Close

Default New Member from Gadsden AL

I've wanted a four eye for years. Finally got my hands on an 83 hatch. Looking for information on it and maybe give some help to people Who are new to working on their own cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Welcome to FEP

FEP Power Member

Welcome from North Alabama.
    Kendal

Where would I look for info finding out what it Is? I'm not sure if it's gt, lx, or one of the other submodels available that year. I'm having trouble with vin decoders being it's an 83

Welcome to FEP.....

Buck tag will have that info. Or post the vin in the decoder section and the great foxchassis will decode for you.

There was no LX in 1983. First year for that model was 1984. In 1983 there was L, GL, GLX, GT, and Turbo GT.

No VIN decoder is going to tell you which model it is unless there is a code OR combination of codes in the VIN that is/are unique to a specific model. Regarding 1983 VINs, there were only two examples of unique codes or code combinations...
    1. W = turbocharged EFI 2.3L engine = Turbo GT
    2. P27 + 3 = 2-door convertible (P27), 3.8L V6 engine (3) = GLX convertible

A VIN decoder for this site is here: Four Eyed Pride VIN Decoder

If the hood scoop is original it's a GT. Buck tag will confirm. Door tag may or may not confirm, it depends on the production date. But if a bunch of stuff is not original to the car (e.g. hood scoop was added) we're going to need to see the VIN, the door tag, and the buck tag.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 12-04-2017 at 11:57 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    There was no LX in 1983. First year for that model was 1984. In 1983 there was L, GL, GLX, GT, and Turbo GT.

No VIN decoder is going to tell you which model it is unless there is a code OR combination of codes in the VIN that is/are unique to a specific model. Regarding 1983 VINs, there were only two examples of unique code combinations...

1. W = turbocharged EFI 2.3L engine = Turbo GT
    2. P27 + 3 = 2-door convertible (P27), 3.8L V6 engine (3) = GLX convertible

A VIN decoder for this site is here: http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...de-VIN-Decoder
    Welp there ya go.... lol..

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. I've tried a few different vin decoders and havent had any luck yet. Now I see why. I have no idea what's original to the car. It's been heavily tampered with to say the least. I remember reading somewhere that GT and GLX had electric gas doors, which mine does not. It has gray Recaros with halos up front. But isn't that supposed to be 85-6? I'll hunt for the buck tag and door tag when I get home. The car has been tapped in the front so I wouldn't be shocked if the buck tag is missing.

Off topic but it's weird being on a fourm again. It feels out of place on my cell phone for sure. Do any of you use tapatalk? If so, do you like it?

Found the tags. Guessing this means it's a GT?
    Name:  20171204_223249.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  119.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Peaches; 12-04-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Yes, it is a GT. Buck tag confirms it. It is also a late enough production date that the door tag confirms it as well (1983 only: A/C code "1" through "6" = GT).

Remote fuel door release was part of the Light/Convenience Group option starting in 1984 but I cannot find it anywhere in the 1983 documents so I'm not even sure it was available in the 1983 model year. Anyone here have the remote fuel door release on their 1983 model?

The original seats in your GT were "Sport Performance" made by Lear Seigler. Those seats had 'halo' headest with netting. Your original interior color was black and the Sport seats would have had a grey center section on the upper and lower halves of the front and rear seats. Recaro did not make seats for Foxes after 1982. Sport seats were made by Lear Seigler after 1982.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 12-05-2017 at 09:02 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

VIN
    1FA = Ford vehicle manufactured in USA by Ford Motor Company
    B = active belts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    28 = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    F = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    3 = VIN check digit
    D = 1983 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    205281 = 105,281st 1983 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

Door Tag
    Date - 05/83 = May 1983 scheduled build
    GVWR - 3950 lb/1791 kg = gross vehicle weight rating
    Front GAWR - 2125 lb/963 kg = front gross axle weight rating
    Rear GAWR - 1926 lb/873 kg = rear gross axle weight rating
    F0092 = 92 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0088 = 88 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 1C = Black
    DSO - 22 = Charlotte district sales office
    Body - 61B = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    Int Trim - HA = cloth Sport Performance seating (H), Black interior trim color (A)
    A/C - 1 = Silver "GT" decal on hood, fenders, hatch/trunk
    R - 7 = AM/FM stereo radio with cassette tape player
    S - [blank] = no sunroof, no T-roof
    Ax - Z = 3.08:1, Traction-Lok differential
    Tr - 2 = manual Borg Warner transmission (5-speed T-5)
    HH = front springs
    HH = rear springs

Buck Tag
    MUSTANG = Mustang model line
    205281 = 105,281st 1983 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    61B = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    F = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    0323 = body & paint rotations #0323
    1CC = Black exterior paint color
    DF
    ST
    AC = manual air conditioner
    04 = YES rear defrost, YES rear wing
    HB = heated backlite (rear defrost)
    GT = GT model/trim level
    BR = black rocker panel
    MBW = manual Borg Warner transmission (5-speed T-5)
    03 = rear-facing non-functional hood scoop
    V = visibility (light group)
    -A = Black interior trim color
    NLR
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Thanks for the information. I appreciate that a ton. I always thought the 4 eye gt cars had recaros. I'll post pictures of the seats when I get a minute. They're gray with red piping. But the rears don't match? I haven't decided the complete direction of the car yet. But it will be efi and handle better than it does now.

The front seats are probably from 1985-86 GT. Pics would help to ID.

The only four-eyed GTs that had "Sport" seats as standard equipment were the 1984 G.T.350 and the 1985-86 GT. They were optional in all other 1983-84 GTs.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 12-12-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Remote fuel door release was part of the Light/Convenience Group option starting in 1984 but I cannot find it anywhere in the 1983 documents so I'm not even sure it was available in the 1983 model year.
    Not listed in options for 1983 http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/b...age=11&scan=11

Is listed as an option in L model, standard in all others in 1984: http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/b...age=11&scan=11
    1985 GT owned since new

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
    I've wanted a four eye for years. Finally got my hands on an 83 hatch. Looking for information on it and maybe give some help to people Who are new to working on their own cars.

hey neighbor...Gadsden stranger here...hit me up in PM... where did you find that Gt
    Stephen Johnson
    SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
    National Record Holder 9.49 @ 139mph
    1985 Mustang daily driver
    10.88mph 125mph N/A 337

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches View Post

hey neighbor...Gadsden stanger here...hit me up in PM... where did you find that Gt
    Stephen Johnson
    SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
    National Record Holder 9.49 @ 139mph
    1985 Mustang daily driver
    10.88mph 125mph N/A 337