Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default To Sell Or Not To Sell

Hey FEP Gang,
    I'm kinda at a crossroad here. Since I have taken on a new position at work and possibly a new outlook on my career, I just don't know if I will have the time to not only finish my 1984 8Q Mustang but to enjoy it. At this point in time, I haven't seen the car but 1 week out of the past 2 months. I have a hard time letting something sit and rot away, but yet I don't want to sell it either as I love this car! I'm looking for some guidance.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

All work & no play make Brock a boring boy...The question you have to ask is where ya gonna find another one.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Keep it ,you will regret it when the new owner drive off with it.

Default To Sell Or Not To Sell

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    All work & no play make Brock a boring boy...The question you have to ask is where ya gonna find another one.
    X2 on this post. Not so much on the boring part but on the finding another part.

But then you will have another sad face in your sig.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by ddx77 View Post
    X2 on this post. Not so much on the boring part but on the finding another part.
    Not to be overly philisophical but I'd be more worried about the guy who has no time for anything but work. That is kinda where my life is and I'm here to say it's not sustainable. Make sure your priorities are right and if that includes the cars fate.

Whhhaat!!
    You’re not selling that car. You’ve already got far to much blood, sweat and tears in it to let it go. The car will be just fine waiting for You in the garage. Enjoy it when you can and just know it’s there. She’s not eating any oats (well, maybe insurance and tag). I think we can all see how much you like that Car and I believe you would quickly regret letting it go. Just my observations.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Brock,

If you don't HAVE to sell the car, then just let it sit and enjoy it when you have the time.

I will be 4 months away from home when I get home for Christmas hopefully by the end of next week. Needless to say I haven't seen my 82 GT and honestly I have only been able to "Play" with my GT for a couple of days this whole year. BUT there is NO WAY I am getting rid of it.

I bought the 82 RS a few weeks after getting down here and I haven't had a chance to touch it for the last 2 months. STILL NOT Getting rid of that one either. These cars generally cost us little or nothing to sit. Not the best way to enjoy them, but much better than selling and regretting it after the fact.

Congrats and Good Luck with the new position!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

No need to sell, place it on jackstands, throw a California Car Cover on it, put some Stabil in the tank, and leave it be for 3-4 years. These cars are all done depreciating, and have nowhere to go but up.

Yup, i agree with all posts. Let her be if you do not "need" to sell. ive sold off a couple and its hard seeing them be gone.

Make your own choice, but people , um, "your age with your experience" are the movers and shakers in the middle of America. As a foreigner, I have seen just how much clout a person from Nebraska has in the world. (I've spent moths working with a Nebraska and years with Chicago family on the foreshore doing warf related inventory stuff, and you guys are the top of the kings here. )

Our fire protection systems and sales of world class products is based on finding markets, its propelled by the USA, and its making a finacial return. You have value that is intangible to a bank manager, but tangible to the companies you link up with. You create wealth for them, and people need your skills to give a greater chance of sucess.

Back to the car....

At a personal level, you should be free to set it loose if thats what you choose, but your 8Q is almost fully bebugged, and its only an engine block and heads away from perfection.

You have to weigh the cost of what other company car or away from home or state transport your likely to be using.

If your going to sell it, call me, and I'll take it unengined and undriven. I've got dibbs on another Fox here from another member. This is not A i'll take it if its for sale, THIS IS JUST A NARRITIVE OF ADVICE.

Aussies and Kiwis want to your Fox cars, mainly Mustangs and Capris, but also Tbirds so if you want it to go to a great home, then I'm your man, but I have two Foxes I'd like, yours to replace my 81, and one I've also been offered another which I'd love my wife to have. We have SUV's and Xover AWD's for winter.

So think it over for yourself, but know this. The true value of a Fox is that its no Model T, its preactically a usable Specialty car, especially the short wheel base Mustangs, Capris and post 83-85 S cars like the Tbird, XR7 Cougar and LSC Mark VII. Underated as heck, and as reliable as the best, and parts exist by the boat load.

