Close

Default 1985 4barrel carb questions

I have some part numbers I need verified from a carb.
    E5ZEGA
    A5A15
    I know Z is mustang so Im fairly certain I have a 1985 carb but was there any variations or just one?
    I also have 2 of the tin plates but I'm pretty sure at least one is for a truck but I dont know about the second one.
    E3ZE AA
    I think there is a date of 9 1 82, so my question with this piece is there a newer version or will this be the same for a 1985 4 barrel?
    I would show pics but I cant seem to get it to work right at the moment. User problem nothing else?

I have several of the E5ZE-GA carbs, and they are all identical, though I have seen some E5ZE-GA carbs
    that have the choke pulloff diaphragm cover clocked differently. And I believe the early '85s used the nearly
    identical late-'84 E4ZE-SA version.

I've never had an '83-early '84 heat shield, but from prior discussions, they have some minor differences vs
    the late '84-'85 shield. The '83 version sticks out wider at the rear of the carb, and the bit that sticks up over
    the EGR valve is shorter. In the front, the '83 version has a sort of trough to provide clearance for the vacuum
    nipples, where the '85 version has two separate humps.
    Last edited by JACook; 11-23-2017 at 09:27 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

prior conversation

I see two types, I think the 83-84 was one type, then a revised 85. Sadly, I don't know which is which.

My guess is the extended one is the later one. JA Cook said that the intake manifold had some sensor revisions for 1984, and its possible that it spawned a revised heat shield.

Some pictures might help jog someones memories here.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Sure that the early one is the larger shield, not tapered or reduced in size.

For 1985, the passenger side, under the vac sec pot and choke, the heat shield back is chamfered, scolloped out, tapered back.

This is the later one from Marz post #10 on 08-02-2010, 07:08 AM

His is an 85 with just a different 34-6 metering block mod form an old 4150 that I had laying around. Its an 85 carb with smaller 85 heat shield, though.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...or-4180-300-HP

Mustang Kid's 85 has the same chamfered, scolloped out, tapered back foot print on his 85.
    Post#3 10-11-2011, 04:01 PM http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-Holley-4180

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...7/IMG_2838.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...7/IMG_2841.jpg

83 and 84 were bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    A while back, I bought a take-off '84 carb, along with the stock intake, EGR spacer, and all the plumbing
    still intact. The heat shield also carries engineering number E4ZE-9S596-AE, but does not have the tab
    sticking out on the driver side. It looks very similar to the one in post #32, except at the front, it only
    has the one raised hump on the driver side, with the drop-down on the passenger side like the one in post
    #33.

The engineering number is stamped at the rear, between the bores and the kick-up. Date code is 4 4 84.
    So chalk this up to vendor differences, I suppose.

The cut-out on the passenger-side front of the shield is for clearance to the ignition coil, which was mounted
    in the same location on all of the carbureted GTs.

I also have a plate that has an 85 truck part number on it. It looks different but somehow seems like it is more correct. I don't know though

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  121.1 KB
    It looks like some one has installed a quick change kit on the secondary spring though.