Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Screws and inserts for wagon wheel center caps

Just bought 4 refurbished wheels and have the center caps on order. What I need now is the plastic inserts and screws for the center caps. Looking for a part number for both items or a link to them. They just push into the wheels.
    So far everyone here has been able to come through for me, so I hope that trend keeps.
    Don

FEP Senior Member

After hours of searching, I believe that I found the part number for the inserts. Ford refers to them as "anchors". I found the part # D6FZ-1A100-A.
    If anyone can confirm, that would help. Also if you have one of these wagon wheel, could you take a look at one and see if it has a center pin that expands the outer part? I did find a pack on Ebay for@ $35 shipped for 20 pieces. Seems pricey for what they are.

You should be able to get something similar at your local hardware store or in the hardware section at Lowes, ect.... I used some years ago on a project that were rubber and worked with 10/24 screws, which I believe will work on those wheels. They called them "Nut-serts" at Lowes back then. Others call them "Tinnerman Nuts"

You'll have to measure the holes in the wheels to see if something like this could be pressed/beat in.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-Stee...oAAOSwridZ74Du
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 11-27-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I remember the inserts looked like white nylon molys (like you would use to anchor a screw in sheetrock). The fit was pretty tight when I took them out to restore the wheel and then put them back. The screws had a chrome head on them - it was the screw along with the fit of the insert that held it in place. I don't remember that pin sticking up like the ones in the eBay listing.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

FEP Senior Member

I had these rims on a 84 LX that I bought brand new. I remember the look of them, and don't remember the pin either. The pin is the wedge that you drive down in to spread them out tight in the hole. But that is the only ones I found that look the part, and may be the right ones.

Good call...I bet typical plastic wall anchors with either a #8 or #10 nickle plated wood screw would do the trick.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Hey Don check out this ad: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...plate-brackets

Those inserts for the license plates screws look like they would work. You should be able to find these in a local pick-a-part, or a hardware store or maybe the HELP section at your local McParts stores.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FEP Senior Member

Jason, those type are for square holes, and have a groove to snap into the hole. They are too big and not long enough.
    Thanks for looking though.