Close

Default Anyone Got Experience Making Caliper Brackets?

I'm starting work on my brakes and decided the 11.25" rotor up front would look silly in my 17" wheels so I started looking at using cobra front rotors (13"). I found some powerstop drilled and slotted rotors new for 70 bucks shipped and jumped on it.

I would like to reuse the explorer calipers I've got as they're just about the same size pistons as the cobra calipers.

Here I've put the bracket and a pad on the rotor to see how it sits:
    Name:  IMG_20171213_080519.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  79.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_20171213_080531.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  45.4 KB

With the caliper butted up against the rotor this is where the pad sits, it is fully on the face of the rotor, no hanging over.
    You can also see where the caliper pistons act on the pads.
    But, this also means the rotor is touching the caliper.

I can find the gap for the old setup and work towards that, if anyone has a suggestion for a bracket-rotor gap I'm listening.
    Would I be crazy to clearance the bracket for some more space (and not even much, say an 1/8" at the most)?

With the caliper set on:
    Name:  IMG_20171213_080554.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  49.4 KB

I understand budget concerns and wanting to use parts you already have, but . . .

IMHO you are better off just buying the correct Cobra calipers and cradles and have a killer set of brakes, rather than trying to modify a cradle, etc. to make it all work.

I personally wouldn't not want to trust my life or that of my loved ones to a modified cradle just to save a few dollars. Will the cradle be fine after trimming a bit off, Maybe Maybe Not. I just don't want my butt in the car if you find out that later.

Just my .02 worth, your opinion may differ. Good Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 12-13-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Trey, you're right it isn't worth the risk.

Looks like the hunt for some cobra calipers is on.

EDIT:
    Found some of the 94-98 cobra Raybestos remans on ebay for a good price, is there a big difference between the 38x38mm and 40x40mm calipers?
    Last edited by jeremyp; 12-14-2017 at 11:47 AM.

I'm using the 94-98 Cobra calipers because the bore sizing is inline with the 73 Ranchero master cylinder I'm using. I have an extra set of front Cobra brackets if you need them that I acid stripped the galvanizing off of and painted black with caliper paint.

Personally, I don't like drilled rotors. I don't see the point on vented rotors. On a solid rotor, maybe... Drilled rotors are prone to cracking between the holes. I can see a benefit to slotting for cleaning the pads, but they will more than likely eat the pads up more quickly. If this is a street car drilling is less of a concern, but subject them to some serious heat with an aggressive pad and you may have problems.

EBC doesn't care for them either: https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/dange...rilled-rotors/

Sorry to pee in the Cheerios.

Cale

The biggest issue most have with these types of brake swaps is not matching their calipers front to rear and matching that to the Master cylinder bore sizing.

Most seem to prefer the 99-04 Cobra calipers over the 94-98. Either work just fine, it all depends on your system setup and what MC you plan on using.

More information in regards to the rest of your system will help to determine if the 94/98 or the 99/04 calipers are a better match to your setup.

I also agree with Cale in regards to the rotors. I don't like drilled rotors at all. I have used them in my younger and dumber years when I didn't know better and always experienced cracks between the drilled holes. I personally don't have an issue with the slotted rotors and have run those on multiple vehicles without issues. Probably a bit overkill for most street cars, but I have not experienced any issues or durability problems.

Let us know what the rest of your brake system is and we can try to help from there.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I went to Autozone, bought 04 Cobra calipers, and returned my GT calipers for the core. I believe it was around 70 bucks per side not counting the core.

I've got a 04 cobra irs rear end and i did end up getting re-manufactured 94-98 cobra calipers and brackets for a good price too.
    The front rotors are powerstop and i got them for about 70 shipped.

I'm planning on sticking with manual brakes, I assume I'll need to upgrade from my 80 4cyl master cylinder though. Wisdom of the internet says the cobra rear brakes are the same size bore despite two different sized fronts. I'm unsure if I've shifted weight in one direction or the other, should I go for a proportioning valve too?

A proportioning valve is mandatory.

You will need to gut or remove the OEM proportioning valve and install an adjustable proportioning valve.

If your M/C is in good shape, you might consider leaving it as is until you are able to drive the car and see how everything works and how the brake pedal feels. IIRC the bore size for your car should be 7/8" so very similar to the 94/95 Cobra M/C so it should work pretty well. I can't comment on how the pedal will "feel" as I have done a non power assisted Cobra brake swap, so I have no information to work from. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I heard the Summit brand proportioning valve is a Wilwood, apparently peel off the Summit sticker and it says Wilwood under that.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3905

Cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    I heard the Summit brand proportioning valve is a Wilwood, apparently peel off the Summit sticker and it says Wilwood under that.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3905

Cale
    The same valve is private labeled under Ford Racing too! Good valve, I have it in 3 of my Foxes!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks for the input on proportioning valves, I'll add that to my parts list!

I've went ahead and posted some mockup pics on my main build thread.

Again, I am grateful for the input!

Since no one has mentioned the M2300K instruction manual yet, I will. :-)

Take a look at the manual. There's a lot of good info in there.
    https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...htM-2300-K.pdf

Btw, when I did my M2300K kit, I got an ~400th generation xerox copy that basically said:
    "Take off old stuff, put on new stuff, ******* off if you need more details than that". :-)

Good Luck!