Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dtmilsap View Post
    I would love to see pics of spoiler mocked up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Not sure we are on the same page... The spoiler I have is a replica of an ASC Mclaren wing. If you look up any ASC Capri there are pictures of exactly what it looks like. Am I misunderstanding?
    FML. Lets try this one more time.

Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    I have a bubble hatch car and I will agree to be an independent tester with fair result representation if we can come to terms that make it worth while to be the first.
    I will keep you posted as soon as I have more info. Meeting is still on for Monday.

I'm in for an ASC style spoiler (pending $$$)
    Also, look into console inserts, shifter bezel.........
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    10-4 I will keep you posted.

Foxaholic

I live here in California and capris are very scarce. I've been looking for a good bulge hood scoop for my 82 Capri. If you happen to make one of them I'll be in the market for purchasing one
    ~LES~
    157 HP @ 4200 RPM
    240 ft/lb @ 2400 RPM

"Yeah Baby Feel That Pure Power"
    Capri:
    Is a Mustang With Hips And Class

OK guys, I got a solid baseline on how this is going to work... or rather how this could work if enough of you all are interested...

Basic cost to pull a mold is $50 per square foot... Cost of each part is half that, so cost comes down fairly quick in higher numbers. They said they may be able to bring per part costs down a bit more if I order in batches of 5 or 10. How much lower depends on which kind of part it is.

Example hood 4'x4'= 16sqft x $50 = $800 for mold + $400 per hood... 5 hoods would be in the $600 range without any extra price break...

What I had suggested is I start with a couple of the smaller items I was interested in. (Sail Panels, Headlight bezels, etc)

Example sail panels 4sqft/pair X $50 = $200 Mold + $100 per Pair... 5 Sets ends up around $150 a set.

They expressed confidence in doing pretty much every part I showed them... Including Bubble Hatch frame and ASC Wing...

But yeah chew on those numbers and let me know if any of you have any constructive feedback or interest... I already commissioned 5 sets of SVO style Sail Panels to test them out. I figure those should be fairly easy to break even on.

I know I posted this as Capri specific but really I am happy to bring them any part you guys want that's currently not reproduced. They also do Carbon Fiber wrapping of existing parts. Think DASH PADS

My current plan is to start with the smaller pieces since I only have about 4 or 5 people kind of sort of interested.

Quote Originally Posted by 9DBlackMagic View Post
    I live here in California and capris are very scarce. I've been looking for a good bulge hood scoop for my 82 Capri. If you happen to make one of them I'll be in the market for purchasing one
    I am ABSOLUTELY going to have them make the Bulge hood scoop... its my favorite

Guesstimate on cost is 2'x3' X $50 to pull mold...$300 Then somewhere in the $150 range per part. So if I get 5 it should be around $210 + whatever shipping handling tax blah blah... This is preliminary until I receive a hard paper quote from them.

I forgot to mention the interior parts when I was there today but I will mention it when I talk to them again. I would be surprised if noone had done a CF shifter bezel yet, but I have not looked.

How about the rear spoiler?

Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    How about the rear spoiler?
    I am debating what I want to do about this...

Things to consider... Not everyone's glass sits exactly the same (A problem I had with the fiberglass repro).
    I do not have good trim on my hatch to match it up to... I DO have a NOS bubble hatch frame though. I was going to ask on here if anyone has a NOS (Preferably never installed) ASC Wing that could be temporarily donated for the purpose of making the mold as close to perfect as possible. I would hate to make the CF mold from a warped or slightly crooked repro. I prefer to make it as close to the original as possible, rather than as a copy of a copy...

Regardless It WILL be happening one way or another... the question is in which incarnation.

I had alternately considered making a One-Piece Hatch Frame / wing combo...

If you were only asking specifically on price... Guesstimate would be something like

5sqft(guessing here) x $50 = $250 to pull mold + 1/2 that per part produced... so for one $375+ for 5 $300+ for 10 $275ish...

(DISCLAIMER- These are my own estimations based on their basic rates. Actual final prices may vary)

For anyone who wants to contact me directly about this project, send me a message and I will gladly give you my Phone number for text or voice calls

So, my business sense is telling me that the more people that buy, the cheaper per for the rest of us?
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

So, my business sense is telling me that the more people that buy, the cheaper per for the rest of us?
    Nailed it. Gold star lol

Hahahahaha
    conmech - aka Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrippler View Post
    I am ABSOLUTELY going to have them make the Bulge hood scoop... its my favorite

Guesstimate on cost is 2'x3' X $50 to pull mold...$300 Then somewhere in the $150 range per part. So if I get 5 it should be around $210 + whatever shipping handling tax blah blah... This is preliminary until I receive a hard paper quote from them.
    I have a scoop AND vents sitting in my garage taking up space...... need samples to help out? Please text me.
    conmech - aka Marshall

All the costs/pricing you showing seem pretty reasonable to me. Honestly the $50/sq ft mold making cost is really pretty good IMHO. Nothing seems outrageous or ridiculous to me. The big question is just the same with our Four Eyed crowd . . . Will enough people step up with cash in hand when the time comes. I truly hope so!

I will question the costs and construction on items such as the sail panels. This is due to the fact that you have to replicate both sides of the panels to make a bolt on part. What are the plans for the mounting stud pads and attaching studs? The other question on the sail panels would be which SVO panels are you reproducing? I assume the E4ZX version, but there is also the E6ZX version. Essentially the same, but the mounting stud locations are slightly different. The E4ZX panels work better on the majority of the Four Eyes with little or no modifications, but the E6ZX does fit better on the 86 models in my experience. Not a huge deal either way as all you have to do is drill 2 holes oversize to allow for adjustment and fitment of the panels to the car, but something to keep in mind.

Not trying to derail your thread, just wanted to add some information and verify some others. Hope that helps. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    All the costs/pricing you showing seem pretty reasonable to me. Honestly the $50/sq ft mold making cost is really pretty good IMHO. Nothing seems outrageous or ridiculous to me. The big question is just the same with our Four Eyed crowd . . . Will enough people step up with cash in hand when the time comes. I truly hope so!

I will question the costs and construction on items such as the sail panels. This is due to the fact that you have to replicate both sides of the panels to make a bolt on part. What are the plans for the mounting stud pads and attaching studs? The other question on the sail panels would be which SVO panels are you reproducing? I assume the E4ZX version, but there is also the E6ZX version. Essentially the same, but the mounting stud locations are slightly different. The E4ZX panels work better on the majority of the Four Eyes with little or no modifications, but the E6ZX does fit better on the 86 models in my experience. Not a huge deal either way as all you have to do is drill 2 holes oversize to allow for adjustment and fitment of the panels to the car, but something to keep in mind.

Not trying to derail your thread, just wanted to add some information and verify some others. Hope that helps. Good Luck!
    Short answer is post bonding studs instead of molding the back side but I will reply with more detail after work

Foxaholic

Subscribing to keep up to date as this progresses.

Strong interest in Spoiler, hatch frame, and front air damn, especially if that had a CF option.

Obviously price conscious and nothing here makes that sound out of line. As with most of these type of items, it's shipping that kills them. I could only imagine the cost of a hatch frame shipped.

Not naysaying, but what I've observed on these type of projects is the shipping always becomes an issue.

In particular, a spoiler in the $250-300 range I really feel like is a winner (and manageable from a shipping standpoint.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Quote Originally Posted by martin0660 View Post

Strong interest in Spoiler, hatch frame, and front air damn, especially if that had a CF option.

Obviously price conscious and nothing here makes that sound out of line. As with most of these type of items, it's shipping that kills them. I could only imagine the cost of a hatch frame shipped.

Not naysaying, but what I've observed on these type of projects is the shipping always becomes an issue.

In particular, a spoiler in the $250-300 range I really feel like is a winner (and manageable from a shipping standpoint.
    Point noted about shipping... I don't know if the spoiler is going to get that low... I just got the official hard quote on SVO style sail panels and while higher than I originally had hoped, it is at least official. More on that in a couple posts down...

On another point... looks like these guys do not deal in fiberglass at all, strictly CF. So when the hatch frame and air dam come up I will keep you posted.

I will question the costs and construction on items such as the sail panels. This is due to the fact that you have to replicate both sides of the panels to make a bolt on part. What are the plans for the mounting stud pads and attaching studs? The other question on the sail panels would be which SVO panels are you reproducing?

No Trey,

You are absolutely right... mold price DID come back higher than I estimated, like double, but there is a positive side. They gave me 2 options on finish and the sandable paintable finish is a fair bit cheaper than the "Pretty" version. The underlined prices are official quotes for the 2 jobs. The breakdown prices are my own guess at per set different finish options. Open to input. BTW the mold is good for 100 Sets so yeah there's that too.

Official quote for the first job I am commissioning from them is $1720 for 5 Pairs of SVO Sails. This INCLUDES the cost of the mold at $585 (One mold does a set of left and right) This is for 2 sets sandable paintable finish and 3 Sets "Pretty" finish

My thinking was something like $300 Paintable and 380 "Pretty"

If I did 10 sets it comes down to $2855 ($270 Paintable $295 "Pretty")

Now regardless of if you are considering purchasing what would you say is a fair ratio between the 2 finishes???

I assume the E4ZX version, but there is also the E6ZX version. Essentially the same, but the mounting stud locations are slightly different. The E4ZX panels work better on the majority of the Four Eyes with little or no modifications, but the E6ZX does fit better on the 86 models in my experience. Not a huge deal either way as all you have to do is drill 2 holes oversize to allow for adjustment and fitment of the panels to the car, but something to keep in mind.
    As far as the E4 vs E6 and stud topic... I have 4 Sets of SVO sails... Every damn one is E4 go figure. My thought was if studs are placed on after then each car will be able to fit to their own need. What do you think? Better ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by martin0660 View Post

Speaking of hatch frame shipping... I have a hatch frame NOS never installed I plan to use for this project... but it's currently in New Jersey lol That should be a fun one to figure out. Know anyone making a road trip to Washington State? I would chip in for gas of course to guarantee safe delivery.

No Trey,

You are absolutely right... mold price DID come back higher than I estimated, like double, but there is a positive side. They gave me 2 options on finish and the sandable paintable finish is a fair bit cheaper than the "Pretty" version. The underlined prices are official quotes for the 2 jobs. The breakdown prices are my own guess at per set different finish options. Open to input. BTW the mold is good for 100 Sets so yeah there's that too.

Official quote for the first job I am commissioning from them is $1720 for 5 Pairs of SVO Sails. This INCLUDES the cost of the mold at $585 (One mold does a set of left and right) This is for 2 sets sandable paintable finish and 3 Sets "Pretty" finish

My thinking was something like $300 Paintable and 380 "Pretty"

If I did 10 sets it comes down to $2855 ($270 Paintable $295 "Pretty")

Now regardless of if you are considering purchasing what would you say is a fair ratio between the 2 finishes???

As far as the E4 vs E6 and stud topic... I have 4 Sets of SVO sails... Every damn one is E4 go figure. My thought was if studs are placed on after then each car will be able to fit to their own need. What do you think? Better ideas?
    That's unfortunately, but exactly what I was afraid would happen. Still for CF parts the prices are not outrageous IMHO. The question once again is how many will step up to purchase.

In regards to the SVO panels, I would say the E4ZX version is the better one to replicate as they will fit better on most Four Eyes than the E6ZX version will. If the post/studs are being attached after molding, I guess one option would be to allow the end user to glue them, but honestly as a possible end user, I generally don't want to have to do any work like that unless there is a cost reduction to me. It's possible that maybe all posts/studs are installed except the two that are slightly different on the 86 cars and the customer glues those on to ensure the best fitment to their vehicle, but again that may turn off some buyers. Probably best to get input from the crowd here and see what the group says. I have the skills, tools, etc. to do stuff like this, but for others installing the posts/studs may be more of a hassle or challenge so that always needs to be considered.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Speaking of hatch frame shipping... I have a hatch frame NOS never installed I plan to use for this project... but it's currently in New Jersey lol That should be a fun one to figure out. Know anyone making a road trip to Washington State? I would chip in for gas of course to guarantee safe delivery.
    You sound like me with some of my Fox stash in TX and most of the rest in CO!

Unfortunately I am no help in the transport of the rear hatch frame. Although not a cheap option, I will say that the frame itself without the glass is bulky, but not extremely heavy, so with proper packaging it could be shipped if no other options show up.

Shipping via Truck freight or possible Greyhound Bus will be the most cost effective option. If you could get the packaging for a SUV liftgate that would most likely work really well for packaging up the hatch. Just a couple of ideas to maybe help you out, but I completely understand what a PITA it is to ship something like that. Best of Luck with everything!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

You sound like me with some of my Fox stash in TX and most of the rest in CO!

Unfortunately I am no help in the transport of the rear hatch frame. Although not a cheap option, I will say that the frame itself without the glass is bulky, but not extremely heavy, so with proper packaging it could be shipped if no other options show up.

Shipping via Truck freight or possible Greyhound Bus will be the most cost effective option. If you could get the packaging for a SUV liftgate that would most likely work really well for packaging up the hatch. Just a couple of ideas to maybe help you out, but I completely understand what a PITA it is to ship something like that. Best of Luck with everything!
    Yeah I was thinking greyhound also.

Foxaholic

What are you thinking on fenders? Been looking for a set, just in case
    I ever crash................
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast