Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exhaust manifold (carbed turbo)

Hi everybody,

my exhaust manifold has been welded twice already and now I suspect it to be cracked again, therefore I wanted to install a new (used) one.
    I found two manifolds on ebay that look exactly like the one that I have. Mine has the partnumber D8EEBB stamped into the manifold.
    One that I found has the part number D8EE-BB stamped into. But I assume that little difference (-) is just a different way of writing the same part number.... However I found also another one that is cheaper and appears to be in better condition but that manifold has the part number D42E-AH. They look all the same but I am not sure whether they have some important differences...
    Does anybody know the differences and can help me decide which one I should buy?

Thanks a lot!

D42 = originally engineered for 1974 Pinto (2 = Pinto 1972-75)
    D8E = originally engineered for 1978 Pinto (E = Pinto 1976-80)
    * Source: http://www.fordification.com/tech/pa...s_overview.htm

The D8EE-BB part could have superseded the D42E-AH part?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Every carbed turbo motor I have ever owned had a cracked exhaust manifold in the same place. I'm in the middle of restoring the engine on my 79 indy with 36k miles on it and that one is cracked too. I'm probably just going to weld it for the time being. I don't know if it was the fuel mixture or something to do with the turbo or what but every one I've ever owned was cracked.

I'm planning on getting an aftermarket 2.3 header and modifying the exhaust to work with it.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Revised 1978, one size fits all standard. The downstream air drillings changed 1978 model year

Where does it crack?

This is Carb turbo 1979 Fox Mustang 2.3 liter

The later D8EEBB casting

D4

That one is cracked too in the first picture. You can see it from that plug right above the collector to the #2 exhaust tube. That is where they all crack.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

I think that plug has something to do with it because it starts there and always goes halfway up the #2 exhaust tube. Maybe if you get one of the earlier manifolds without that plug....

The crack is always absolutely identical on every one I have owned and it is in that picture too.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Thanks everybody for clearing things up. And yes mine cracked at the exact same spot as well.
    Ok because I can go apparently with either one of these two manifolds and they should fit without a problem I will go with the earlier one D42E-AH because it appears to be in better condition.
    I hope that it will last some miles before cracking...

Factory tubing and aftermarket headers exist for these

1985 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    So the battery is where the washer fluid bottle should be.

Here are some shots of mine as of today. I'm still in the process of eliminating my heat as I only drive this one in good weather.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header.

1979 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuty455 View Post
    Header again :

All these OHC engines, Pinto, Lima, they run much smoother and seam to be carefree with the factory header.

My Taunus based Pinto 2000 engines loved the factory Cortina 2V 1600 tubing header.

I would love to switch to headers but than I will have to get the crossover pipe redone because the headers are longer than the manifold... Or is there a header that bolts right up to the factory crossover pipe?

Gesendet von meinem S30 mit Tapatalk

No headers will bolt up to the crossover pipe. It would have to be modified although it doesn't look like it would be too much work to do. It almost looks like you just have to cut the pipe back a bit and re-weld the flange.

My engine is out of the car right now and I'm almost to the point where I can mock up the exhaust.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Oh OK. Yeah that's what I thought. I will now go with a manifold again because I do not have the equipment to change the crossover pipe myself and hope that it lasts but if it cracks again I will get someone to redo it for me...
    Thanks again for all the great help...

FEP Power Member

While headers sound like a great choice, most seem to have the flange down pretty low to connect to the exhaust. The cast iron manifolds seem to have the connection up much higher. I recall seeing a number of new cast iron manifolds on eBay and such a while back for the 90s Ranger. They may be worth considering as a crack free option. No idea on performance.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Alternative new Dorman cast iron manifold may work.
    But the pipe connection is further back like the ss tube header:
    https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-28692-674-230.aspx

Cast and header style manifolds to pipe connection to the down pipe are different.
    One design is much more forward around #2 plug. Others are back by #4.

Vaguely recall taking off heat shields off the crossover area near the oil pan in the 80's.
    Was getting a harmonic metallic 'buzz' noise at certain rpm. Was loose cat shield.
    Need to reinstall shields, if i can find them, or fab new to deflect heat away from oil pan.
    Or wrap the crossover with header tape.

The Ranger 4 into 1 tube header will bolt onto the head. Did that mod back in 1997.
    My iron one was cracked too. Main reasons for replacing it were looks and weight.
    The header is quite a bit lighter. Looks added 10 hp.

Header has bung for Ranger's EGR tube.. If not using, a 2.3 drain plug fits.
    May be a good spot for narrow/wide band A/F sensor?

Although SS, the header does not stay silver without repaints or some type of coating.
    Although used ones are very reasonable priced, have to add cost of mods to total.

Custom work is needed on crossover. Figure 50.00+, depending on material choice and labor rate.
    A good muffler shop can custom bend one and do the manifold flange.
    The stock crossover can be cut at the center straight section.
    Cut off the manifold half. Leave the turbo half intact
    Be cautious if cutting the stock one and welding a new section.
    Any weld slag can be sucked up into the turbine and ruin it pronto.
    Use SS wide band exh clamp or fab a whole new pipe and stow the stock pipe.

The Dorman cast manifold looks to have provision for EGR.
    Ranger tube headers provide EGR from a bung.
    Header flange does not work with, nor cover, 79 EGR holes in each cyl exh port.
    Flange plate bottom is shorter, meaning four tiny exhaust leaks without mods.
    This pic shows position of four EGR port holes, directly below the larger tube holes, on the gasket:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...iABEgJKlvD_BwE

EGR holes in the exhaust ports can be filled in with high heat putty. Same putty that fixes cracked manifolds.
    SS or similar thin shims can be used over the holes under the manifold gasket to keep the filler from blowing out.
    A second wider 2.3 header flange plate may work too, between head and header, to block off the EGR holes.
    All use the stock manifold gasket. One version has no EGR holes punched in it.
    Last edited by gr79; 12-07-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Funny you should mention that. I had an '80 and they started putting converters on the crossover pipe and the converter guts came apart and trashed the turbo. These engines really weren't the best design.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    Funny you should mention that. I had an '80 and they started putting converters on the crossover pipe and the converter guts came apart and trashed the turbo. These engines really weren't the best design.
    From m81mclaren's M81 McLaren

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...5-years!/page7

Oh dearo dearie dearie dearie me. That's just an awful design if the primary cataylst bricks out. Starting 50th stat California 79 Mustang, and then All 1980 and 1981 got the primary catalyst, including the Candian Cobra Turbos.

I wonder if'n he knows to check status of the added 3 way cat?

Thanks gregpro50

PS, doesn't No 2 branch at the sun date code look cracked like the first 79 Mustang Carb turbo picture?

Picture of the crack on mine. I think I'm going to go the header route.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post

PS, doesn't No 2 branch at the sun date code look cracked like the first 79 Mustang Carb turbo picture?
    I do believe it does when I zoom in on it. I've never seen one that wasn't cracked.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    I do believe it does when I zoom in on it. I've never seen one that wasn't cracked.
    Me too. I see a top to bottom split in the date casting sun in picture two. They split assunder desipte the rusticated buttresses. The drilled and tapped downstream air hole lookes like the culprit, adding the block off fitting was a bad step for the expansion between iron and steel differs, but mostly, the hole is a BSP taper so it adds stress to the manifold.

I was designing my turbo instillations around the old 3.3 Foot Ball converter, with its replacement converter reputed to be good, but if it ever dislodges the substate, it'll luanch it and take out the turbo.

This is why Ford had so many problems on feedback version of the 2.3 turbo carb...everything has added difficulties.

HELP!!!
    I used the Christmas Days to install the new manifold and everything went great.
    However I have quite a big exhaust leak between the manifold and the crossover pipe. I know that there doesn't belong a gasket or anything but is there an easy way to seal that better? Because I cannot get the parts to seal properly. The "cup" of the crossover pipe that goes over the end of the manifold has been welded before which properly doesn't help either... I know there are gasket makers that can also be used on manifolds but they all say that you should not use them pre turbo because pieces could break off and ruin the turbo...
    Did anyone have the same problem and/or knows a fix?
    Thank you very much everybody. And Merry Christmas!

Goodness. So sorry you are having these issues and I seriously....SERIOUSLY respect you for keeping yours going. Those were known to have issues even when new and many decades down the road you are still at it! Much respect to you sir. I don't have an answer but it seems like one could cut the "cup" off another pipe and weld it on another but I understand that the angle would have to be fairly close to OEM and such. Not sure what else you could do.

Thank you. Yeah I have sometimes the feeling the car is cursed but I still love it
    I know I could have the crossover pipe redone but I did not want to go that way (yet)...
    I now used a donut gasket of a BMW I think and after some massaging with a hammer it fit quite good and appears to seal great. I will now have to see how it lasts but I am quite confident that it will work. I know it is not the right way but it is cheap and works...

Default not so cheapo exhaust spare part...

you will get a used crossover pipe over here near Zurich. It's quite expensive for 2600 swissies but at this price there is a whole car attached to it as well ;-)

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/ford...p%3d10%26r%3d5

Btw: check out the "Europe" thread, we should definitively meet this summer somewhere between Köln and Bodensee!
    Addendum: car has been sold, here are some pics (see my album for more):
    Name:  front.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  250.7 KB
    Name:  front rechts.jpg
Size:  243.1 KB
    Name:  heck rechts.jpg
Size:  237.9 KB
    Name:  interieur 1.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  215.8 KB
    Last edited by stickshift; 05-10-2018 at 08:06 AM.
    '79 Ghia 5.0 notch, '94 C4 6-sp vert (sold), '95 Cobra coupe w/Vortech SC (sold), '88 GT 5-sp vert (sold), '86 GT 5-sp vert (sold)

nickname: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCFM5rUfuI

Quote Originally Posted by stickshift View Post
    you will get a used crossover pipe over here near Zurich. It's quite expensive for 2600 swissies but at this price there is a whole car attached to it as well ;-)

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/ford...p%3d10%26r%3d5

Btw: check out the "Europe" thread, we should definitively meet this summer somewhere between Köln and Bodensee!
    Can I come too? It's a dream of mine to visit Switzerland one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    From m81mclaren's M81 McLaren

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...5-years!/page7

Oh dearo dearie dearie dearie me. That's just an awful design if the primary cataylst bricks out. Starting 50th stat California 79 Mustang, and then All 1980 and 1981 got the primary catalyst, including the Candian Cobra Turbos.

I wonder if'n he knows to check status of the added 3 way cat?

That might explain a couple of huge things about my M81: 1) why my primary CAT was empty when I took it off and why the turbo had been replaced with new right before I bought the car so many years ago!
    M81
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by endub View Post
    Can I come too? It's a dream of mine to visit Switzerland one day.
    Nice! Sure :-) ...just pm me whenever you'll have conrete plans
    '79 Ghia 5.0 notch, '94 C4 6-sp vert (sold), '95 Cobra coupe w/Vortech SC (sold), '88 GT 5-sp vert (sold), '86 GT 5-sp vert (sold)

nickname: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCFM5rUfuI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast