Close

Thread: Check It Out!

Default Check It Out!

My daughter hit a milestone yesterday when her "Daily Driver" 2001 Chevrolet Crew Cab 1500HD 6.0 litre truck rolled 350,000 miles on the ORIGINAL LS ENGINE that has never been opened up. Just water pump, PS pump, alternator and the usual hang-on's that wear out over time.

Ya it still rattles a little when you start it in the morning however I also rattle a little in the morning. We have always run the synthetic oil change special at the parts store and change every 5K miles. Last oil change the truck only used 3/4 of 1 quart of oil in 5K miles.

Not bad for 350,000 miles!!!!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Impressive! I just turned 150k on my 98 Tahoe (350 Vortec) and thought that was pretty good for all original haha.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

Congrats! That's an impressive milestone! Had a 2001 expedition (4.6/2wd) that had over 300k when we got rid of it, and that motor tranny is still going in a 73 f100 completely untouched!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Those 6.0 motors were good. I have several work trucks that made it over 300k with those before we got rid of them and they still ran good. All of them had random misfire codes we could never figure out.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

350k is pretty darn good for an LS . My '00 Tahoe vortec 5.7 threw a rod thru the oil pan @140k

Always love to hear about motors that just keep turning!

Good luck surpassing my 86 GT. It's past 455K miles on conventional oil ever 3000 and teflon ever 30K miles.

Absolutely countless miles were 1/4 mile at a time...... lol

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    Those 6.0 motors were good. I have several work trucks that made it over 300k with those before we got rid of them and they still ran good.
    Love hearing stories like this as it means my '03 Yukon with the 6.0 and 110k is barely broke in.

All of them had random misfire codes we could never figure out.
    Funny you should mention that. If I just drive around town a lot the CEL clears but as soon as I hit the interstate for some higher speed cruising it starts flashing indicating a random misfire. I fixed the problem with a piece of black electrical tape. Out of sight, out of mind.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Always love to hear about motors that just keep turning!

Good luck surpassing my 86 GT. It's past 455K miles on conventional oil ever 3000 and teflon ever 30K miles.

Absolutely countless miles were 1/4 mile at a time...... lol
    You have another 95,000 miles to go to match the mileage on Kendal Coker's daily driver Ford Ranger. Last report from Kendal was he had passed 550,000 miles on a truck he bought brand new and still drives to work everyday!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 12-06-2017 at 08:07 AM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    Those 6.0 motors were good. I have several work trucks that made it over 300k with those before we got rid of them and they still ran good. All of them had random misfire codes we could never figure out.
    My '99 Escalade (Vortec 350) had about 200k on it when I got rid of it and same deal... random misfire codes which would clear themselves, ran great, never figured it out.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

I’ve seen a few 6.0’s get rust on the crank sensor/ block/ bracket. Gets built up and pushes the crank sensor out of block and away from the relictor just enough to get a poor reading. Caused random misfire codes but no misfire.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

I found the best way to clear the random misfire codes is to go through a crank re-learn procedure on them with a scanner that has that ability. For some reason that seems to work. I don't know why but it does. Most trucks I did this to never had it come back.

I only had one truck that had that misfire code that was an actual misfire condition. I know this because it liked to melt the converters. It turned out to be wires somewhere in the harness that were chewed by mice.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport