Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Interested in Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass Repro 79-86 Capri* parts?... Enter here :)

Hey guys,

First off, (Disclaimer) I AM DEAD SERIOUS ABOUT THIS. This is not a prank, a joke, a pipe-dream, etc... I am not here for the feasibility of this undertaking to be flamed upon by nay-sayers. If your primary input resembles "It'll never happen," or anything to that effect, your negativity, pessimism, or if you want to call it logic or realism, does not belong in this thread. I am not claiming there is no place for that viewpoint, but we can start a new thread to criticize what we believe to be the foolish ideas of others if we find there to be enough interest in that activity. Here is not the place.

With the intention of under-promising and over-delivering, I want to gauge interest...

I have a meeting on Monday with a local custom composites fabrication company. We are to discuss reproduction/ duplication of stock parts in Fiberglass and or Carbon Fiber... My primary interest is to fill the gap in aftermarket reproduction parts for our beloved 79-86 Capri's. Specifically but not limited to the parts below...

Stock Style Capri Hood
    Stock Style Capri Fenders
    Stock Style Capri Bumper Covers
    Stock Style Capri Air Dam
    Stock Style Capri Bubble Hatch Frame (and ASC Wing)

I have specifically told them this would be duplication of New Old Stock parts. Ballpark numbers they gave me for production cost were very encouraging. We all know Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass are expensive, but we also know good old stock parts are hard to find and performance ones are non existent...

My questions to you are these...

Are you with me?
    What would you pay?
    Would you consider pre-ordering via a kickstarter type campaign?
    What would it take for you to change any no to the above to a yes?

Discussion (of a positive nature) is encouraged

Lastly, I do have a full time job so if I am slow to respond please be patient... I am not going anywhere
    FML. Lets try this one more time.

I think its great there is a guy on fb that has been doing fenders and hoods in fiberglass. But more available is better for all of us.
    Last edited by STANGMAN116; 12-12-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Have you got any contact info on this guy?

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    Double post
    After looking for a bit I think I found the guy you are talking about... James Varner?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrippler View Post
    Have you got any contact info on this guy?
    Are you on facebook?

Of course price competitive, I would be interested in the ASC rear bubble hatch spoiler for sure. It looks like they can still be bought NOS but they are $400. Obviously the cost to manufacture is a factor I cannot consider but if these were in the $200 to $250 range I think you would sell a ton of them and I would buy one for sure.
    Last edited by foot2floor; 12-13-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    Are you on facebook?
    Yes.

Foxaholic

Interested in seeing what comes of this.....
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Would like fender extensions for 86 Capri and some type of rear spoiler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It sounds like a great idea to me. I personally have considered doing the same on multiple occasions, but work, wife, kids, and life keep getting in the way.

The biggest hurdle I see is the same as it has always been with the Fox Enthusiasts as a whole. Honestly as a group we are cheap!

Not saying that everyone is cheap, but as a group we are a hard crowd to please when it comes to price point and volume of selling. I say that as someone who has been involved in part sales to this group and a member of said group. This is not a knock on your desires or the idea. I am right there with you and applaud your desires. My advice is make sure your costs are accurate and your price point is where you need it for both profitability and volume of selling to make it work, that's all. Best of Luck and keep us updated!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by dtmilsap View Post

Just in case you aren't aware the 84-86 Capri RS front fender extensions are the same as the 79 PC, 80/81 Cobra, and the 82 GT.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    It sounds like a great idea to me. I personally have considered doing the same on multiple occasions, but work, wife, kids, and life keep getting in the way.

The biggest hurdle I see is the same as it has always been with the Fox Enthusiasts as a whole. Honestly as a group we are cheap!

Not saying that everyone is cheap, but as a group we are a hard crowd to please when it comes to price point and volume of selling. I say that as someone who has been involved in part sales to this group and a member of said group. This is not a knock on your desires or the idea. I am right there with you and applaud your desires. My advice is make sure your costs are accurate and your price point is where you need it for both profitability and volume of selling to make it work, that's all. Best of Luck and keep us updated!
    I appreciate the feedback... Thats exactly what this thread is for "To make sure price point is where it needs to be to match demand"

I am assuming you are running a bubble hatch correct?

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    Interested in seeing what comes of this.....
    Interested in participating?

I am assuming you are running a bubble hatch correct?
    Yes

some type of rear spoiler.
    A decent size rear spoiler for bubble hatch would go good, i think.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    Of course price competitive, I would be interested in the ASC rear bubble hatch spoiler for sure. It looks like they can still be bought NOS but they are $400. Obviously the cost to manufacture is a factor I cannot consider but if these were in the $200 to $250 range I think you would sell a ton of them and I would buy one for sure.
    Are you sure about that? If you are talking about from Hank down in Florida, I bought one from him and it was $425 for a fiberglass reproduction not NOS.

Foxaholic

ConMech... I have in my possession one of Hanks fiberglass reproduction ASC wings... The only original stock one I have is badly warped... We shall see what they say
    Last edited by TheCrippler; 12-14-2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Credit

ConMech... I have in my possession one of Hanks fiberglass reproduction ASC wings... The only original stock one I have is badly warped... We shall see what they say
    Interested in detailed pics of the repros.
    conmech - aka Marshall

Interested in detailed pics of the repros.
    What kind of pics would you like? I am about to head to bed, but I have some time this weekend and would be happy to take some for you.

Height measurements, if installed. Kinda would like to see actual appearance on bubble hatch, if possible. Was thinking of 3" - 5" height of rear spokler.
    conmech - aka Marshall

Height measurements, if installed. Kinda would like to see actual appearance on bubble hatch, if possible. Was thinking of 3" - 5" height of rear spokler.
    I don't have a hatch currently with holes drilled and the studs are molded in to the wing, but I will see what I can do. To be clear this is a fiberglass replica of the original ASC style wing. So installed it will look pretty much exactly the same as any of the ASC wing pics on the internet.

Foxaholic

I would love to see pics of spoiler mocked up.

I have a bubble hatch car and I will agree to be an independent tester with fair result representation if we can come to terms that make it worth while to be the first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast