Close

Default 2002 V-6 Fan Install

Howdy and good evening!

I just finished installing an electric fan from a V-6 mustang and thought I might share with you all. So far it seems to be working pretty good. So far I am invested about $60 in this project. I had to trim the fan housing around the motor to get clearance. Fabricate a couple brackets with some hardware items around the garage and Presto! ? It almost looks like it was supposed to be there.

Name:  031.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  68.3 KB
    Name:  019.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  64.4 KB

I got the fan at the local Pick a part from a 2002 V-6 Mustang and purchased a fan controller from Oreilly Auto HDN 3647.

I thought I would share in case anyone else found this useful.

Currently, the engine is 100% stock, right down to the terrible headers and 2 into 1 Y-pipe exhaust.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks nice! Just a word of warning though. You should find out how many amps that fan draws on start-up and make sure your controller is up to the task. I bought a similar one years ago and used it to run an OEM Ford fan, and it ended up failing (on very hot day away from home) on me because the amp capacity of the relay wasn't nearly what it needed to be to run the fan. Good luck!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I have searched around a bit and haven't found any numbers on amp draw. I ran it in the driveway for about an hour and the controller didn't get hot. However, the battery voltage slowly dropped when I turned everything on at idle. I'll likely upgrade the alternator in the spring if Santa dosen't bring me one for Christmas.