Close

Thread: Interior swap

Default Interior swap

Hey guys I have an 85 TTops I'm looking to restore. I have 0 interior plastics and have stumbled across someone sell a full set of plastics from an 88 TTops car. ARE there any issues I can run into if I purchase them?

I assume you are referring to all the interior parts and pieces that are plastic and not just the T-top specific items.

Yes, you can swap the 87-93 interior into your Fox. There are differences, some more difficult than others, but still essentially a bolt in affair.

The dash mounts to the firewall in a slightly different fashion, but workable. The instrument cluster and most of the dash wiring is completely different than the Four Eye so you will need to address that if doing the swap.

The center console is a bolt in with only needed to swap the brake assembly and drill a couple of holes.

Door panels will work just fine, although the switches and wiring are different. Also some of the door panel clips will be in different locations. As will some of the arm rest hardware.

The quarter panel interior trim will fit, but you will need to trim @ 3/4" off the area that meets up with the quarter windows as the Four Eye glass bolts in from the inside and the aero windows bolt in from the outside. The rest of the hatch trim will bolt in although you may have to drill new holes for many of the pieces.

I think that covers the majority of items. I am sure there is something I have forgotten. Most of the misc trim plastics are interchangeable with little or no issues. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I assume you are referring to all the interior parts and pieces that are plastic and not just the T-top specific items.

Yes, you can swap the 87-93 interior into your Fox. There are differences, some more difficult than others, but still essentially a bolt in affair.

The dash mounts to the firewall in a slightly different fashion, but workable. The instrument cluster and most of the dash wiring is completely different than the Four Eye so you will need to address that if doing the swap.

The center console is a bolt in with only needed to swap the brake assembly and drill a couple of holes.

Door panels will work just fine, although the switches and wiring are different. Also some of the door panel clips will be in different locations. As will some of the arm rest hardware.

The quarter panel interior trim will fit, but you will need to trim @ 3/4" off the area that meets up with the quarter windows as the Four Eye glass bolts in from the inside and the aero windows bolt in from the outside. The rest of the hatch trim will bolt in although you may have to drill new holes for many of the pieces.

I think that covers the majority of items. I am sure there is something I have forgotten. Most of the misc trim plastics are interchangeable with little or no issues. Good Luck!
    Thank you that helps alot

Sure thing!

I understand your situation, so parts availability may make your decision for you, but . . . .

If it were me, I would stay with the Four Eyed dash as it will make your life much easier unless you can get the misc parts needed to do the swap from a parts donor or at a really good price.

The door panels, rear quarter panels, etc. are personal preference. I like the PW/PL switch placement better on the Aero panels than the Four Eyes for a DD type setup, but the panel itself not as much. The aero rear quarter panels have a better speaker placement if that is important to you, but otherwise, not much of a difference. Do keep in mind that the rear hatch carpet is different too for the Aero cars due to the different shape of the interior trim, so factor that in if you already have carpet. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller