Close

Default Saleen Mustang body kit

Okay since my 86 GT is not stock, far from it, I have always loved the look of the 86 Saleen body. Thoughts on converting my 86 GT and adding the a body kit? and if anyone has done it or seen it what are the better kits to get? something like this except for the wheels...I don't want to clone it but personalize it to my taste...(any pictures would be cool of your car if you have done it)

Name:  xgts.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  52.9 KB

Thank you,
    Frank

Blog Entries

I believe that you can buy a Saleen kit directly from Saleen.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

I am using the Cervinis Saleen side skirts and rear valance. The quality and fit is good with these items.

The Saleen Four eyes have always been one of my favorite Foxes. They just look so SWEET! IMHO.

Nothing wrong with personalizing your ride and adding the Saleen type parts. No one generally has an issue with it unless someone is trying to sell a Fakeleen as a Real one!

As stated you can buy the Saleen air package directly from Saleen at this time. Not cheap, but not outrageous either IMHO.

The Cervini kit is a nice option also. The front air dam is modeled after the 87-93 (91-93 actually IIRC) so that's not technically correct for the Four Eyed cars, but its a good looking air dam and I like the look. If you go that route you will need the 87-90 option if running stock Four Eyed front fenders.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 12-11-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Kit offered by Saleen is not as high quality as the originals. They are out the, if you look.

Default 86

Thank you guys...I will keep researching and really think about it... I don't want to fake it, just wanting something factory looking yet personal, but keeping with the 80's style...Don't want to change the 86 look just compliment as if something that could have been offered...

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie L View Post
    Thank you guys...I will keep researching and really think about it... I don't want to fake it, just wanting something factory looking yet personal, but keeping with the 80's style...Don't want to change the 86 look just compliment as if something that could have been offered...
    No issues with doing the body kit. I plan on doing the same to several of my Foxes for the reasons already mentioned. As long as you don't have any intentions of trying to pass your's off as a REAL SALEEN no one will have an issue with it. It's your Fox do with it as you please!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank you sir!

DH Buck made urethane side skirts in 85 Saleen profile. I have 2 sets, along with a NOS 86 front. There was, also, a 3 piece DH Buck rear valence that looks similar to the Saleen 89 design. I, also, have an earlier low profile rear that I have never seen on a car. I won’t be using them on my car, if interested, and when ready.

I agree with Trey, as long as you don't try to pass it off as a real Saleen, I have no issues. Just keep it clean and tasteful.

Maybe this is what you were thinking: use the body kit to make it look like a Saleen, but make it just subtly different enough that people do a double-take: "What is different about that Saleen? Or, maybe it isn't a Saleen?" Makes for a good conversation starter when you drop in at the cruise-in at Sonic.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The Saleen Four eyes have always been one of my favorite Foxes. They just look so SWEET! IMHO.

Nothing wrong with personalizing your ride and adding the Saleen type parts. No one generally has an issue with it unless someone is trying to sell a Fakeleen as a Real one!

As stated you can buy the Saleen air package directly from Saleen at this time. Not cheap, but not outrageous either IMHO.

The Cervini kit is a nice option also. The front air dam is modeled after the 87-93 (91-93 actually IIRC) so that's not technically correct for the Four Eyed cars, but its a good looking air dam and I like the look. If you go that route you will need the 87-90 option if running stock Four Eyed front fenders.
    I agree with Trey. I personalized my '84 GT with the Cervini body kit and '86 nose and rear to look the way I wanted it. I have also done some custom touches to it as well. I love the car the way it is. Having said that, I would never pass it off as a Saleen. I consider a real Saleen (4 eyed) to be the car I still want to get some day. When I get one, it will remain all original.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    I agree with Trey, as long as you don't try to pass it off as a real Saleen, I have no issues. Just keep it clean and tasteful.

Maybe this is what you were thinking: use the body kit to make it look like a Saleen, but make it just subtly different enough that people do a double-take: "What is different about that Saleen? Or, maybe it isn't a Saleen?" Makes for a good conversation starter when you drop in at the cruise-in at Sonic.

That is the ticket! Make even a mustang enthusiast say what is that "double take" yet I want to make it classy, clean and not over taking that it's a 4-eyed GT...so I plan to go to as many shows as possible, look at as many sites as possible and the internet to come up with something. I have a few things in mind but only really seen pictures, looking at things in person gives you a better perspective. Thank you all for the comments!