Brock,
    If you sell it, I'm heading your way and will do one of 2 things:
    1) put a size 10DDDD up your behind
    2) kick you in the junk.

Either way, it won't hurt as much as selling the 84.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Unless you absolutely have to sell for $$ or family reasons, don't do it. Remember how excited you were after Foxtoberfest? Remember how much fun you had taking that thing across more than half the country and back?? Remember how you were so energized to try to start an All Fox Event in the Midwest??? I've only met you once briefly so I can't say with certainty...but I think you will regret it big time!

Take if from someone who travels for work and gets limited time with the toys....it is still a blast when you are able to get them out and take them to events, or pick up on a project and knock a task off the to-do list. My cars get less than 100 miles (each) each summer. There is no harm in letting them sit for periods of time between bouts of enjoyment

Your job may be changing for now, but that doesn't mean you will NEVER have any more spare time to enjoy your hobbies. Just imagine the day when the job does allow for that elusive "Brock Time"....and the car is no in the garage to fire up and go cruising To compound that...imagine that feeling, and then realizing you have some $$ to burn and trying to find another just like it, without the inflation that the Four Eyes are starting to experience

It's "Hibernation Season" right now...no harm in putting it away for the winter and thinking this through, thoroughly before doing anything drastic. I will see my cars throughout the winter as I tinker in the garage, but they won't see the light of day until April.
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 12-14-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Listen to all of the great advice. Tuck her in for the winter, the correct way, and wake her up in the spring. Shake down run in the spring will be validation enough.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

I have waited 20 years to drive my fox since my first one got wrecked. Its not worth what I have in it, but I wouldn't sell it for twice that. Take a break, work on a volvo p1800 for your wife over the winter you'll be ready for a coke in the spring

Thanks guys, there is a ton of good advice here and I appreciate it. I guess maybe I'm just having one of those rapidly changing life cycles where I'm spazzing out a bit.

It probably doesn't help where I'm bouncing back and forth and inhaling WAAAAYYYY too much second hand wacky tabbacy.......even though the hotel has a "$150 cleaning deposit for smoking of any form".

I know I don't want to sell it and I love this car to no end. It's probably just me but I had high hopes for it this winter and from the looks of it, if I'm home 26 weeks out of next year, I will be doing good. Not much is going to be done and I guess I should spend the time to put her away properly this week when I come home.

I will properly put her away this weekend when I come home.
    Brock

I have to agree with everyone else, if you don't need to sell for financial/family reasons, keep it. You've got a lot of time and effort in it, depreciation should be done, and even if you only get to drive it a few times a year now it should be a great time. I think it's shaping up nicely and you should hold on to it.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    Brock,
    If you sell it, I'm heading your way and will do one of 2 things:
    1) put a size 10DDDD up your behind
    2) kick you in the junk.

Either way, it won't hurt as much as selling the 84.
    Geez! Neither option sounds like a good compromise!
    Brock

My 79 Pace car sat for almost 12 years before legally being able to drive it again. I bought it in the fall of 1989 and drove it until the late 90's before taking it off the road.
    As long as you have the space and don't need the cash, keep it - it will be worth it in the long run.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Don't do it. I've regretted selling nearly every hobby car I've had. I really, REALLY miss my '69 Falcon. This is my first four-eyed, just acquired last March, but I've wanted one since they were new! No matter what, I won't sell it, even if it sits for years before I finish it.

I bought my 64 1/2 Mustang when I was 19 (1990), and started restoring it. Got tangled up with hottie with big boobs, married her, had some kids, and the ol' Muskrat sat. And sat. Aannnddd sat. Come 2002, I got divorced (pre-emptively sold the Muskrat to my dad for $1, then bought it back), finished it as therapy. Drove it for the first time since 1990 in 2004. I almost died of excitement! Fast forward to 2010, and another hottie was really captivated with my car, and the fact I restored it myself. We're now married (2012), and work on cars together! The moral of the story? The car will patiently wait for your life to be able to include it once again.
    Last edited by FB71; 12-14-2017 at 08:23 PM.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

It has nothing to do with financial or family reasons. Don't need the money and even though the wife gives me crap about it not being used enough, it's shop art most of the time, she is supportive.
    It's me I guess. I hate to see something sit. I hate that I can't be working on it...preparing it for next year. I hate that work seems to dictate life.

I'm just frustrated, behind the 8 ball, and trying to meet unrealistic expectations while the things I love get pushed to the wayside, thanks to work. Thanks for listening to me whine about something every red blooded person in this country deals with on a day to day basis. I needed to vent to like minded people and get my car related head screwed back on correctly.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Unless you absolutely have to sell for $$ or family reasons, don't do it. Remember how excited you were after Foxtoberfest? Remember how much fun you had taking that thing across more than half the country and back?? Remember how you were so energized to try to start an All Fox Event in the Midwest??? I've only met you once briefly so I can't say with certainty...but I think you will regret it big time!

Take if from someone who travels for work and gets limited time with the toys....it is still a blast when you are able to get them out and take them to events, or pick up on a project and knock a task off the to-do list. My cars get less than 100 miles (each) each summer. There is no harm in letting them sit for periods of time between bouts of enjoyment

Your job may be changing for now, but that doesn't mean you will NEVER have any more spare time to enjoy your hobbies. Just imagine the day when the job does allow for that elusive "Brock Time"....and the car is no in the garage to fire up and go cruising To compound that...imagine that feeling, and then realizing you have some $$ to burn and trying to find another just like it, without the inflation that the Four Eyes are starting to experience

It's "Hibernation Season" right now...no harm in putting it away for the winter and thinking this through, thoroughly before doing anything drastic. I will see my cars throughout the winter as I tinker in the garage, but they won't see the light of day until April.
    This post helps a ton! Thanks Jason! You are correct, I'm ready to make both the Midwest All Fox Event happen and travel to Foxtoberfest again next year. I can and will make this happen.....even if I have limited time on my plate. It will just make me work a bit harder to get ahead of schedule so I can get some "Me Time".
    Brock

I'm with you on the sitting... That's why I sold my Falcon. Didn't think I'd be able to get to it before it started to deteriorate... Now I catch myself shopping Falcons constantly...
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

Quote Originally Posted by FB71 View Post
    I'm with you on the sitting... That's why I sold my Falcon. Didn't think I'd be able to get to it before it started to deteriorate... Now I catch myself shopping Falcons constantly...
    I think you made an awesome choice. Your current 4eye rocks! Looks good, smells good and seems to run awesome! Hope it's in the family for the long haul!
    Brock

I think most of us at a certain age have been there...when we're young we have all the time and ambition in the world, but no money to make our dreams happen. Then we get older and start making the money, but that money comes with more responsibilities and time commitments at work. Then family comes, and more time committed to things other than our hobbies, and frankly ourselves. This is where mid-life crises are born...

I agree with everyone saying that you shouldn't sell the car for the wrong reasons. Sell it because you don't really want it, or because you need the money or the space in the garage, or even if it causes stress in the marriage and it's not always worth it, hey, we all make decisions in our lives that involve sacrificing one thing for something more important. That said, I think it's important to not KEEP something for the wrong reasons too. Sometimes the thing, in this case the car, becomes more than the thing itself. Not selling it because you hate to see it go, but otherwise really don't have any interest in using it, for instance, would be keeping it for the wrong reason. It becomes a burden for you instead of a joy. I loved my '70 Cutlass but at the time I didn't have a garage and I hated to see it deteriorating in the driveway so I had to let it go. It was tough to see it go, but it was also a relief because I knew at the time that I couldn't properly take care of it. I'd done an amateurish restoration on it to make it a decent driver but it really needed to be taken apart and properly restored and I couldn't do it. I still miss that car, and 70 convertibles are pretty pricey now and I'll probably never replace it, but it was the right move.

If it isn't in the way, and you really want to keep it, and you look forward to working on it, then keep it. If you find a few years from now that you haven't touched it, then you can sell it then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast