Close

Default Need help diagnosing ticking noise

I have 85 Mustang lx that I recently bought with 3.8l engine 107k miles. I have some hearing loss but it has a what I hear as a ticking noise that I'm having trouble locating. I can't hear it when standing in front of the car with the hood up, but I do hear it standing near the door. I have listened with a mechanics stethoscope and I hear it loudest when in contact with the exhaust just below the manifold. It doesn't seem to be an exhaust leak. The noise does increase with increased rpms but doesn't seem to be fast enough to be rod or bearing related to me but I'm not a mechanic. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I have changed the oil and have good oil pressure and replaced a leaking water pump.

Lifter tick. Try running some of that engine flush stuff and then changing the oil. That's always got rid of a lifter tick for me.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

As do I, intermittently, with my '86 3.8... and I haven't much doubt it's whatever remains after 31 years of debris that resembles burnt driftwood of whatever is left inside the convertor/s nearest the manifolds rattling around now and then.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    Lifter tick. Try running some of that engine flush stuff and then changing the oil. That's always got rid of a lifter tick for me.
    I can give it a try but with a stethoscope on the valve covers I don't hear it there

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    As do I, intermittently, with my '86 3.8... and I haven't much doubt it's whatever remains after 31 years of debris that resembles burnt driftwood of whatever is left inside the convertor/s nearest the manifolds rattling around now and then.
    The converters have been removed, new exhaust from the manifolds back.

There are plenty of things in an engine bay that can make that kind of noise, from clicking relays to belt-driven components at the front, or just loose parts flopping around. The fact that it increases and decreases with the RPM of the motor says that it's most likely a lifter or something driven off of a belt. I'd think that hearing it in the exhaust manifold doesn't necessarily mean it's not a lifter/valve. The valve covers are a few inches above the valves, so you might not hear it as well on the top of the cover as much as directly off the head (or header). There are some oil additives that might help with that, try one of them first to see if that changes anything. A little lifter noise in a 30 year old car isn't unusual or even a problem really. I'd assume that car is a cruiser more than anything, so I don't think it's probably anything to worry about.

Blog Entries

Pull the belts off of the crank pulley, start it up. This will eliminate or confirm belt driven accessories. From there, it gets really hard to diagnose over a keyboard. As said, it could be lifters, broken cats, etc. It even sounds like it could be flywheel/ converter related from what you are describing. Any chance of posting a video?
    Last edited by brianj; 12-20-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    Pull the belts off of the crank pulley, start it up. This will eliminate or confirm belt driven accessories. From there, it gets really hard to diagnose over a keyboard. As said, it could be lifters, broken cats, etc. It even sounds like it could be flywheel/ converter related from what you are describing. Any chance of posting a video?
    I'll give that a try. The cats have been removed so I can rule that out. I will try to get a good video and post it. Thanks for the suggestions