Close

Default MSD Wire Boots Close to Headers... Too Hot?

I have a set of the MSD wires, and the plug ends are straight. I was considering getting a set with 90 or 45 degree elbows, but I think these straight boots should work fine. I am pretty sure the boots are silicon, so they should be fine this close to the headers, right?

Name:  plugwires.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  109.9 KB
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

You should be able to bend those a little. I always use 45’s instead of the straights
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

There are also sleeves to protect the boots from various vendors like these:
    https://www.amazon.com/010542-Titani.../dp/B006MVPIAI
    85 GT - owned since 87

Yea, I have seen the sleeves... I was mostly just hoping to get by with these, since they are brand new, and I figured that the silicon would be safe, but probably just need to bite the bullet and get the 45 degree boots. These came with the car, so I didn't have to spend another $100. Especially for the initial break-in of the engine, my guess is that the headers will get pretty toasty, and they could melt these boots.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

Blog Entries

If you're buying new ones, go 90°. Much cleaner and easier.
    Name:  20161116_193858.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  128.9 KB
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

+1 For using Spark Plug Boot Protector Sleeves. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by stangplus2birds View Post
    +1 for using spark plug boot protector sleeves. :-)
    ...........x2
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.

The MSD boots don't hold up to the heat very well. The sleeves will definitely help, but you need to get those boots away from the headers for sure.

Cale

I went ahead and routed wires so that they are at least 1/4" away from the headers, and I went ahead and got the sleeves as well.