Close

Default 1985 GT wiring gremlin

I recently purchased an 85 Mustang GT T-Top and it has some wiring gremlins I'm hoping that someone else has run into.

Neither the power windows, power locks, cruise control, or the radio work. And to be slightly more accurate, the Factory AM/FM Cassette Radio DOES light up and seems to be getting stations based upon the yellow tune light coming on depending upon finding a station but no sound comes out (not sure how to tell if their is AMP under the dash and if it has power).

I found that the circuit breakers for the power windows and power locks seem to have power at the panel with the key on but not at the switches in the doors. I did download the wiring diagrams off the sticky and see the circuits involved but don't know where they physically are routed through a common spot which might be compromised.

I ran a jumper wire to both of the pink wires on the power window switch and the drivers window will move but the passenger window doesn't. The power locks work fine also when I run power to the black/white wire on the back of the switch. No clue how to

Where I'm confused is what do these three things have in common?

I'm thinking you might have a bad switch or two on the door. I installed new actuators and they still don't work right. Where did you run the jumper wires from?
    The factory amp is in the dash above the radio iirc.

1986 GT T Top- stock except for magnaflow cat back
    1990 LX vert- 500hp V3 and all that stuff
    2013 GT- usual bolt ons

In any discussion involving power windows, we need to know whether or not the car is a convertible.
    The power window system in the convertibles is very different from the system in a notch or hatchback,
    even beyond accounting for the two extra windows.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Where did you run the jumper wires from?
    . The back pins on the window switches directly. They don't have issue till I push the up or down direction.

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    In any discussion involving power windows, we need to know whether or not the car is a convertible.
    The power window system in the convertibles is very different from the system in a notch or hatchback,
    even beyond accounting for the two extra windows.
    t top car

I reviewed this already.... I know the circuits, just not the physical locations they might have in common

Gotta love old wiring.
    May be time to break out the test light and ohmmeter-voltmeter/multimeter.

Have had odd electrical events happen too.
    Like wipers turning on with headlights, wiper switch off.
    Bad ground, wire eyelet at the rad support. Must have been broken internally.
    How it has anything in common with the wipers is a mystery to me.
    Replacing eylet connector fixed the gremlin.
    Same thing with outside light sockets. Grounds. Broken internal socket connections.
    Outside looked fine. Sometimes a wire wiggle test will find these.
    They get power. Test light grounds the circuit via test light jumper wire.

Wiring has similarities to basic plumbing. Water supply, pipes, drain connection, complete a circuit.
    Electric supply, wiring, ground connections complete an electrical circuit.
    Leaks/shorts, valves/switches, regulators/fuses.
    Pipes/wires properly sized for required capacity.

A ground point should not have any voltage.
    A door may have ground points, but is the door grounded?
    Ground path has to eventually go back to the battery.