was born Mass Air.

Tristan said IHHO, SD is always a backward step, but thats because he has gone on to non ODBII EECV, and gone right into it in his 5.0 Mustang Fox 93/SN95 and Explorer Hot Rods. He's a PLC guru, so it easy to spit ball all the sensor stuff, and he has more fun.

jrichker was very helpfull with the Gila Monster, and is now able to start fully supporting MAF with MS2 V3.

Back to the long wire to EECIV. Enjoy your work, and if you have problems, just ask.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12