Close

Default Oil Level Light (Can I get it working without the Information Center)?

I was thinking of wiring up a 12+ volt ignition source to a light and have the ground controlled by the level sender, so that I could have a bulb light up in the dash if I run low on oil.

Has anyone done this, and been able to get the low oil light working without the information center? Looking at the wiring diagrams, there is an oil level timer in the circuit, but I have no idea what it does.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

Anyone?
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

The low oil sender isn't just a simple switch, and it also has no connection with the info center.

A separate module under the dash checks the low oil sensor at startup, and sets the light either on or off.
    Once the engine is running, the light doesn't change. The module also has a short-term memory function, so
    if you stop the engine, and start it back up again before the oil has drained back to the pan, the light won't
    come on unless it already was on. (In practice it sometimes will, especially if the oil level is marginal.)

Just connecting the light directly to the sensor would cause the light to be on whenever the engine is running.
    Last edited by JACook; 12-15-2017 at 04:42 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Thanks Jeff... I guess it sounds like I won't be trying to get it to work on its own. I don't think I have the oil level module, and/or half the wiring... other than the lead going down to the oil pan. I asked if it was connected to the info center, as I thought the oil level light illuminated in the info center... if its not there, where is the light?

Bottom light in the left side of the gauge cluster according to one of the dash bezels I have in the basement. I have had several gauge clusters, but not one of them has had a circuit going to that light bulb.

Cale

If you have a lead going down to the oil pan remove the instrument cluster bezel and check for the presence of a bulb in the lowest indicator lamp slot. The bulb could be blown or the socket could be loose from the cluster and hanging inside the dash.

Name:  Screenshot_20171217-053412.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  29.1 KB
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 12-17-2017 at 05:40 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags