Close

Default Convertible boot well moulding / hockey sticks questions

I have 1983 convertible that uses the 83-86 style convertible top boot well moulding (left hand and right hand sides). I have to replace both due to studs coming out / cracking when removing to paint the car. No problem finding those as several companies sell them. Additionally, I have the quarter window trim moulding's that hold the dew wipes for the quarter windows.....both are cracked / brittle and studs broke on those as well. Nobody seems to sell these.

My question is, will 87-93 boot well moulding's / hockey sticks fit the 83-86 convertibles? They appear to be a one piece design that includes coverage through the quarter window area, thus eliminating the need to have a separate quarter window trim moulding. The same dew wipes that fit the 83-86 mustangs also mount up to the 87-93 boot well moulding.

Anybody try this and will it work? If not, any good sources for the quarter window trim moulding for both sides?

Are the 83-86 convertible rear body quarter panels the same as the 87-93? That might give me enough info to purchase one of the top boot moldings to see if it will match up. I would think if the top of the rear quarter panels on these convertibles are the same then the top boot well moldings for an 87-93 should fit. I may have to drill a few holes for the studs if they are in different locations than the 83-86 model but that wouldn't be a big deal.

Thoughts on that?

Thanks.

FEP Senior Member

I am sure that you can use the 87- 93 well moldings on your 83 (I had both a 83 and a 89 in resto and are basically the same, the 89 a bit "better" cut than the 83. At one point I considered exactly what you are asking because my quarter window exterior moldings (the short sections that run along the window) were broken as well. I ended up not doing it thanks to someone on this forum that helped me find the parts in a junkyard,

Anyway, If you want them to fit correctly, you would need both top well moldings (left and right) as well as the bottom moldings (these go below the top ones and protect your paint from scratches when you install the top boot).

Then you will also need the door window moldings from the 87-93 because that's the only way they would match with quarter moldings. I am not sure if you would have to change the side mirrors as well.

It might be just easier to source your quarter window moldings from a junkyard and keep it original. That's what I ended up doing.

Thank you! Looks like I'll search for the correct moldings for 83-86. I appreciate the info.

There were some aero changes from 87-89 to 90-93, not sure what exactly, but be aware of it if looking for an aero piece for your four eye.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

When I did my 85 GT vert back in 2011, there was nobody that carried the 2 separate weather striping for the 83-86 cars. The only way I could get it was to buy the 87 up 1 piece design and modify it. My aluminum and plastic moldings were fine, other than needing a fresh coat of paint, so that's what I did. I can't remember what I had to modify but it wasn't bad. I sent documentation to the vendor for future problem solving, but don't know what they did with it after that.

I did utilize some 3/4" black caulk tape under the moldings for a good seal and extra holding power. However, the only place I was able to find it was a local RV dealership. This takes some of the stress off the mounting studs and helps secure and/or seal them.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thanks all. The good news is the weather striping is available now for both the outer and inner on the quarter windows. I just haven't found a source yet for the smaller moldings on the outside with the studs that the weather stripping attaches to. I've been looking for new so going to start my search for used one's now. I've not seen many salvage yards in the Nashville, TN area that have a good supply of four eyed convertibles so going to have to look elsewhere.