Close

Question Changing to Cobra Steering Rack -Need Recommendations on Bump Steer & Tie Rod Ends +

I am planning on changing my power steering rack in the next couple of weeks and I’d like a couple of recommendations.

Right now I have an unknown reman steering rack that is awful. It’s been in there way too long so I’m going to replace everything – rack, bushings, both inner and outer tie rod ends and probably the lines – something is currently leaking too.

My current setup is an 85 mustang K member with stock A arms – so, from my research, this is about 1” (0.5” per side) narrower than 88 up mustangs. I bought a stock 2003 Cobra (ZM) rack with OEM tie rods which look to be in great shape and I don’t see why they couldn’t be used if they fit. So;

1. Is there a way to use the 2003 cobra inner tie rod end if I change to a different outer tie rod end? – Would a bump steer kit help this or would it still be too wide?
    2. If I can’t use the cobra inner tie rods, and I get a new set of OEM inner tie rods, would it hurt to get an Aftermarket bump steer kit – even if I really don’t need it? (I would be buying a new set of outer tie rods anyway)
    3. Should I just re-use the OEM cobra bushings, or should I get a new set while it’s out? What would be a good replacement? – Urethane, solid aluminum, OEM rubber?
    4. Does anyone know if I buy new power steering pump to rack hoses, if they come with new rack seals? They look like white plastic washers. And, do the 1985-1993 power steering hoses also fit the 2003 cobra rack or do I need an adapter?

I’m sure there’ll be more question as I go further.

Thanks everyone,
    Howard

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/te...ing_shaft.aspx

I think the answer is toward the bottom there. I'm pretty sure to use SN95 inners you also need to use SN95 control arms. Maybe Jack will chime in.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

FEP Supporter

Good choice. I have done this swap on my '85 as well. I'm plenty happy with the results.

Sorry about not answering in a list. Hopefully this is clear enough where you get what your looking for.

I put new Fox style inners into the Cobra rack and used a MM bumpsteer kit #MMTR-2. I have lowered my car a little bit and had it aligned after I did the install so for me it was no brainer to have the bumpsteer set up "correctly" by a local race shop at the same time. It was a little more than I wanted to spend but it goes down the road real good so I think it was dollars well spent. If I have to do it again on another car I might consider picking up the tools to set it up myself.

When I did the swap, I installed new urethane rack bushings that I picked up locally. I like the feel and see no reason to switch to something else. Solid I'm sure would be fine if you didn't mind a little more noise and vibration. Be aware, 1985 Mustangs had 2 different style bushings used throughout the production run so check out which ones you have and replace as desired/needed.

You will need to change the steering shaft or at the bare minimum find a way to deal with the rag joint/coupler deal. Easiest way and worth the price of admission again, is to pick up the Maximum Motorsports #MMST-13 steering shaft. Fits like a glove and the install instructions are spot on. They also have the teflon o-rings part #Service-9. You can get them locally too at Advance or whatever store in the HELP section.

Hi Pressure Hose to Rack (Teflon, small)
    Ford #388897-S
    Help/Dorman #82540 (Kit, both sizes)

Lo Pressure Hose to Rack (Teflon, large)
    Ford #388898-S
    Help/Dorman #82540 (Kit, both sizes)

Hopefully that helps.
    '85 GT

Thanks for the replies guys. I forgot to mention that I did already purchase the Maximum Motorsports steering shaft for SN95 racks in a fox body. I have yet to paint it however - (I'm kind of surprised for how expensive they are, they could have thrown a coat of paint on).

Thanks NY5speed for the link to the maximum website that describes that the SN95 inner tie rods will be too long. I'll have to get some new replacements. I'm leaning towards buying an OEM Ford part but there's several on Ebay with different part numbers but all say they fit a 79-93 mustang. I'll have to do some more checking.

Thanks qikgts for the part numbers and reminding me that I have to look at which installation I have. My car's an 85, but I remember something about an 84 build date.
    Last edited by twinturbohow; 12-08-2017 at 10:01 PM.

FEP Supporter

Good luck with the swap! I'm sure it will go fine!
    '85 GT