Close

FEP Power Member

Default Aero fox body cladding?

I’m looking at removing the side skirts and fender externions on my 92 for repainting. How difficult is it? I know it’s not easy getting up into the bumper covers? Any new hardware I need to get for reinstallation? Is the quarter trim mounted with nuts on the inside? It’s a vert. GT.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Power Member

Sorry, did a quick look and did not see a place for it. Now I know. Thanks.

The fender extensions are not too bad. Jack up the front so you can get under the covers to see and work. I personally like to remove the wheels for more room. Couple of nuts that connect the extensions to the bumper covers and a couple more to the fender, then a few screws and they are off.

Side skirts are more of a PITA. You will have to remove the wheels to get them off. Also have to jack the car up to get the screws on the bottom of the skirts underside of the car. Remove all the screws on the bottom underside, also all the screws in the wheel well. Then you have to pry the back side lip of the skirt off the metal bracket at the door opening. Then the whole skirt has to be pulled towards the front of the car to slide it off the metal brackets that hold it onto the car. There is a bracket that is at the top of the skirt on the fender and then a long one that runs under the door on the rocker panel. Same basic setup on the short quarter skirt too.

Unfortunately the picture isn't large enough to show the details, but these are the brackets that hold on the side skirts and they are riveted to the body.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-10214-K/87-...ts-Bracket-Kit

Here is the whole kit once removed from the car if that helps at all. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the backside of the skirts to show the lip that hooks into the brackets and how it all goes together. Hope that helps!

Name:  2016-08-22 15.55.40.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  88.7 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

Thanks Trey. That’s pretty much what I expected. The door panel molding, I imagine is glued on with double sided tape so I will leave that on. so hopefully no nuts or bolts need to be removed inside the door, behind the front fenders 8nside the quarter panels. Any tricks on reassembly? I will probably leave the bumper covers in place. I’m just repainting the lower silver color.

Hey - that's not a four eye! Who's mailing a shovel this time?

Lol. just sayin - to four eye pureists here, what you are working on is a parts car.

After all the years of getting told my Four Eyed 86 "isn't a foxbody Mustang" and other stupid BS, ...... it's paybacks.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Thanks Trey. That’s pretty much what I expected. The door panel molding, I imagine is glued on with double sided tape so I will leave that on. so hopefully no nuts or bolts need to be removed inside the door, behind the front fenders 8nside the quarter panels. Any tricks on reassembly? I will probably leave the bumper covers in place. I’m just repainting the lower silver color.
    Door body side moldings are double sided tape only. If your vert is a GT with the lower aero package, then all the rest of the body side moldings are part of the lower aero package and do not come off by themselves. The shorter pieces that match up to the bumpers have plastic studs that go thru the body and are held on my self threading nuts that will need to be removed before you can remove the pieces. this will often require or at least you may seriously want to consider removing the inner front fenders to gain better access to the molding hardware. The rear pieces by the bumper can be accessed by removing the trunk liner pieces and getting to the hardware thru the trunk lid. The side pieces between the wheels are as I described above. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller