Close

Default Need rebuild parts for 79 turbo

I'm rebuilding the turbo on my 79 carb engine. Most of the parts from a standard T3 rebuild kit work but the thrust bearing is different. I need that bearing and the seal that goes in the compressor housing. Anyone know where to look or have a part number?
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

T3 thrust bearing in the right. The two loose pieces in the center are the bearing and the seal that presses in the housing on the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

From my research this is a TBO302 turbo which is an oddball version of a t3. If I can find a backplate from a tb03 turbo then I can use the newer bearing.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

OK. I figured it out. What I have is the carbon seal setup which is a must for a draw through turbo. The thrust bearing I got with the kit is for a blow through design. If I converted it to that and used the dynamic seal instead of the carbon seal I would burn oil like crazy. I finally found a supplier that has the carbon seals. I am now an expert on rebuilding these draw through turbos....
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Default Can you supply the seal info.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    OK. I figured it out. What I have is the carbon seal setup which is a must for a draw through turbo. The thrust bearing I got with the kit is for a blow through design. If I converted it to that and used the dynamic seal instead of the carbon seal I would burn oil like crazy. I finally found a supplier that has the carbon seals. I am now an expert on rebuilding these draw through turbos....
    Also have a 1979 work in progress 2.3 turbo, can you post where you found seal? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stas427 View Post
    Also have a 1979 work in progress 2.3 turbo, can you post where you found seal? Thanks.
    Here you go. The only source I've found that has parts to rebuild these turbos.

http://gpopshop.com/products-pagegar...3-t4-t3t4-kit/
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

I hope you saved your rubber o rings to mount that turbo back on the intake manifold. Felpro discontinued their mountin set last year.

Quote Originally Posted by pacecartodd View Post
    I hope you saved your rubber o rings to mount that turbo back on the intake manifold. Felpro discontinued their mountin set last year.
    They came in the engine gasket kit from Sealed Power.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Quote Originally Posted by pacecartodd View Post
    Does anyone have the measurements of these seals? I will see if I saved my originals when I replaced them during the engine rebuild, but am not certain that I did. Perhaps with measurements, they could be matched up? Wondering if these are are available anywhere else.
    Mike Rausch

1979 Capri 2.3
    1980 Capri Turbo RS
    1980 Capri 2.3
    1980 Mustang 2.3

I took measurements and posted in my “start” thread post 246 about 2 months ago if it helps.
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 09-26-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

Sorry mobile double-post!
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0