Close

Default Tips and tricks for getting an '86 2.3T through California smog

Hey all. Just a couple of months ago I recently picked up a cheap $900 '86 turbo bird and tried to get the smog done. Before I gave it a run I changed oil, plugs, drained fuel and ran fresh stuff, retarded timing to 10*, and checked the tires for proper inflation then gave it a go.

The car failed by a miserable 10 ppm with the carbon in the 15 mph zone.

I took it home and tried to think of what I might have missed. With a free gift card from work I purchased a new MSD coil, 8.5 plug wires, ran the entire tank on GTP, and installed a new O2 sensor. I'm also thinking of going on a colder day to get the fuel to burn hotter.

Everything with the smog system is complete and some parts like the EGR and exhaust system are less then a couple years old. The car does have 340,000+ miles on it so I'm wondering if oil blowby or low compression might be a part of it. One thing I didn't think would be an issue (but who knows it could be) is that the turbo wastegate actuator diaphram is blown so it doesn't open. I'd figure I can fix that later once it's on the road.

Any input guys?

If the wastegate is not working I wouldn't think much would work right. I don't think those old ecu' s "see" enough to be able to compensate for a non working wastegate, so some things sure to be off timing and fuel wise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

FEP Power Member

I don’t know if the waste gate would be a problem. 15 mph is just above an idle. The smog test does give it more time if it is bad and I would think it would recover. Lots of guys like to change injectors so you might want to check you have the right ones.

The 2.3 is sensitive to spark plug type. Fancy ones don’t help. Make sure you have stock Motorcraft plugs and the correct heat range.

Change the cap and rotor?

Also, just to be safe, cap off the vacuum line going to the inside cabin. On the mustang, it can cause a big vacuum leak and rough idle if the hoax c9ntrols are broken.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I know mine takes a long time to warm up and tends to run rich, like with a choke, until it finally gets up to operating temp. Make sure it's warmed up good.

Just got my 20th Anniversary Mustang smogged mid year. Best thing to do is a long drive to ensure all is warmed up. I went about 10 - 15 miles worth a drive. Passed.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.