Close

Default Which oilpan gasket

Dart.block, ford racing oilpan; Which gasket should I use? The ford racing steel reinforced one or the Felpro 1 piece rubber. What about the use of the oil pan reinforcement rails, anyone use those? Should i
    use the factory torque specs? I've got the k-member out and want to get this right. Thanks for any help.

I know the 82 up cars can use the explorer 1 price setup, likely the same as the felpro rubber gasket.

I used the 1 peice felpro and I liked it a bunch. If I remember right, it only takes 12ft lbs to tighten down the oil pan bolts, I might be off on that, but it really isnt all the tight.

What I do with my oil pan (and valve covers) is clean everything up the best I can, and make make sure everything is straight. If domeone over torqued it, it will warp the oil pan. I lay mine down flat on a board or 2 by 4 and tap around the edges until everything is flush.

The last 1 price I used didn't leak at all, with no rtv or anything added. Just clean with rubber.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I prefer the FRPP over the Felpro, but nothing against the Felpro.

Stock pan? I'd use the rails regardless.

Stock torque, recheck after a few heat cycles.. Recheck again after a few more. Will likely need to be torqued a few times in the process.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

It's not a stock pan. It's a ford racing pan(has two drain plugs and squared corners). What happened was many of the nuts loosened up and I tightened them back up and it was no better. I am also running studs. I'm going with the FRPP, I think it will be easier to work with upside down. I Also was going to loctite them but if they need to be retorqued that may not work. I will also use the rails and make sure it is flat and sits right. Thanks for the recommendations.

I piece pan gaskets are only for stock pans. They will leak on any aftermarket pan. Use a 4 piece gasket.

^ Not necessarily, depends on the pan

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...&category=8801
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Oh great. Now I'm confused.

Which pan (maker)? Happen to know the part number?

FWIW, I've used the FRPP and Felpro one piece gaskets with Canton and Moroso pans with no issues.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

If the pan mating surfaces meet up with the gasket and the block, its gonna work. its rubber or paper and cork sandwiched between metal.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

My sentiments exactly..
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I personally like the one piece gasket with the metal shims to prevent over tightening. I have used both Felpro and FRRP with no issues.

I personally use the reinforcement rails on all my SBF when possible. One of my Canton pans is an OEM pan that has been modified so the rails fit just fine.

I also use blue Loctite on my oil pan bolts when installing and make sure I follow the torque sequence and specs during install. Seems to work pretty well for me. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

This is my pan. I believe if I would of loctite the nuts from the beginning it never would of leaked. Wraith, do you have a link for the torque sequence? I've found the torque specs but not sequence.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    ^ Not necessarily, depends on the pan

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...&category=8801
    This may be true. I have not had luck with a one piece on canton, morose or summit pans. Most aftermarket pans have sharp corners where the side rales meet the front and rear mains. This is where the one piece leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
    This is my pan. I believe if I would of loctite the nuts from the beginning it never would of leaked. Wraith, do you have a link for the torque sequence? I've found the torque specs but not sequence.
    I don't have anything on hand to show. What I remember from a service manual or some other engine builder book was to start at the center bolts and work outwards working the matching bolts on either side. So Center Driver, Center Passenger, Front of Center Driver, Front of Center Passenger, Rear of Center Driver, Rear of Center Passenger, etc. until you get to either end. I forget the torque specs, but I usually divide the final torque spec into three separate settings so something like 10 ft-lbs, 20 ft-lbs, 25 ft-lbs. or whatever the final torque setting is. Hope that helps.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller