Close

Default Not Happy with T-Top Weather Stripping from LMR!

Having major issues trying to get the weather stripping to seal up against the top rear door window. Even tried to build it up with supplied backer rod. Might try to readjust my door and tilt it more inward to help close the gap. It's just that the corner of the weather stripping at the top rear is very shadow thus causing the window not to seal up against it. Any help we be appreciated. Thanks

Unfortunately, the factory decided that door adjustment at the doors wasn't ever gonna be necessary.

Window position adjustment is possible though, and shown here at FEP...

http://foureyedpride.com/fep_bild/v/...eak/?g2_page=4
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Thanks for the Great link. Will see if I can get it fixed. Last resort would be to go the glass place or body shop.

Double check condition of your door hinges and bushings. Also you can move the strike pin upward slightly if there is sag causing a gap at the front of the glass.

+1 on the glass adjustment.

is it the Daniel carpenter weather strip? I installed a set on my car recently and liked the way it went in. when my windows are up they don't seal the greatest either. but it doesn't bother me because my car is a garage queen and will never see rain anyway. my windows are down all summer.

I installed this kit on my car about 4 yrs ago and was not to happy with the results either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure the LMR kit is NOT Daniel Carpenter weather stripping. LMR's weatherstripping doesn't show the Ford Original Tooling logo and to my knowledge only the Daniel Carpenter parts are from original Ford tooling.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I bought a set several years ago for a 88. They were made by the company softseal. The new weatherstripping was "smaller" than the compressed old worn out weatherstripping. I was so mad about how the passenger side fit I never did put the drivers side on. I complained to the company to no avail.

So Daniel Carpenter is the best out their? What about used take offs?

Quote Originally Posted by racerxmd View Post
    So Daniel Carpenter is the best out their? What about used take offs?
    In my experience the used take offs are destroyed during removal or damaged enough that there is little to no benefit to them.

Besides, why would someone remove them if they aren't leaking. Maybe a part out situation, but still I would rather install new weatherstripping rather than attempting to reuse some old questionable stuff. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

All of your effort is a giant waste of time unless (as already mentioned above) the door hinges are totally tight. Very few are unless they have already been replaced/repaired.

I'm pretty sure all the places selling the kit is the all the same kit with different packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by badnightrain View Post
    I'm pretty sure all the places selling the kit is the all the same kit with different packaging.
    Not necessarily true. Daniel Carpenter stuff is the best out there typically, and is built from original Ford Tooling. DC products are sold by a lot of distributors, including LMR, FMR, NPD and others. DC stuff is clearly labeled as DC and states ORIGINAL FORD TOOLING...it is not re-packaged/rebranded.

The stuff the LMR sells as "5.0 Resto" branded is aftermarket for them, and depending on the product may or may not be inferior. I can't speak to their weather stripping but I'm guessing there is a difference in quality...and cost? First place I would check is Fox Mustang Restoration to see if they have any Daniel Carpenter T-top kits....maybe it hasn't been reproduced in some time and is not in stock? I would think LMR would have it on their site if so?

A lot of what LMR offers in their 5.0 Resto/SVE Brand is nice stuff....TRX and Pony wheels as an example, which I have and really like. Other stuff seems to get mixed reviews and may not work for the purist that wants 100% concours correct....or 100% leak proof t-tops, which I think we all can agree is like finding a unicorn
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 12-26-2017 at 03:45 PM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post

....or 100% leak proof t-tops, which I think we all can agree is like finding a unicorn
    Yeah Jason, I agree on this one. Anyone who was around them when they were fresh off the lots back in the day knows full well that they leaked from day one. That's why the option was discontinued. They sucked sometimes but were fun in nice weather. They all had wind and water leaks and terrible rattles. If you remember otherwise time (or some other substance, haha) has clouded your memory.