Close

euphoria

Default how many 1979 King Cobra Mustangs with VIN 9F03F116163

By the VIN that we have on our car, do we have a true King Cobra Mustang?

FEP Power Member

Your VIN decodes as follows:

9 = 1979
    F = Dearborn, MI, assembly plant
    03 = 3 door hatchback
    F = 5.0L 2-bbl
    116163 = the consecutive unit number

From what i've read so far the only special car you could tell apart in 79 is the pace car. It will start with 48 as the first two digits in the consecutive unit number. You should be able to figure out if it is a cobra by decoding the body tag, but not the vehicle VIN number.
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

FEP Power Member

Also, they were not called King Cobra's in 79, they were just "cobra".
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

It could be a Cobra since that model was only available on a three-door hatchback, which is what the 03 in the VIN means. It's not a King Cobra though as those were only available in '78.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

RedFox82

Thing with the 79 Cobra, was it wasn't an available model, rather an option package. The 79 Cobra, though considered a Cobra, was just a regular base HB.

RedFox82

I just found this in a book

"...the Mustang Cobra for ’79. Available with either the 2.3L OHC Turbo four or a 5.0L V-8, the Cobra was equipped with TRX wheels and Michelin metric radials, performance suspension, front disc brakes with semi-metallic linings, color-keyed quarter-window trim, Cobra decals, nonfunctional hood scoop, engine-turned dashboard appointments and full instrumentation, three-spoke Sport steering wheel, and more."

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Cool! Another Cobra owner. I've got one as well. There were 17,579 of them made and it was the top performance model offered. Kind of a pre-GT model and disappeared after 1981 with the debut of the '82 GT.

All cobras for 1979 did not have the front airdam/foglight assembly, full length cowl hood scoop, or rear spoiler. Those appeared on the '79 Pace Cars, and 1980-1981 Cobras. The air dam and rear spoiler were also used on the 1982 GT, but with the '79 Cobra smaller hood scoop. Also, 1979 was the only year for the 302 V-8, as it was reduced in size to 255 C.I. for 1980-1981.

Check your "Buck Tag" to see if you have a real Cobra. It is mounted on the front radiator support and should have a CBR on it. Other things to look for include door decals that say "COBRA" and possibly a hood decal with twin stripes running the length of the hoodscoop (hood decals were optional). Inside, there should be a cobra emblem on each door, and one on the lower right side of the dash bezel. Engine turned dash bezels were unique to Cobras and Pace Cars only. Everything else I won't cover because Darcy beat me to the punch! Thanks Darcy!

EDITED on 7/4/16 by Hissing Cobra to reflect the actual production numbers of the '79 Cobras were 17,579 instead of the previously stated 7,000. This information has since been made available via Marti Autoworks on their Marti Reports.
    Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 07-04-2016 at 08:37 PM.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

RedFox82

:P

FEP Power Member

"There were less than 7,000 of them made and it was the top performance model offered."

Not to start an arguement but I was under the impression that the pace car was the top of the line in 79. Also where did you find the production numbers for how many cobras were made in 79? I have a few books that all say the same thing. They really don't know how many were produced because it was an option, not really a "true" cobra package. Supposedly the only thing different from a cobra and a regular hatch back equipped with the TRX suspension package was just the decals, and minor interior mods. By they way if it sounds like i'm knocking the car that isn't the case. I really like these cars. Just wanted to get some strait info for my own personal uses. By the way would you think $3000 is too much to pay for an all original 2.3l T 79 cobra. It has perfect interior, (with the checkered recaros), and a very nice body. Never been hit, original paint and I believe less than 80,000mi. It is yellow with the orange cobra decals but no decal on the hood. I have also heard that the yellow cobras were a bit harder to come by. Not sure if that is true either. I have found that info for the cobras is pretty scarce.
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

No argument at all. I got my information from a number of sources. The Pace Car was a mid year option, and was produced in limited numbers. It shared the same powertrain/suspension as the Cobras. I guess you could say that it was the top of the line model. However, if you look back to the dealership issued 1979 Mustang Sales Brochure, you'll find that they didn't even offer the Pace Car, thus, the Cobra was the top model until the middle of the production run.

I got my information on the 7,000 units produced from a hardcover book entitled "Ultimate Mustang", which is currently on sale through any borders book store.

Basically your right about the the decals and minor changes distinguishing the Cobra models from the regular hatchback models with the TRX suspension.

Three thousand dollars sounds reasonable for that Cobra that you listed (if everything checks out). I would check into the Recaro's though. If I'm not mistaken, they debuted in the Pace Car and were carried on into the '80-'81 Cobras and some of the '82 GT's (standard issue for Pace Car, and optional on the other models) . For what it's worth, I paid $1,500.00 for mine three years ago. It had original paint/decals, black interior, 2.3 TURBO/4-speed and only 27,667 miles on it (running like brand new). I know I found a great one at rock bottom prices, as I've seen many selling for much more than that.

As for the Yellow Cobras being hard to come by, well I don't know. Mine was Red/Black with the Yellow decals. I've since changed it over to the Yellow/Black with Orange decals after seeing a picture of one on the internet. By the way, mine is the only one I've ever seen in person. I have seen many online
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

RedFox82

I have a video called "The Ultimate Mustang" which states there were approx 7,000 cars ordered with the option. And a book as well "forget what called" which says 7,000 79 Cobra's were made. So, being as it was an option, rather than another model, I would assume that by "made" they mean "ordered" ???

Anywho, the 79 Cobra, although not a different model, just a options car, was still the top "model" Mustang for 79. It was more than just stickers. Did have performance peices that came with. *Read previous post.

Where-as the 79 Pace Cars, were only replica's. I beleive they were only stickers, lights, air dam, premium wheels and suspension, kinda like a 82 GT reallly. So, they weren't exactly the top model. Unless your speaking of the REAL 79 Pace Cars, with what.. 175hp?... but only 3 were made, so, not like they were an actual production car for 79.

I for one would like to see some official FoMoCo documentation regarding the Cobra package production. I can't remember how many times I've seen numbers thrown around about how many of this option or that option were produced with the source of the number being a magazine, a book, an Internet message board, a Webpage, etc. Being as FoMoCo has never officially released such figures, where did they come from?

Regarding which was the top of the line model or not, recall the 1979 Mustang Indy 500 Options topic...

Quote Originally Posted by bc79indy
    ALL of the 1979 Pace Cars came from the factory with the sunroof. That includes all the Canadian cars (my car was a Canadian car, and every other one I've seen has the sunroof, plus all the records from the factory show that there were none that got out the door without them). Here's a list of standard features:

- TRX suspension package and metric TRX rims with Michelin 190/65HR390 tires,
    - special pewter metallic and satin-back exterior color scheme,
    - blacked out trim,
    - unique grill and deep front air dam,
    - Marchal fog lights,
    - a reverse-style cowl induction hood scoop,
    - rear decklid spoiler,
    - halogen headlights,
    - Recaro bucket seats with a distinctive checkered pattern,
    - premium Sound system with the amp and either the AM/FM cassette or 8-track,
    - simulated engine-turned dash inserts,
    - center console with digital clock and diagnostic panel;
    - interval windshield wipers
    - deluxe seatbelts
    - sound insulation package,
    - deep-pile carpeting,
    - dual remote outside mirrors, and
    - the Indianapolis Motor Speedway rectangular plaque affixed to the right side of the dash.

The OFFICIAL PACE CAR lettering was provided in a box with the car from the factory, and could be installed by the dealer, or left off the car, at the purchaser's request. Engine options were the 302 V-8 and the 2.3L turbocharged 4-cylinder. The 5.0 was offered with either a 4-speed manual or 3-speed automatic transmission, while the turbo-4 could only be ordered with the 4-speed.

Options included:

- tilt steering wheel,
    - cruise control,
    - A/C (this surprises a lot of people, but you could get these cars without A/C, but most of the none-A/C cars ended up going to Canada... I guess they figured it was too cold up here to need A/C ),
    - interior lighting package (map light, etc.)
    - power locks and mirrors,
    - rear window defroster
    - rear hatch window wiper
    - rear louvers (dealer installed option)

These cars came pretty loaded from the factory, so the option list is fairly limited. The cars were EXPENSIVE too! Mine listed for $11,927.30 when new, and a similarly optioned 1979 Ghia or Cobra would have been around $6000, from what I have found.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Power Member

Well its obvious that the pace car had the most options available. With that said, this will be for REDFOX. I'm pretty sure that the cobra, pace car and a regular hatchback with the TRX package were all exactly the same as far as performance goes. So what performance options were available for the cobra that were not offered with the pace car or any other hatchback with the TRX package. By the way the TRX package was listed as a $33 option in 79. Although better than the standard, I would hardly call it a performance package. I am now on my 2nd turbo 2.3l pace car and have owned 2 2.3L capri turbo cars also. I love the cars but the performance just plain out sucks. There isn't much performance about it. We're talking about between 131-140hp from the turbo cars and I believe around 139hp from the 302 cars. The 302 being the quicker car of course because it had a lot more torque and it took the small 6lb boost turbo awhile to get spooled up. Anyway now that i've said my piece about that. I would say that you got one hell of a deal on your cobra with that low miles. I'm pretty sure that the checkered seats that came in the pace car were an option as well with all other models. As i've seen them in a few other non pace car stangs and a few capris as well. Probably not likely that they were all extracted from pace cars. This cobra does have them and they are in very good condition. I have heard that the fabric alone is going for around $1500 for that pattern. I believe that that information came from BCINDY. Anyway I have seen one more 79 cobra than you have and that includes this one that is for sale. I saw a blue and black one. Of course like you I have seen them in magazines and on TV. But it kinda makes you wonder how many are left? Never the less I find them to be pretty cool and i'm still going to try to talk my brother into buying this one for $3000. Thanks for the info!!!
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

Thanks for the comments. My cobra was pretty heavily optioned as well. I was lucky enough to get the following.

Cruise Control
    Tilt Wheel
    Power Door Locks
    Interval Wipers
    Engine Turned Dash Bezels
    Air conditioning
    AM/FM Stereo
    Vinyl bucket seats with 4 way driver's seat (moves up and down as well as back and forth)
    Full Center Console with digital clock and diagnostic panel
    Sunroof (with plastic louvered interior sunshade)
    Rear Window Defrost
    Rear Window Louvers
    Hood Graphic Decal Kit

My drivetrain consisted of the following.

2.3 Liter Turbo 4 cylinder
    4 speed
    7.5 inch rearend with 3.45 gears
    TRX Metric wheels and suspension package

You are right that the drivetrains are weak. Though mine was all original and ran like it just rolled out of the factory, it was slow as molasses. Everything worked on my car before I totally stripped it to the core except for the cruise control. It has a wire with a plug in conncetor that attaches to the speedometer cable and it was run too close to the Turbo and melted. I'm converting it over to a V-8 with twin four barrels/5 speed Tremec and an 8.8 rearend with 4.30 gears. I'll be flying then. I can't wait until I'm done.

Beg, plead, and prod your brother into buying the Cobra. He'll definitely have something that other's won't. For what it's worth, you can still get the decal kits. I had mine custom made by Phoenix Graphix a little over a year ago and the cost was $207.00.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

RedFox82

I retract my previous statements :P The fact that I even wrote that, knowing bloody well what options came on the Pace Car Reps, I might as well go shoot myself in the back yard. I don't think living on bread and water is good for my brain

FEP Power Member

Yes I have been trying to get my brother to buy this cobra for about 2mo now. The owner isn't advertising it so not many people know that its for sale. My brother says he wants the car but he's one of those guys that tends to change his mind at least 2-3 times PER DAY so who knows. My pace car has more miles than your cobra did but like yours my cruise control is the only thing that doesn't work. Everything else does. It needs both interior and body work though. As for the decals I have seen a few places that make the reproduction decals for my pace car but I haven't seen any that do them for the cobra. Actually i'd like to buy the cobra for myself but I don't really have the space for it. The only dissagrement that I would have with you is that your taking out the 2.3L from your cobra. I think they are a little neater with the original turbo motor, just because most of them were either blown up or swapped out for the V8. I have heard with some modifications a person can make a carbed 2.3 run pretty good. I will let you know what I can come up with when I get started on mine. That won't be for a bit though. I live in Colorado and my car is under a 6-7ft snow drift at the moment. Can't even see it, lol.
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

FEP Power Member

lol @ redfox. No just bread and water can't be that healthy. No worries though. Just thought you might have had some info that I had not read yet. Always interested in learning something new.
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

RedFox82

Well hey, buy my car, then I can afford something healthier!

Anonymous

i swear man i'm going to buy the COBRA.. and the icky draw through turbo setup will stay intact just cause you never see them anymore. i like to be different :P

FEP Member

Just a little tidbits of info for you all. My copy of 8-78 "Hot Rod" said all 2.3 Turbo got TRX suspension/handling package automaticly. But could be had on any '79. Performance on the 302 came in at 16.70 at 81mph 1/4 mile. Although they didn't have the turbo to test they claimed it was quicker in the 15 second range and 0-60 times of 8.5 sec vs. 9.2 on the V8. 6 cyl cars were all automatic and not reported in this artical. Also they don't come out and say recaro, but they say a brand-new replacement seat reportedly was deleted as a last-minute budget consideration for the '79 models. But it could win approval in time for the '80 models. Well we know it made it in the pace car mid year production.
    Just for laughs there is also a 67 Shelby GT 500 listed in the back for 6000 obo. If I could go back in time?
    01 F250 Lariat SC 4x4 and it's paid for. Still loving the V10

RedFox82

If I could go back in time i'd buy one brand new for what was it..$3g's?

FEP Power Member

Just to let you know, i'm not sure if they actually tested the 2.3T and the 5.0 for the 79 model year. But from what I've read the 5.0 was quite a bit faster and it makes sence. Most places state that the 2.3T was rated at 1 more hp than the 5.0. Even if that is the case the 5.0 would still be quicker all around. This is true because the 5.0 produced more off the line torque than the 2.3T and with the exaust cross over pipe used in the turbo applications it takes a few seconds alone just to start making boost. I'm not positive but if I remember correctly the 5.0 pace cars were a few seconds quicker in the quarter mile than the 2.3T. I think the 2.3T's were somewhere in the 17-18second range at sea level. Don't quote me on those numbers though. That is just what I remember reading, i'm probably a little off.
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe