I am planning on changing my power steering rack in the next couple of weeks and I’d like a couple of recommendations.

Right now I have an unknown reman steering rack that is awful. It’s been in there way too long so I’m going to replace everything – rack, bushings, both inner and outer tie rod ends and probably the lines – something is currently leaking too.

My current setup is an 85 mustang K member with stock A arms – so, from my research, this is about 1” (0.5” per side) narrower than 88 up mustangs. I bought a stock 2003 Cobra (ZM) rack with OEM tie rods which look to be in great shape and I don’t see why they couldn’t be used if they fit. So;

1. Is there a way to use the 2003 cobra inner tie rod end if I change to a different outer tie rod end? – Would a bump steer kit help this or would it still be too wide?
2. If I can’t use the cobra inner tie rods, and I get a new set of OEM inner tie rods, would it hurt to get an Aftermarket bump steer kit – even if I really don’t need it? (I would be buying a new set of outer tie rods anyway)
3. Should I just re-use the OEM cobra bushings, or should I get a new set while it’s out? What would be a good replacement? – Urethane, solid aluminum, OEM rubber?
4. Does anyone know if I buy new power steering pump to rack hoses, if they come with new rack seals? They look like white plastic washers. And, do the 1985-1993 power steering hoses also fit the 2003 cobra rack or do I need an adapter?

I’m sure there’ll be more question as I go further.

Thanks everyone,
Howard