Close

Default Restoring emblems, installing on car

I got some new emblems from a fellow member on here and just curious as to how you guys restore your old emblems and put them on the car. Is it as easy as cleaning the area with soap and rubbing alcohol and sticking them on with some double sided tape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Which emblems are you talking about?? It may make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Which emblems are you talking about?? It may make a difference.

Got some original take off 5.0s and a 5 speed emblem. They're going on an LTD LX

1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

So they are just the plastic emblems with double sided tape. There is only one brand of double sided tape as far as I'm concerned and that is 3M. As far as cleaning the old plastic emblems you will have to remove ALL the old tape from the back before putting new tape on. As far as the chrome you will just have to carefully polish it with some good chrome polish. Before installing the emblems on the car you will have to clean the paint very good. The best thing to start with is wax and grease remover. I personally use lacquer thinner but you have to be extremely careful not to mess up the paint with that. Don't use rubbing alcohol use denatured alcohol. Finish the cleaning of the paint with dish detergent like Dawn.
    Remember, you only get one shot at placing the emblem so make sure you have it exactly where you want it.
    Last edited by dagenham; 12-14-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    So they are just the plastic emblems with double sided tape. There is only one brand of double sided tape as far as I'm concerned and that is 3M. As far as cleaning the old plastic emblems you will have to remove ALL the old tape from the back before putting new tape on. As far as the chrome you will just have to carefully polish it with some good chrome polish. Before installing the emblems on the car you will have to clean the paint very good. The best thing to start with is wax and grease remover. I personally use lacquer thinner but you have to be extremely careful not to mess up the paint with that. Don't use rubbing alcohol use denatured alcohol. Finish the cleaning of the paint with dish detergent like Dawn.
    Remember, you only get one shot at placing the emblem so make sure you have it exactly where you want it.
    Thank you for that!! New to this side of working on these things and I know this site is a gold mine of information!

We are all here to help each other out. And occasionally dish out a little good humored ribbing.

FEP Supporter

These may help also.

I measured and taped the position prior to sticking. This way no mistakes!

Name:  IMG_9466.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  135.9 KBName:  IMG_9482.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  72.1 KBName:  IMG_9476.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  60.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!